Reason to carry-on your xpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: Reason to carry-on your xpap

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:42 am

chunkyfrog wrote:If you can afford airfare, maybe you deserve better.
For your extra bucks, you get 16.5" wide seats, and so little legroom that
there is an EPIDEMIC of dangerous/deadly thromboses among air passengers.
No thank you; I think I'll drive--or stay home.
There is more room available but you have to pay for it. Plus you are still much more likely to die in a car accident then due to a flight.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:50 am

Airline seats are too high for short-legged frogs.
If my feet are not supported, I am in intense pain within a few minutes.
I can accept my chances on the highway in exchange for being comfortable.
I also have lots more money to spend at my destination.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:00 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Airline seats are too high for short-legged frogs.
At least in our cars, we are fairly certain the pilot or driver isn't operating under the influence of anything but us, and probably isn't wanting to end everyone in the vehicle, to die with them. At least we have the option of putting down our phones and trying to dodge a fool in our lane. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:37 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Airline seats are too high for short-legged frogs.
I put my backpack under the seat during take off, then pull it out to put my feet on it.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:44 pm

Goofproof wrote:
At least in our cars, we are fairly certain the pilot or driver isn't operating under the influence of anything but us, and probably isn't wanting to end everyone in the vehicle, to die with them. At least we have the option of putting down our phones and trying to dodge a fool in our lane. Jim
It is all the other drivers you have to worry about, falling asleep at the wheel, texting, drinking or deciding to end it all at your hands.
2013 - 34,064 people died on the road in the USA. 2014 - 1,328 died due to air crashes world wide - includes hostile action.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:36 pm

We need to keep track of the number of people miles traveled by everyone traveling by car, verse the number of people miles traveled by everyone traveling by plane, i'm sure that's not how the safety of modes of transportation are determined, everyone has a agenda, and can find a point to support their's. That is what makes debating pointless.

Most auto crashes are caused by stupidity, people driving distracted, that gives air travel a advantage, just 3 people with total control over your life, down side you can't pull over and call AAA if something goes wrong.

They are trying to go to self driving cars, that will remove the stupid people, and replace them with a computer programed, by stupid people, is that a improvement, the jury is still out.... I vote for terminating stupid people, prevent their breeding, global warming would be solved, if it really did exist. Cell phones and computers, need to be disabled while in cars, driving impaired needs to stopped, when we drive that need to be where our attention is at, if you want to chew the fat, stay home, or pull over, a car isn't a social gathering, or at least it shouldn't be. These are just common sense, but ignored daily. Make sure the driver is doing their job, driving is that job, not interacting or talking with passengers. Don't drive sleepy or distracted, I hope you Pilot follows these rules too. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:34 pm

Goofproof wrote:We need to keep track of the number of people miles traveled by everyone traveling by car, verse the number of people miles traveled by everyone traveling by plane, i'm sure that's not how the safety of modes of transportation are determined, everyone has a agenda, and can find a point to support their's. That is what makes debating pointless. ...
There are so few airline deaths (other than 2001) that its hard to even make a comparison. Mile for mile travelling by plane is roughly 100 times safer than by car. If only there was a group dedicated to collecting such data; we might call it the Bureau of Transportation Statistics or http://www.bts.gov .

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:19 pm

My dad bought this ridiculous plaid Tam O'Shanter with a pompom on the top in the Shannon airport and every time he wore the ^%$#@ thing MY luggage got lost. Even if he wasn't traveling with me but only taking me to or from an airport. A very clear example of "correlation does not equal causation", but it happened to me at least FIVE times when he was wearing that hat.

He thought it was hilarious, but he wasn't the one that had to wear the same underwear three days in a row in a foreign country.

So never wear a plaid Tam O'Shanter with a pompom on top when traveling with your CPAP. You have been warned!

What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

SteveGold

Post by SteveGold » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Flew this week and was asked to remove my CPAP and humidifier from the bag to be run through the scanner separately. They said it's a new protocol as of a few weeks ago. Not a big deal, of course, but thought I'd share so fewer people are surprised the next time they fly.

I always keep my CPAP in my sights when flying. Won't even put it in the overhead bin.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:55 pm

B-spinner, to add to your point...

A few years back, I was on a commercial flight plan that had me changing aircraft in Houston. Flight from Houston was cancelled, stranding me, and I had to overnight in Huston because of a snowstorm in Dallas (who suspected that?). Our checked luggage was not available to us; luckily I knew to keep my xpap in my carryon backpack. No worries.

A gentleman on our flight, however, had both his cpap and his blood pressure medicine in his checked luggage. I saw him on the next morning's flight, and I would wager that he'll never put his cpap or meds in checked luggage again.