New to Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Peter50

New to Sleep Apnea

Post by Peter50 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:10 am

Hello,
i am 50yo male. I am newly diagnosed with sleep apnea and waiting for my second night for sleeping test. My english ist not good. sorry fo this.
I have heart arrythmas and to much blood pressure. because this i was sent to pulmonary doc. he found out i have severe sleep apnea. i am physically quite ok. i am Jogging for 45 minutes without problemes. but my exygen during night was too low and i had a lot of breathing lacks. Now i may Need cpap/or bipap and Oxygen during night. i am shocked about this. do anybody use Oxygen concentrator and bipap machine?
Thank you for ansering and sorry for my bad english

Peter

D.H.

Re: New to Sleep Apnea

Post by D.H. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:13 am

Sometimes you can do better by writing in your own language and then using an automated translator.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:23 am

Welcome Peter,
Your English is much better than I could speak a foreign language. Stick with the forum and we will help you. Yes some people do use oxygen at night with their CPAP but if you have no other medical lung conditions effective treatment of your apnea may prevent your decrease in oxygen. The first step would be to get a full data capable cpap machine so you can monitor your therapy and make sure it is effective in decreasing your apnea.
Last edited by OkyDoky on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Peter50

Post by Peter50 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:42 am

Thank you OkyDoky,

they want me to monitor while sleeping second time. i am still not Family with all the numbers. when i remember correct my co2 in blood dropped during night to 84%, average 89%. they told cpap/bipap can make it better. but also my co2 Level was to high. i Need also more exams to find out if there is a reason for my breathing Problems during night. i am some worried i may have muscular disease

thank you for answering.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:07 am

Hi, it would probably be best to wait until you have results of the second test, the 'titration', which will tell you what pressure settings your machine should be set to, and then come back here - to the same thread - and we can advise you better. Using oxygen with Cpap is not common and you may not have to use it, or even a bipap. Your oxygen drop was not very bad compared to many others who had lower ones.

Do you mind telling us what language you do speak, what country you're from? There are members from all over here and it's possible someone from your home might help in future.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:10 am

It's good that you are getting it checked out. The drops in oxygen are not unusual mine dropped to 79%. The severity depends on the length of time you are at the lower levels. Do you know what your AHI was on your sleep study? The second study is what we call the titration study where they put you on a machine and try to find the setting that decreases your apnea. With this second study they may find a machine is all you need to keep your levels stable. Just take one step at a time.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Peter50

Post by Peter50 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:25 am

Juli, OkyDoky,

thank you very much. i am german. My AHI was 45. My low Oxygen was at about 84 for about 2 hours sleeping from about 3:30 to 5:30 am. when waking up it got some higher.

ye you are right i hae to wait and see what new test brings. but i am some worried and quite new to all this. ist good to find a Forum getting help and answers

Thank you

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:52 pm

Peter50 wrote:Hello,
My english ist not good. sorry fo this....
Thank you for ansering and sorry for my bad english
Peter, I'll share something with you that I've observed over the years.

people, such as yourself that don't speak english natively, and apologize for their bad english, as you did, typically have *BETTER* command of the english language than many people that grew up with the language... at least here in the USA.

there's nothing about your english that you should apologize for, so far it's perfectly clear and understandable.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Peter50

Post by Peter50 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:27 pm

Hello Palerider,

thank you for your friendly words. i like writing in english but i know i miss a lot of words.
Best wishes
Peter

Peter50

Post by Peter50 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:51 pm

I was at doc and had sleeping study.
My Condition is severe sleep apnea. during 6 hours i had 300 breathing AHI is 50. I also have too much Co2 Level during night and low Oxygen Level.
My diagnosis is sleep apnea and alveoläre Hypoventilation.

I was on Bipap with addional Exygen. with this my AHI was reduced to 10. also o2 got better and co2 got less in my blood.
but i am now on Oxygen and bipap during night. it will take time getting used. Sorry for not knowing all the Details. ist quite new for me.

Do anybody have similar experiences?

Thank u
Peter

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:16 pm

palerider wrote: *BETTER* command of the English language than many people that grew up with the language... at least here in the USA.
FIFY

An implied or proper noun. Or can I write usa?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:50 pm

Peter, your command of English is fine, in fact quite charming.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Peter50 wrote:Juli, OkyDoky,

thank you very much. i am german. My AHI was 45. My low Oxygen was at about 84 for about 2 hours sleeping from about 3:30 to 5:30 am. when waking up it got some higher.

ye you are right i hae to wait and see what new test brings. but i am some worried and quite new to all this. ist good to find a Forum getting help and answers

Thank you
Five years ago when I became ill with sleep apnea I had worst numbers than you show above. Using the CPAP machine helped me a lot. There was a person here who used an Oxygen concentrator together with the CPAP machine. She is not here anymore. How many hours do you sleep at night, it is more than two hours, NO?

Your low oxygen of 84% was like my in the sleep test that I had in 2011. I don't understand it why you need to use Oxygen if your Oxy saturation dropped to only 84%. Is there something else with your lungs and respiration? My AHI of 42.9 was also similar to your of 45. But now it all improved by using a CPAP machine.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:14 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Peter, your command of English is fine, in fact quite charming.
Are you waiting for a kiss on the lips?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:52 pm

I already got several, earlier today.
They all worked, but only temporarily.