Travel (Portable) CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
twocents

Travel (Portable) CPAP

Post by twocents » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:16 pm

Anyone know where to buy one, new or used. Can't get a prescription because the damn docs want me to come in and talk. Nothing but a sham, scam, and money grubbing in my opinion. I could make and appointment, and waste time and money, but this annoys me.
Anyone know how to make your own cpap machine?
thanks.
two cents ¢¢

LSAT

Re: Travel (Portable) CPAP

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:27 pm

All CPAP machines are portable, they weigh less than 6 lbs. Your so called little CPAP machines, cost more, are noiser, and have shorter life spans, and not much smaller than real CPAP units.

You can buy used units from some reliable suppliers here, or a pig in a poke from Craig's list.

Mask parts can be bought on the net and assy. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:40 pm

twocents wrote:Anyone know where to buy one, new or used. Can't get a prescription ...
craigslist.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pap-Daddy

Post by Pap-Daddy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:41 pm

You don't say which make/model cpap you use or why using the same for travel is a problem. I know think it is wiser and better to use something you are familiar with and don't have to learn all over again. Think about when you get a new cell phone or windows does an update.

But more importantly you will have spare parts for your machine if/when you need them and a backup. If yours doesn't work directly on 12v battery consider this a backup that should do that for you.

Craigslist is a good source for new/used cpaps just have to know what you want and the price for "new" cpaps as some think what the insurance gets "billed" is what they can get from the unknowing public.

Do a google search and check cpap dot com for price comparisons.

twocents

Post by twocents » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:51 pm

I was just planning on a unit for emergencies, namely if I get snowed in at work and have to bunk with a co worker who lives a block away, or the motel down the street. This would only be an extremely rare occurrence.
I am just annoyed at the trained dog jumping contest to get a one.
i have a resmed airsense 10, and yes i could dismantle it and haul it around, which I may do if I think here's a chance i'll get stuck.
I think what I may do is get my medical records from the sleep center and when I have to go to my regular doc for routine visit, I'll get them to write out the prescription.
Sadly, and this is a broader problem, we have sort of become sheeple being driven around and jumping through hoops simply to enrich an industry. I wonder who 'got' the FDA to outlaw the grey market for these machines. I could use another term but I'd probably be sued for slander.
I have just had a few days of dealing with freaking gubmint garbage so I guess i'm annoyed at the moment.
There is no point of going to see the sleep doc just to get a prescription simply because there is nothing new to be discovered, nothing to be discussed. I am fine, I just need a fancy air pump.
I have the main unit, I'm good for 5 years (or until the next piece of insurance nonsense, provided it still is in place), so thank God I have a machine.
Thanks for the replies.
two cents ¢¢

twocents

Post by twocents » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:58 pm

p.s.: anyone have a used machine they want to sell?
two cents ¢¢

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:24 pm

You didn't say so I will ask - you have been a member here since 2008, do you not have an old cpap you can use for what you mentioned?
twocents wrote:i have a resmed airsense 10
I think a respironics cost less and easier to work on battery power cuz the dc cord cost so much less.
twocents wrote:I think what I may do is get my medical records from the sleep center and when I have to go to my regular doc for routine visit, I'll get them to write out the prescription.
That will certainly work and everyone should have copies of their medical records. If you fax a copy to cpap dot com the next time you need something you won't need to go thru that all over again.
twocents wrote:I wonder who 'got' the FDA to outlaw the grey market for these machines.
Follow the money. Who do you think it was? And the manufacturers would love to outlaw selling used cpap equipment.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Individuals sell used machines all the time.
To my knowledge, no one has ever been arrested.
("The law" is usually little more than a threat, to discourage competition)
With CL, just be careful.
Meet in a public place with electrical outlets and customer traffic.
Some cities' police departments provide a safe location for internet purchases.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Which AirSense 10 machine do you have?
Are you just wanting something really cheap to have only for emergency to use short term like you mentioned above?
You are a long term cpap user...are you familiar with the Goodknight 420G?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:00 pm

here is one .... $235 including shipping

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hab/5859518148.html
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Guesty

Post by Guesty » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:35 pm

grayghost4 wrote:here is one .... $235 including shipping
I would avoid this model and this seller. The seller "grayghost4" for some reason has negative things to say about "Guests" and it is none of his business. Also he is violating the user agreement here.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:08 pm

Guesty wrote:
I would avoid this model and this seller. The seller "grayghost4" for some reason has negative things to say about "Guests" and it is none of his business. Also he is violating the user agreement here.
none of which is relevant.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Guesty wrote:

Greyghost has bee a trusted member of this board for years. He has helped out many members that have needed machines at reasonable prices. If it is you he has said negative things about, you probably deserved it. The owners of this board are aware of Greyghost and have not objected to his occasional sales.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:33 pm

Two stellar references there eh? I would do a google on those names.