New to Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Peter50

Re: New to Sleep Apnea

Post by Peter50 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:07 am

Hello,
thank you for writing to me. I am glad getting answers here. Ist helpful for me to cope to these things.

avi123 wrote
Five years ago when I became ill with sleep apnea I had worst numbers than you show above. Using the CPAP machine helped me a lot. There was a person here who used an Oxygen concentrator together with the CPAP machine. She is not here anymore. How many hours do you sleep at night, it is more than two hours, NO?
i wake up often at night before i was diagnosed and when monitored in slepping room. it seems i never sleep more than abut 1 hour without break.
Doc think i also have muscular or neuro muscular disease causing bad breathing and high co2 Levels. i Need more exams for this. But it seem important to have enough o2 duiringnight and day. i am now also getting Oxygen during day. ists still unuusual but i feel much better with it. putting the nasal tube away i realize how much power i Need to breath enough.

So i feel a lot better now but ist hard to accept being on Oxygen tube now.
Thank you for being understadning.
Peter

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Peter50 wrote:Hello,
i wake up often at night before i was diagnosed and when monitored in slepping room. it seems i never sleep more than abut 1 hour without break.

Peter
Question,

How is your sleep now while on oxygen, do you have sleep apneas? For oxygen do you use a mask or do you have a tracheostomy or a nose tube?

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Peter50

Post by Peter50 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:46 am

Hello,
thank you for answering.

avi123 wrote:
How is your sleep now while on oxygen, do you have sleep apneas? For oxygen do you use a mask or do you have a tracheostomy or a nose tube?
I use a mask at night becasue the sleep apnea. after my bipap there is a Adapter to give the Oxygen into tube. During day i have a nose tube for the Oxygen. when i do a rest i have to use the bipap and Oxygen. it seem to me complicated to handle becasue i have to Switch the Equipment often.

I am some worried becasue doc told in future i may use mask also during day or if co2 went higher again i may get tracheostomy. Doc told it wont be that bad at all. but i am shocked about.

Good Thing is that with Oxygen and bipap i feel much better. getting some used to the mask in my face, i sleep 3 hours without break at night. i only wake up 2 or 3 times. thats much better. and in sleeping exam with Oxygen and bipap my AHI was 8 -10 during night instead of 45.

i dont know much about all this. i hope doc is right beause the Equipment is still unusual for me and my Family.

Thank your for telling your opinion or experiences.

Beste wishes Peter

Peter50

Post by Peter50 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Hello,
i am more used to bipap and Oxygen. i feel much better and much less tired during day. But i am shocked how bad breathing is now without. I also cant sleep during day without the breathing help. What are your experiences after you started using bipap/cpap and Oxygen? i didnt expect that difference when not wearing.

Tank you.
peter

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Peter50 wrote:Hello,
i am more used to bipap and Oxygen. i feel much better and much less tired during day. But i am shocked how bad breathing is now without. I also cant sleep during day without the breathing help. What are your experiences after you started using bipap/cpap and Oxygen? i didnt expect that difference when not wearing.

Tank you.
peter
I skipped the oxygen, even though the doctor prescribed it with my therapy. About a month later, after I informed him of that, he ordered an overnight oximetry test and my oxygen levels were fine with just the therapy and the settings I chose (as opposed to his much-higher prescribed setting).

Other than that, I never sleep (or nap) without using my therapy. I personally know of at least one person who skipped using his therapy one night......it was his last night on earth.
So, my advice is.......if you're trying to skip using it when you sleep.......DON'T.

Glad to hear you're doing better. Keep at it.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Peter50

Post by Peter50 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:05 pm

Hello

Wulfmann wrote:
So, my advice is.......if you're trying to skip using it when you sleep.......DON'T.
Yes you are right. i dont skip using. i am anxious at all if power supply fail. my Family is wondering that i get used to it fast but i realize it help. i am waiting for getting a portable machine to be able again to go outside for longer time.

thank you and best wishes peter

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:14 pm

Peter50 wrote:Hello

Wulfmann wrote:
Yes you are right. i dont skip using. i am anxious at all if power supply fail. my Family is wondering that i get used to it fast but i realize it help. i am waiting for getting a portable machine to be able again to go outside for longer time.

thank you and best wishes peter
Get a UPS battery backup device to plug it into.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Peter50

Post by Peter50 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Hello,

thank your for your answers and hints. It is helpful for me to learn more and more about cpap and Oxygen.

I will look for backup battery. I realize more and more how helpful the new ids and machines. i only take mask or Oxygen of when washing or showering now. i feel much better with it and i feel much better waking up in morning even when i had some sleep stops during night.
i seem to need quite a lot of pressure during night. in is 15 and out is 7. i the breathing rythm is 18 in 1 Minute. Oxygen flow is 2/ltr when not moving

Still waiting for a daignosis why my breathing stops and why it got weak.

best wishes and thank you

Peter50

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:46 pm

Peter50, this thread may help you in choosing a battery backup. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114012&p=1102354&hi ... p#p1102354
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:53 pm

Peter, there are discussion forums for people who are on oxygen. In this present forum there are only few who use oxygen together with CPAP machines. If I check around I see that those oxygen forums are for people with COPD disease (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). But you have other disease.

Here is an example, there are several more forums:

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/brow ... isease-446

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

cpapwife (as guest)

Post by cpapwife (as guest) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi, my husband uses an o2 concentrator with his cpap.

He is a notorious hypoapnea breather - just lying down to be quite can drop his O2 saturation (yes we bought our own to test, just cause it seemed like a good idea). He was diagnosed with sleep apnea, waking up 91 times an hour, with things getting worse maybe during REM but not clearly figured out.

The software on our machine (philips resprionics system one, in the process of getting a new one currently) showed treated (8-11 range, hangs out at 9/10 most of the night), getting from below 1 up to 2 AHIs a night, that most of his events are hypoapnea.

While testing o2 saturation, he drops below 90 regularly each night for a while (if I remember right it is a longer period of a couple of hours where he goes lower - though up and down in the actual number).

We talked to our sleep Dr about this and were told:
1) We should all be pretty high whether awake or asleep, standing or sitting, etc. Numbers above 95 are good but people without problems are typically higher than that (like 97 - again this is off the top of my head).
Note: Hubby will do 95 or 97 when sitting up awake, but drops big time just laying down and relaxing.

2) Insurance covers O2 concentrates when the person is below 88 for more than 4 minutes (again off the top of my head so I might be off a little on the # of minutes, but pretty short period of time). That is over a night and I think they add them all up and you don't have to be continually under 88 for 4 full minutes.
Note: I was not happy about that number, 90 vs 95 felt pretty big to me, 88 was even lower.

Our o2 tester was not valid to submit for report, we had to get one from the Dr (simple one that squeezes your finger, nothing special). The first night while dropping below 90 as usual, he didn't drop below 88. We asked for another night, got it actually over a weekend (picked it up Fri), and ran it for two nights. Both showed under 88 and they accepted the information. Note, we ran ours on the other hand just to compare the two.

We got approved for an o2 concentrator but took a quick look on craigslist and found a lightly used (300 hours or so) Invocare Solo2 for $300 and figured that would be cheaper than our copay with insurance and took it (we liked that it was a smaller machine also).

Hubby used it with 2 liters per minute (what Dr prescribed) and big difference. It raised his O2 stat levels about 3 points on average and he never dropped below 90 the entire night (hit 90 but not below). While I would love 95, having it be 95 most of the night and above 90 the rest of the night made me happier.
The machine goes up to 3 liters per minute. So he uses it at that level. I don't remember clearly if we checked o2 at 3 lpm but fuzzily I think we did (it would have been like me to do that) and I don't think there was a big difference. Hubby doesn't report feeling different at 2 vs 3 liters. But he also reported not feeling different when a bad sleep Dr did a study and put him on a cpap of 8 and his AHIs jumped high (as well as his O2 saturation dropped low).

I am not on this forum often (just when I need to research something new), but feel free to PM. Though I realized I was not getting PMs and had an old email listed, when I updated this my account got deactivated. Hopefully that will get fixed soon and I can get and send PMs again.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Peter - your communication is great.
I strongly recommend reading the three links below so that you can share your data. The more educated you become, the better your treatment will be.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur