Newbie looking for advice!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MudHappy

Newbie looking for advice!

Post by MudHappy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Hey everyone! I just got my machine the other day. I have severe sleep apnea with an AHI of 85, so I was given a BPAP machine with a nasal mask with a pressure of 17. I tried the full face mask at my sleep study and I could NOT do it! So anyway, I used it the first night just fine, but noticed a few times there was a leak going into my right eye. It wasn't like that all night though, so I ignored it after trying to fix it. Last night I put it back on and after almost an hour of tightening and readjusting, I could NOT get it to stop leaking! I'm not sure what else to do! I got so frustrated that I just took it off.
Does anyone else with a high pressure use this particular mask? All I see on the package it came in is that it's called 3B Aerie Nasal Mask with headgear. I know I really need to wear this at night so I would like to be able to wear it without it leaking. Tips? Advice?

Sheriff Buford

Re: Newbie looking for advice!

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Most folks go through several masks until they find one that is comfortable and doesn't leak. You might try a mask liner. You can get an old T-shirt and cut it to fit your mask. If it works, look at padacheek.com to get a custom fitted

Sheriff

MudHappy

Post by MudHappy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:48 pm

I really want to be able to use this mask at least until I go for my follow up at the doctor. I had no idea that most people go through multiple masks before finding one that works. Ugh, I hate to hear that!

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:48 pm

I haven't seen many people here using 3B Aerie Nasal Mask and the RESmart Bilevel but there are a few with the machine. I'm not sure what type of data your machine will give but it doesn't give all the info that ResMed or Respironics do. Does it give information on your leaks?
How did you go about picking this machine? If the DME decided this was the machine for you, I would take it back and request one of the 2 top manufactures either ResMed or Respironics. Both their bilevel machines are compatible with software where you can read the SD card data. This is an economical machine that provides more profit for the DME. If you use insurance, insurance pays the same for any bilevel machine so if the DME can sell you on a cheaper model they win.

Why did you pick a nasal mask instead of the nasal pillows? Since you want to keep trying this mask, here is a video that might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnxSzMv7IZM
If you can't stop the leaks, check with your DME to see what their mask replacement policy is. Many will allow one trade in the first 30 days.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

biz64

Post by biz64 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:10 pm

You should be able to change your mask within the first 30 days with no charge. Call your DME and ask for a mask refit. Maybe try some by Resmed or Respironics.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Heed this advice...
biz64 wrote:You should be able to change your mask within the first 30 days with no charge. Call your DME and ask for a mask refit. Maybe try some by Resmed or Respironics.
Tho I prefer the Resmed masks to Respironics cuz I think they seal better, at least the older ones did. If you DME won't get you another mask or a cpap that provides data and works with Sleepyhead then it is time to find a DME who will. Check with your insurance first.

There is a lot to learn with this but sleep with it as long as you can each nite. Each nite should be a little longer than the last.

This is from another post but you may find it helpful...
The seal is designed to be inflated with air to mold to the contour of the face. If you are compressing the seal then that is likely the problem as it will cause leaks. Straps too tight will cause leaks.

You see when using an auto cpap and the pressure increases this puts more stress on the straps stretching them.

Before bedtime set the cpap to a higher pressure than you expect to use.
Lay down and adjust straps while in your sleeping position with the cpap ON at your max pressure.
Adj straps so that all leaks just stop. You should have enuff room between the straps and your face to slip in two fingers. Check several areas.

nobody

Post by nobody » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:53 am

Hello. It might be helpful to know that what can feel like a mask leak into the eye isn't a leak at all but is the air going up the tear duct and getting into the eye. This frustrated me endlessly when I first started because there's no amount of adjusting the mask you can do to stop it from happening since it's all internal. Eventually I had to see an eye doctor to get punctal plugs put into my tear ducts. At first I got all 4 of them done, which was perfect for sleeping with the CPAP but unfortunately my eyes watered continuously during the day. So I got 2 of them removed and the other two have been in there ever since. I can sometimes feel a little air on my eyes but it's nothing like without the punctal plugs. So keep in mind that this may be what's happening to you and not a mask leak. Since punctal plugs are expensive to have put in, definitely try other masks and adjustments first, but keep in mind this may be what's happening.