Airsense Autoset for Her....do you use the "Her" setting?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TangledHose

Airsense Autoset for Her....do you use the "Her" setting?

Post by TangledHose » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm

I am helping a friend that is a newbie and a female with her new Airsense Autoset..........she has an Autoset for Her model on order and I would like to ask the females, and males for that matter, that have the "For Her" model if you indeed run the machine on the For Her algorithm? If so, do you like it better than the standard Autoset algorithm -- just looking for some feedback on the" For Her" setting.....pros and cons.......thanks

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Wulfman...

Re: Airsense Autoset for Her....do you use the "Her" setting?

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:33 pm

I would think it would be an individual decision based on studying the reports.
In other words, if the user (male of female) has (or doesn't have) certain sleep-breathing characteristics, then that should determine whether or not they should use that mode. Experimentation would be the key to deciding. Having a machine with more options is always a benefit......whether they're used or not.

Den

From the manual:

AutoSet for Her mode

AutoSet for Her mode is based on key aspects of ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm and delivers
therapeutic responses tailored to the characteristics of female OSA patients.
The AutoSet for Her is similar to ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm with the following modifications:
· Reduced rate of pressure increments designed to help prevent arousals.
· Slower pressure decays.
· Treats apneas up to 12 cm H2O and continues to respond to flow limitation and snore up to 20 cm H2O.
· Minimum pressure (Min. Pressure) that adjusts according to the frequency of apneas:
If two apneas occur within a minute, the pressure reached in response to the second apnea will
become the new minimum treatment pressure until the next treatment session.

Patients who use AutoSet for Her will still get the benefits of ResMed's AutoSet technology
including improved sensitivity to flow-limitation and Central Sleep Apnoea Detection with Forced
Oscillation Technique.

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:54 pm

I use the For Her setting. I tried the For Her setting for a week, then the standard algorithm for a week. I had better results with the For Her setting. Nothing wrong with the standard algorithm, but it is a bit more aggressive and I am more likely to wake up at an increased pressure than with the For Her setting.

My suggestion is to pick one or the other for the first month. Get a line using Sleepyhead to see where your data is. Then try the other setting for a week. IF no difference, great! If there is, then you know the preferred setting and that could help you determine what sort of backup machine you should look for in future.

The graphs look a little different, but not significantly.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:08 pm

I recently purchased the For Her model and have used it for a couple of weeks on the regular setting. I am getting outstanding results so I have not been tempted to try the "For Her" setting but I will at some point and post back. By the way, I purchased this particular machine because the health care system in Canada apparently thinks the AutoSense 10 For Her is a CPAP machine, not an APAP. This means it can be purchased with only a prescription for a CPAP. Doctors up here will not write an APAP prescription unless you meet the requirements for one (which I don't). Apparently having bad aerophagea and wanting to reduce time spent at high pressures doesn't cut it. In any case, I was able to buy the For Her model with my CPAP prescription and I actually prefer it to the regular AutoSense as it has the extra capability without giving up anything. I like the white plastic better than the black as well so it's a win all around.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:33 pm

I have only used the "for Her" setting with this machine.
I love it.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

She is using a regular Airsense Autoset for now until the For Her Model comes in so we will have 10 or more days of Sleepyhead data to compare to the For Her model. If the data, or her comfort is different between the two I'll present some findings here.

Thanks again

-TH

Link to Sleepyhead:

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:50 am

I switched mine to the "For Her" mode last night for the first time and am reporting back as I said I would. It felt the same but I got very good results. My AHI for last night was .47. My average AHI since getting this machine in early December is 1.54. The pressure graph looks different than before. Pressure was above average but I only hit max pressure once during the night. I usually hit it several times. This good result may just be an outlier; one night does not make a trend but, for now, I will continue using the "For Her" setting. I am running with pressure range 7 to 11 and EPR at 3. I am very happy with this machine.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks for the feedback Bob, that's helpful.......my friend should be getting her "For Her" machine sometime later this week, so she will have about ten nights on the regular Autoset for comparison data. She is running similar pressure as you too, I've got her on 8cm to 11cm right now, however, we will probably end up slightly higher eventually based on Sleepyhead data. The DME had initially set the machine up in a more "Wide Open" range of 5cm to 15cm and she was getting sub par AHI (primarily obstructive) results so I've been helping out with Sleepyhead data, and her numbers are substantially better as we get the settings fine tuned.

She's a great patient so far in terms of compliance, her very first night on the hose she stayed on it for 9 hours and has been compliant every night so far -- off to a great start!!!

Link to Sleepyhead:

joelrk35

Post by joelrk35 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:45 pm

TangledHose wrote:I am helping a friend that is a newbie and a female with her new Airsense Autoset..........she has an Autoset for Her model on order and I would like to ask the females, and males for that matter, that have the "For Her" model if you indeed run the machine on the For Her algorithm? If so, do you like it better than the standard Autoset algorithm -- just looking for some feedback on the" For Her" setting.....pros and cons.......thanks
I have the AirSense 10 Autoset for her model. When I first got it I tried the For Her mode for one month and then ran for one month in regular mode without changing any parameters. I found no statistical difference. That being said, not everyone will get the same results so you have to experiment to see which gives better results for you. Good luck.

Additional Comments: ClimateLine Heated hose, Sleepyhead software
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
ResMed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask