Anyone found a nasal pillow mask they like better than P10?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Paul_H

Re: Anyone found a nasal pillow mask they like better than P10?

Post by Paul_H » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:11 am

LSAT wrote:You might try this at amazon...Pilairo...
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +cpap+mask

Thanks for the thought. I did not know that Amazon Global existed, so I'll keep that in mind for future reference. However, though they carry the Pilairo, the supplier I normally use in Canada carries that too, and the Brevida is not available on Amazon Global.

Paul_H

Post by Paul_H » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:18 am

TonyG wrote:
Paul_H wrote:
TonyG wrote:
frapilu wrote:
mw757 wrote:I've been using a F&P Brevida mask for about a month. It replaces my P10 and so far I prefer it. My leak rate is consistently lower, there's less pressure on my nose and the strap is adjustable. I'm a side sleeper and the Brevida seems to shift around less.
That's odd, cpap.com doesn't carry seem to carry it. I wonder why.

France
They don't carry it because it is not available in the USA as yet. It is however available in Canada.
Hi Tony:

Greetings from Vancouver Island. I'm interested in this mask if it will reduce my leak rate. The only place I can find that sells this mask in Canada is CPAP Clinic in Toronto (https://www.cpapclinic.ca/). The dealer I normally use, Canada CPAP Supply (http://canadacpapsupply.com/) does not yet carry them. CPAP Clinic prices seem a lot higher than Canada CPAP Supply (they sell the P10 for $175 vs $108 - both are advertised as sale prices, but $108 has been the price at Canada CPAP Supply for over 2 years now).

Can you suggest any other dealers in Canada who might carry the Brevida?

Paul

THis is the best price I have found.... https://sleepapneasolutions.ca/masks/fi ... el-brevida The link won't show you the price until you set up an account but fyi it is $115.00.
It is a $148 here https://www.cpapmachines.ca/collections ... llow-masks

Hi Tony:

Thanks for that great info! That price at Sleep Apnea Solutions is great. I just created an account, and I think I will order one today.

Paul

mw757

Post by mw757 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:42 pm

Paul_H wrote:I really like my P10 but I have a fairly consistently high leak rate, which for some reason has increased over the 2+ years I've used it (new pillows, so they are not to blame). Have you experienced a significantly lower leak rate? I see I can buy these in Canada, but they are twice the price of the P10, at least at the supplier I've been using, which does not yet carry this mask.

Thanks for any info.
I found my leak rate dropped from mid 20's to mid teens. As a side sleeper, the design of the Brevida seems to stay more secured without having to push more firmly into my nostrils. I personally find it more comfortable than the P10
I purchased mine at https://www.cpapmachines.ca/collections/cpap-masks. Fast delivery and no issues, $150 Cdn.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:54 pm

I like the resmed Swift LT because it has sturdier headgear than the p10. I read somewhere that washing the p10 head gear kept it tight, so I may try the p10 again. The p10 is quite comfortable.

Amazon.com has new resmed p10's for $60-$65 including shipping, so it's tempting to try one again.

sewsleepy

Post by sewsleepy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:12 pm

SewTired wrote:I love the P10, but it bruises my nose. The straps just aren't long enough for my head.
I have this same issue and it kept me from using the P10 for a long time. Then I started using it, using my husbands old strap from his which was stretched out. I prefer it loose. I just bought a new one and I tried washing it and stretching it over a box to dry so it would stretch out a few times, it seemed to help a lot.

I really hate how you can't pop the section with the vent holes off from the hose easily to clean. That would make it much easier to keep up on it. I have a hose cover on it so I have to remove that, then remove the headgear part and it all gets too detailed to do often.

I also like the FX and alternate the two masks, because each one has something minor that bugs me.
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP with Heated Tube Humidifier, Airfit P10 mask

Paul_H

Post by Paul_H » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:25 pm

mw757 wrote:
Paul_H wrote:I really like my P10 but I have a fairly consistently high leak rate, which for some reason has increased over the 2+ years I've used it (new pillows, so they are not to blame). Have you experienced a significantly lower leak rate? I see I can buy these in Canada, but they are twice the price of the P10, at least at the supplier I've been using, which does not yet carry this mask.

Thanks for any info.
I found my leak rate dropped from mid 20's to mid teens. As a side sleeper, the design of the Brevida seems to stay more secured without having to push more firmly into my nostrils. I personally find it more comfortable than the P10
I purchased mine at https://www.cpapmachines.ca/collections/cpap-masks. Fast delivery and no issues, $150 Cdn.
Thanks for the information. That's a significant reduction in leak rate. Thanks also for the website - just added that to my list of Canadian suppliers.

Paul_H

Post by Paul_H » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:27 pm

sewsleepy wrote:
SewTired wrote:I love the P10, but it bruises my nose. The straps just aren't long enough for my head.
I have this same issue and it kept me from using the P10 for a long time. Then I started using it, using my husbands old strap from his which was stretched out. I prefer it loose. I just bought a new one and I tried washing it and stretching it over a box to dry so it would stretch out a few times, it seemed to help a lot.

I really hate how you can't pop the section with the vent holes off from the hose easily to clean. That would make it much easier to keep up on it. I have a hose cover on it so I have to remove that, then remove the headgear part and it all gets too detailed to do often.

I also like the FX and alternate the two masks, because each one has something minor that bugs me.

I also have a Swift FX, which I have not used in over 2 years. Perhaps it's time to give that another shot before splurging on a new mask.

frapilu

Post by frapilu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:58 pm

TonyG wrote:
frapilu wrote:
mw757 wrote:I've been using a F&P Brevida mask for about a month. It replaces my P10 and so far I prefer it. My leak rate is consistently lower, there's less pressure on my nose and the strap is adjustable. I'm a side sleeper and the Brevida seems to shift around less.
That's odd, cpap.com doesn't carry seem to carry it. I wonder why.

France
They don't carry it because it is not available in the USA as yet. It is however available in Canada.
Wow, that's a switch! Usually masks come out in the USA first and we can't get them in Canada for a while.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:43 am

I just received a Brevida Mask from the Canadian company cpapmachines.com that Mw757 provided the link for.

The ordering was super easy. I didn't even have to send in my prescription and they accept PayPal.

I'll be trying it tonight. Interested to see how I like it compared to my favourites - P10 and Dreamwear. Will let you all know after a few days.

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:57 am

F&P Brevida
I am a staunch P10 user but like a lot of others I take issue with the headgear. I use a M pillow in the P10. I was afforded an opportunity to trial a Brevida the last few days and I thought I would post my thoughts on it. Unfortunately the only pillow available was the XS-S one and I am pretty certain i would be better served with the M-L one. Regardless I took it based on the fact I can use the P10 with all 3 pillow sizes with similar results. Here are my first impressions:

- the overall weight is only slightly heavier then the P10. I really don't notice it.
- the actual mask is made of silicon rather then the hard plastic in the P10 and is extremely soft. It actually wraps around and over the tip of your nose making for a great seal.
- the pillows themselves are constructed a bit different from the P10 but are much thinner and way softer then the P10. When positioned properly in your nose they are hardly noticeable. Very comfortable. I sleep on my side and may turn from side to side occasionally but the pillows stay firmly in place.
- the headgear is adjustable and will take most people a bit of time to properly adjust but once you get it right it will be very comfortable. I have to say I prefer it to the P10 although you may find yourself fiddling with it constantly because you can. I don't hate the P10 headgear but one size very seldom fits all and I just find the Brevida much more comfortable. You would be amazed at how loose you can keep this mask and still provide leak free therapy. For the very vane I will say that the headgear leaves no strap marks on my face ( touch wood on that). It was a pleasant surprise but I had similar results with the Simplus from F&P.
- One thing you keep reading about here is the problems people perceive to have with the P10 diffuser. Personally I don't have that problem but for those that do you will love the Brevida in that regard. I am sure many will say that it is not exhausting your breathed air but that is hogwash. The Brevida has a removable/washable filter that covers the diffuser holes on the mask. All you have to do is take the cover off and you will feel the air movement. With the filter on you can hardly notice anything at all, just like the P10. Deadly quiet. The mask can be used with the filter either on or off if you choose and prefer the feel of the moving air. This technology is the same used on F&P Eson2.
- The short hose is a bit shorter on the Brevida then the P10 and I prefer the P10 in that regard. The Brevida swivels 360 degrees but I actually prefer the fixed. I have only used it a few nights so still playing with that when it comes to turning from one side to the other.

I don't know if I missed anything but if you have questions send me a PM and I will edit my thoughts here. I will say I think this mask is every bit as quiet or quieter then the P10 which says a lot. I am a big fan of F&P products and until I tried the P10 I had used nothing else. Both would be considered 5 star with me. Hopefully I can get my hands on the M-L pillows to see if that improves on an already great fit and comfort.

JimP

Post by JimP » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:06 pm

TonyG wrote:F&P Brevida
I am a staunch P10 user but like a lot of others I take issue with the headgear. I use a M pillow in the P10. I was afforded an opportunity to trial a Brevida the last few days and I thought I would post my thoughts on it. Unfortunately the only pillow available was the XS-S one and I am pretty certain i would be better served with the M-L one. Regardless I took it based on the fact I can use the P10 with all 3 pillow sizes with similar results. Here are my first impressions:

- the overall weight is only slightly heavier then the P10. I really don't notice it.
- the actual mask is made of silicon rather then the hard plastic in the P10 and is extremely soft. It actually wraps around and over the tip of your nose making for a great seal.
- the pillows themselves are constructed a bit different from the P10 but are much thinner and way softer then the P10. When positioned properly in your nose they are hardly noticeable. Very comfortable. I sleep on my side and may turn from side to side occasionally but the pillows stay firmly in place.
- the headgear is adjustable and will take most people a bit of time to properly adjust but once you get it right it will be very comfortable. I have to say I prefer it to the P10 although you may find yourself fiddling with it constantly because you can. I don't hate the P10 headgear but one size very seldom fits all and I just find the Brevida much more comfortable. You would be amazed at how loose you can keep this mask and still provide leak free therapy. For the very vane I will say that the headgear leaves no strap marks on my face ( touch wood on that). It was a pleasant surprise but I had similar results with the Simplus from F&P.
- One thing you keep reading about here is the problems people perceive to have with the P10 diffuser. Personally I don't have that problem but for those that do you will love the Brevida in that regard. I am sure many will say that it is not exhausting your breathed air but that is hogwash. The Brevida has a removable/washable filter that covers the diffuser holes on the mask. All you have to do is take the cover off and you will feel the air movement. With the filter on you can hardly notice anything at all, just like the P10. Deadly quiet. The mask can be used with the filter either on or off if you choose and prefer the feel of the moving air. This technology is the same used on F&P Eson2.
- The short hose is a bit shorter on the Brevida then the P10 and I prefer the P10 in that regard. The Brevida swivels 360 degrees but I actually prefer the fixed. I have only used it a few nights so still playing with that when it comes to turning from one side to the other.

I don't know if I missed anything but if you have questions send me a PM and I will edit my thoughts here. I will say I think this mask is every bit as quiet or quieter then the P10 which says a lot. I am a big fan of F&P products and until I tried the P10 I had used nothing else. Both would be considered 5 star with me. Hopefully I can get my hands on the M-L pillows to see if that improves on an already great fit and comfort.
Nice report.
Anything you'd like to add?

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 pm

You can see my review over on another Brevida review site but the short one is that I basically agree with Tony's. I used the xs/s pillow and they were the right size for me. I am still using the Brevida but will probably alternate it with the P10 and Dreamweaver ( oh, I shouldn't forget the Tap-Pap). They all have their own ++ for me. For the moment, I am still using the Brevida - don't think the swivel and shorter hose works quite as well as the others, but the diffuser is great.

JimP

Post by JimP » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Thought I'd give the Brevida a try.

Had a problem with the mask modulating and if I tightened it up enough to stop the modulations, it would apply enough pressure on my nose that I wouldn't go to sleep.

So for now, I'll keep using the P10. Sometimes you don't realize how good a design it has until you try something else.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:10 pm

JimP wrote:The only issue I have on the P10 is the vents seem to block up after time and cleaning them doesn't always restore them. That's when I start making my own vent holes with a needle. There's got to be a better way.
I've found that if I use dishwashing detergent and a toothbrush, they get good and clean, and aren't clogged, I've heard of people using bath soap and the mesh gets gummed up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:12 pm

Paul_H wrote:I really like my P10 but I have a fairly consistently high leak rate, which for some reason has increased over the 2+ years I've used it (new pillows, so they are not to blame).
new headgear?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.