Do I need a converter for CPAP in Dubai & India?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Re: Do I need a converter for CPAP in Dubai & India?

Post by D.H. » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Mine says a wattage on one side and detailed information on the other. In your case, either it never had it, or it came off. I suspect the latter, especially since mine seems to be peeling.

While I would be very surprised if the voltage were an issue, I suggest contacting the manufacturer to be sure.

Powerman

Re: Do I need a converter for CPAP in Dubai & India?

Post by Powerman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:17 am

Depending on where you will be in India, you may need an automatic voltage regulator. Power voltage is not consistent in most developing countries with massive spikes and much lower than advertised during peak usage (brownouts) so you can not be assured that it will be 230 volts at all times. AVRs smooth out the voltage so it stays in a tight range. If it spikes, it will try to offload the current or will shut off if it can't so that your equipment is not fried. If it goes too low, it will keep it above some predetermined range so that brownouts won't affect your equipment. You can usually pick one up for $50 to $100 US. The nice thing about them is that they typically have at least 1 plug that is 110 volts so that your US devices if they don't have a voltage range. You still need to check the hertz on your appliances since the US is 60 hertz and most of the rest of the world is 50 hertz. If your appliance is not rated for 50 hertz it will not be safe to use even if you have 110V power.