Not doing well

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MaxINTJ

Re: Not doing well

Post by MaxINTJ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 am

AMESS wrote:Anth--I also have severe sleep apnea. 68 episodes per hr. On drugs for BP. Finally after 3 months of struggles I am starting to tolerate cpap. Events down to about 2-3 per hr. Motivation enough to keep me going. If it never gets better than that I am ahead of the game.

My suggestion--see doc about any other issues. But stick with the cpap. The options are not good. Cpap is an ongoing life time thing. .
Wait. You? You are having success? Congrats!

Me, I'm on my 4th cup of coffee and it's only 8 AM.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Anthonym

Post by Anthonym » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Does anyone have any tricks that may work for me until I get the appliance and see the doctor again? I can't seem to find a position that doesn't end up with me snorting myself right out of the light sleep I enter. I feel like jumping off the top of my house and landing on my head..I am so discouraged with this.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Anthonym wrote:Does anyone have any tricks that may work for me until I get the appliance and see the doctor again? I can't seem to find a position that doesn't end up with me snorting myself right out of the light sleep I enter. I feel like jumping off the top of my house and landing on my head..I am so discouraged with this.
Until you get your machine, you might try to use a soft cervical collar to keep your jaw in position. With the combination of nasal strip, recliner and collar, it might help you get some rest but the priority is getting your machine going.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Anthonym

Post by Anthonym » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:27 pm

I am going tonight to the sleep center. I have not slept since Thursday morning. Every time i get on the cusp of sleep I snort myself awake, no matter which position I lay in or sit in etc. Any suggestions how I can make this work for me this time? I couldn't tolerate it last time but I also was very bothered with all the wires they had attached to me. If this doesn't work for me I am doomed. Can't understand why sitting on an incline isn't working for me like it works for most other people to stop the issue from happening. I have had throat issues for a while now due to reflux issues. I also have a deviated septum. I need to fall asleep tonight with this mask on.

Anthonym

Post by Anthonym » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Welp I got through it. At first they tried the mask that only covers your nose. That felt very odd and if my mouth opened it felt really bad. So we went with the full mask and it was fine. Having all the wires connected to me, and the 2 chest straps plus the mask made it hard to fall asleep. But after 90 minutes or so i fell asleep for over 5 hours and the tech said I did real well and they are ordering delivery of a machine to my house by the end of the week.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm glad things went well and that you'll be getting a machine soon!

Anthonym

Post by Anthonym » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Does someone sell a cleaning solution that is easy to use to clean the mask and hose? Thankfully my insurance company sends me a new mask every month and a new hose every 3 months for free

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Anthonym wrote:Does someone sell a cleaning solution that is easy to use to clean the mask and hose? Thankfully my insurance company sends me a new mask every month and a new hose every 3 months for free
Yep. Lots of places sell Dawn dishwashing liquid. It's very popular on this forum for actually "cleaning" things.

And, those items your insurance provider is paying for........AREN'T "FREE". Somebody's paying for them. Either you with your premiums and co-pays or the other members of the insurance group you belong to.

Den

Last edited by Wulfman... on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Anthonym

Post by Anthonym » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Anthonym wrote:Does someone sell a cleaning solution that is easy to use to clean the mask and hose? Thankfully my insurance company sends me a new mask every month and a new hose every 3 months for free
Yep. Lots of places sell Dawn dishwashing liquid. It's very popular on this forum for actually "cleaning" things.

And, those items your insurance provider is paying for........AREN'T "FREE". Somebody's paying for them. Either you with your premiums and co-pays or the other members of the insurance group you belong to.

Den

What I should have said was no extra costs came out of my pocket for the CPAP machine or the accessories. My job pays my premium, all I have to pay for are co-pays to doctors and for medicines. So for me to add all this extra stuff to my health care needs nothing changed on my end and my premiums (I don't pay them) are still what they were before I embarked on this sleep apnea issue. Hence why I said it came free to me, just like when your cable company adds a new channel "for free" of course the only reason you get it is because you make monthly subscriber payments to them. And thanks for the Dawn advice, I was actually looking for some bottled solution specifically made for cleaning that type of equipment that doesn't need to be dish detergent mixed with water, but you knew that just like you knew what I meant when speaking of the free masks. I appreciate the snark though..

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:54 am

There are some products marketed specifically for cpap mask cleaning.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-comfort-clean ... eaning.php
The control III thing is over kill IMHO and has to be diluted (and I hear it doesn't smell so great) but you might find the Citrus wipes or spray interesting. I have never felt the need for special products. I am good with washing with whatever I happen to have handy but you are free to use whatever you wish.
There are probably other products available elsewhere if you look but most of us here are okay with Dawn or whatever we have handy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Dawn, by all means!
Thousands of baby ducks and millions of dishes can NOT be wrong.
Rinse well if the fragrance bothers you.
There used to be a very lightly scented version, but I have not seen it lately.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:09 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Dawn, by all means!
Thousands of baby ducks and millions of dishes can NOT be wrong.
Rinse well if the fragrance bothers you.
There used to be a very lightly scented version, but I have not seen it lately.
They may have caught the ducks drinking it and pulled it off the market. Jim
Dawn Free and Gentle, No Dyes or Strong Perfumes, visited web site, no sign of the ducks drinking it, should be for sale.
Last edited by Goofproof on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 pm

You don't really think they were getting high on it?

Anthonym

Post by Anthonym » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:47 am

Hey guys so I have been doing pretty well since getting my CPAP machine. I have a question, is the event monitor on these machines real accurate? Some nights I have 3 events an hour, other nights 20? And one night when I put the mask on and was watching a movie I took a look at the event monitor before going to sleep and it already recorded 2 events and I hadn't even fallen asleep yet. Finally can I raise the pressure levels by myself? I have the Resmed airsense 10.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:41 am

Good to hear you're doing better. Don't try to read anything much into awake Cpap, events or not, as the machine doesn't read things the same way it does when you sleep - your breathing patterns are different and that's what the machine goes by.

Absolutely you can change your pressure settings - we all do it, but try to do it usefully - i.e. with info based on Sleepyhead tracking, and/or by making small changes for a few nights without changing other features so you'll know for sure that the pressure changes are responsible for any differences - and one night at a time is not enough to be sure of anything.