Back up Machine Usage?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DanceDiva26

Back up Machine Usage?

Post by DanceDiva26 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:35 pm

I have read that it is wise to have a back-up machine, if at all possible. Knowing how important CPAP is to my health, I agree. I currently have a new (1 month old) ResMed AutoSense 10 for Her. CPAP.com currently has a new S9 AutoSet for Her for sale for $397, which is about the same price for a gently used one from SecondWind. I'm so tempted to buy the new one from CPAP.com. Just called CPAP.com and they told me they will raise the price minimally tomorrow.

However, regardless of how good the price is, are there any cons? I can easily afford it, but I am very frugal. Does a new machine to be used only very rarely have its seals dry out, or other things happen, etc? Those of you who have back up machines, do you put it into rotation to keep it 'oiled and running'? As much as I appreciate the necessity of CPAP, it still feels rather strange to buy/have a brand new machine to just sit in the closet?

I suppose I could use one upstairs and one downstairs, but one will still be used 90% of the time, and the other only 10%, if that. I've called my DME and they do supply loaners during the warranty period. I get that if it dies on a Friday night after hours, I'd still have a problem till DME opens on Monday. In which case, I guess I sleep upright in my recliner?

2nd question: I like a cool bedroom but I do not prefer using a humidifier, so no ClimateLine hose. I did not quite get 'ice cube nose' last night but when the weather changed drastically, the air did get a tad too cool for me. I crocheted a quick cozy for my hose today but haven't tried it yet. Any other way to cut heat loss if that doesn't work?

Wulfman...

Re: Back up Machine Usage?

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:01 pm

DanceDiva26 wrote:I have read that it is wise to have a back-up machine, if at all possible. Knowing how important CPAP is to my health, I agree. I currently have a new (1 month old) ResMed AutoSense 10 for Her. CPAP.com currently has a new S9 AutoSet for Her for sale for $397, which is about the same price for a gently used one from SecondWind. I'm so tempted to buy the new one from CPAP.com. Just called CPAP.com and they told me they will raise the price minimally tomorrow.

However, regardless of how good the price is, are there any cons? I can easily afford it, but I am very frugal. Does a new machine to be used only very rarely have its seals dry out, or other things happen, etc? Those of you who have back up machines, do you put it into rotation to keep it 'oiled and running'? As much as I appreciate the necessity of CPAP, it still feels rather strange to buy/have a brand new machine to just sit in the closet?

I suppose I could use one upstairs and one downstairs, but one will still be used 90% of the time, and the other only 10%, if that. I've called my DME and they do supply loaners during the warranty period. I get that if it dies on a Friday night after hours, I'd still have a problem till DME opens on Monday. In which case, I guess I sleep upright in my recliner?

2nd question: I like a cool bedroom but I do not prefer using a humidifier, so no ClimateLine hose. I did not quite get 'ice cube nose' last night but when the weather changed drastically, the air did get a tad too cool for me. I crocheted a quick cozy for my hose today but haven't tried it yet. Any other way to cut heat loss if that doesn't work?
I seriously doubt that there will be anything drying out (seals) or needing attention if they're not used.
However, over the years, as I acquired multiple machines, I would rotate them monthly (they were all virtually the same) to check for any discrepancies in their reporting data (many of them had different firmware levels). In 2010, I started using primarily one machine at a time for several years at a time. I still "rotate" them, but for much longer periods of time now.
I do have a couple that I use for naps.......don't use the data for those short periods of use.
So, most of mine are stored away in their travel bags and periodically I reset the internal clocks in them.

Do you pull your hose under the covers and route it along your body? I've been doing that for years and found that it comes pretty close to a "heated hose" for me. I also use "passover" (cool) humidification.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:16 pm

The pink Resmed S9 autoset for her is a great deal. I love the S9 ....I have 3. One is brand new and never been used.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:21 pm

My backup machine is also my travel machine. Everything is in the bag and ready to go. I do rotate my mask and hoses and I use that machine for a night when I think it is time to rotate. I don't think it is necessary but that is just me being me. The hose under the cover is what we did before heated hoses.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:30 pm

DanceDiva26 wrote:Those of you who have back up machines, do you put it into rotation to keep it 'oiled and running'?
I rotate once per quarter. My google calendar alerts me.

lanco

Post by lanco » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:41 pm

I recently got two used S9's and a H5i humidifier. I think it is a good idea to start the spare one up occasionally as I noticed when I started my newest used S9 that there was kind of a warm air feel on my hand as I felt around I'm sure from no use from what I gather was a few years. This cooled down after using it though. I'm thinking it's kind of like when you first turn on the heat and you smell all the dust and whatever. So, I have decided that when I clean my tubing that I use the spare to blow out the remaining moisture and let it run a couple hours. I am going to do that every week or two just to make sure everything is being kept usable.

I just tried the H5i humidifier also. After 16 years without I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought I might use it occasionally if I was having issues. Seems like that's what I will do. I believe in general I don't really need it. Also, I discovered that when I did use the humidifier that I had an excess of major mouth leaks. I guess my body is telling me I don't need this thing.

This makes me wonder how many people are using a humidifier when they maybe don't really need it and have the same reaction as me and is enough for them to use a chin strap or a FFM rather than a nasal mask or pillows. I think it is worth a trial to find out.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Your alternative (and I totally understand frugal), is to get a straight pressure cpap, even an older one. Pay about $100 just to have a backup. Then, if you need to use it or travel, you could set it for your current 95% and go with that. When I bought my backup S9 with low hours in July, I was anticipating lots of use because I was alternating caregiving for my brother 100 miles away. So, I would be there a week (or 2), come home, then go back. Unfortunately, he passed away rather abruptly earlier this month. Had I known he was actually in a decline, I would have just bought a straight cpap machine from Grey Ghost with a lot more hours and a lot less money to sit in the closet. My traveling days are over, so my need is just mostly if the other machine (Airsense for Her) breaks down.

Having a backup IS important as most DMEs do not provide rentals at all or at a very high cost AND while online retailers ship overnight, you could go 3-4 days without a machine. If you have mild apnea, you certainly could save your pennies for a what-if and be prepared to just ship overnight if a need arises.

That said, you do want to occasionally use the machine in the closet or you will get 'unused windings' smell. I don't know what else you call it, but machines that have been used and then not used for a long time have a funny odor which is incredibly annoying for several days. My used S9 had that for the first couple of days I had it running and then it went away. I would hate that to happen every time I took it out, so I'll just put it on the calendar when to switch it out (every 3 months or so?).

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

lanco

Post by lanco » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:21 pm

If you or anyone is interested I'm going to sell my fixed pressure Apex XT Fit I bought a few months ago. I used it less than a month. Mint condition.

DanceDiva26

Post by DanceDiva26 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Always and ever helpful is this board!

DONE! I ordered it over the phone late last night, got email confirmation that it was shipped this morning and should arrive by tomorrow. I am duly impressed! And who knew I'd be so excited about getting a CPAP machine.......but....but....it's PINK! <laughing uproariously> Oh, I'm sooo channeling my girly-girl side right now.

I did, for a moment, consider buying a basic AirStart <horrors!> just because it was cheaper, but when the S9 price dropped this low...it just made sense to future proof in case the AS 10 For Her dies completely after the warranty period. If it does die, then I have the luxury of waiting for a good sale price on another data AutoSet. I also considered the smaller travel ones like the ZI even if more expensive because at least I would get other features/benefits like portability and battery capability that my AutoSet for Her doesn't have. But again, no future proofing and I'm not traveling a lot till my hip heals.

Sew Tired, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's passing. Even though you knew he was unwell, I'm sure it's still a shock that it happened so quickly. Make sure you use your extra time now to take even better care of yourself. With all my unexpected medical events this past year it's a lesson I've taken to heart myself.

Just had a thought. If anyone remembers my Wheezy Whale post re: my original AutoSet for Her, maybe...just maybe this S9 will be a tad quieter!! The DME did exchange it and brought the new one to my home. Same thing. Wheezy Whale's cousin. The inhalation noise must run in the family of new(er) ResMeds(?) but I didn't feel up to fighting it at the time since I'd just been discharged from rehab. Anyway, not too bad. I can deal with it.

Geeze...this Percocet has morphed me from my Type A barracuda mien to creampuff...and now a girly-girl., <laughing> No worries....they had me on 8 pills a day in the hospital/rehab facility and now 3 weeks after hip replacement surgery I'm down to 2 a day. I have to parse my thoughts better before I speak/type (especially hard to do while on even a modicum of Percocet).....When speaking with a new acquaintance, I casually mentioned..."while I was in rehab".......I got a clue when she began surreptitiously scanning my arms for needle marks......aaargh...!

Okay....will put a reminder on my calendar for CPAP rotation! Thanks again everyone!

*As I was writing this I saw Lanco's post re: his APex XT Fit. Aaargh. How much? It's also on CPAP.com. (You are now watching the birth of a CPAP hoarder)

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm thinking of getting a slightly used 10 for me with the AUTO function just to get the graphing capability. My wife is also paranoid about the main one failing so she wants a backup. I was just wondering how people deal with multiple machines with online reporting. My insurance doesn't require compliance and not due to the doc for a year. They only seem interested in the last 30 days. I was going to set up another email account and register the machine under my middle name. Do these sites react badly when the serial number is already registered under the previous owners name? Resmed online only seems to store data for the last 30 days.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:41 pm

better to just use sleepyhead and forget about the online stuff.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DanceDiva26

Post by DanceDiva26 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:30 am

Update: Ordered from CPAP.com late Tues. Was shipped Wed. morning. Arrived here before noon on Thursday. I've gotta give kudos to CPAP.com (and to any provider in any business) that delivers what they promise.! I'm sometimes too quick to take to task the ones that don't, so I want to give praise to those that do.

First impressions. The S9 Pink is Pretty! And I've already crocheted matching Pink hose covers. And Hallelujah....the S9 does not have the inhalation noise my AS10 for Her does!! The S9 seems bigger than the AS 10 so for those 2 reasons I will probably use the S9 as my main and the AS10 as my backup/travel with the side cover. Seems weird for the newer model to sit in the closet...but oh well....

The only minor, minor difference is that the LCD is flat rather than angled, and I have to sit up to read it. <Horrors>

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:37 am

DanceDiva26 wrote:the LCD is flat rather than angled, and I have to sit up to read it. <Horrors>
As they say, "First world problems."

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:05 am

I have a secondary, identical, lightly used from secondwindcpap "travel machine" that I have ready to go when I go anywhere but my own home overnight. I keep it stocked with everything - the machine, humidifier, tubing, and a nasal pillow mask.

I leave everything neatly packed in the ResMed carry case. It helps with the convenience of grab and go and helps to make sure I do not forget something like tubing or the power cord, which I've done before when I only had one machine - when I was disconnecting everything I put the machine and the cord in the bag but forgot the tubing and mask because I was in a hurry and wasn't thinking, not to mention I woke up to catch a flight in the early morning so my brain was mush.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:49 am

LoBattery wrote:I'm thinking of getting a slightly used 10 for me with the AUTO function just to get the graphing capability. My wife is also paranoid about the main one failing so she wants a backup. I was just wondering how people deal with multiple machines with online reporting. My insurance doesn't require compliance and not due to the doc for a year. They only seem interested in the last 30 days. I was going to set up another email account and register the machine under my middle name. Do these sites react badly when the serial number is already registered under the previous owners name? Resmed online only seems to store data for the last 30 days.
No problem with registering the machine, but I agree with Palerider. Just use Sleepyhead. You'll get a lot more USEFUL information.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)