emptying water on travel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
On the virge

emptying water on travel

Post by On the virge » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:15 pm

I was wondering whether other users empty the humidifier chamber every day while traveling and staying in a hotel or other accommodation for a few days. The "concern" would be the potential that those cleaning the room may move (possibly spill) the water remaining in the humidifier. We have not had a problem but I wonder.

library lady

Re: emptying water on travel

Post by library lady » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:44 pm

I've not had a problem with that. Most often, I'm able to put the machine into the drawer of the nightstand and it usually just stays put. As a precaution, you could always just empty the chamber each morning if you're staying for several nights.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:53 pm

The water can't spill if you empty it. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:01 pm

I always dump the water and run the machine while showering, eating breakfast, and getting dressed.

I am especially careful to do this while traveling, and most especially on checkout morning. Thus, the CPAP bag is the last to be packed.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Do just what you do at home.
Housekeeping is optional at most hotels, so I just hang the tag out to decline it.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:57 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Do just what you do at home.
Housekeeping is optional at most hotels, so I just hang the tag out to decline it.
You missed the point that when traveling, water - perhaps even only a few drops - can damage your CPAP. When it sits on your night table, the water will just sits in the tank. When you pack it in a bag and tote it, the water can slosh around.

Last edited by D.H. on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:58 pm

D.H. wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:Do just what you do at home.
I have to give it to you, DunderHead, that's your best comment you've posted yet.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

On the virge

Post by On the virge » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:28 pm

library lady wrote:I've not had a problem with that. Most often, I'm able to put the machine into the drawer of the nightstand and it usually just stays put. As a precaution, you could always just empty the chamber each morning if you're staying for several nights.
chunkyfrog wrote:so I just hang the tag out to decline it.
Thanks for the replies. We have been emptying our water chambers and "stowing" the hose each morning so that the room can be made up.
If we don't need clean towels or trash removed, then we hang the do not disturb sign and let things stay where they are. I was curious whether others had different experiences.

egzbuen

Post by egzbuen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:01 pm

On the virge wrote:I was wondering whether other users empty the humidifier chamber every day while traveling and staying in a hotel or other accommodation for a few days. The "concern" would be the potential that those cleaning the room may move (possibly spill) the water remaining in the humidifier. We have not had a problem but I wonder.
I know what you mean. I always travel a lot for out of town court hearings/trials. At the same time, I always want my room made up by housekeeping. So, I dump the water in the morning and keep the machine where it can't be nudged by housekeeping. Sometimes I even leave a note that says "please done touch this". A lot of work, but I wanna play safe, just like you.

Sent from heaven

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:18 pm

D.H. wrote:You missed the point that when traveling, water - perhaps even only a few drops - can damage your CPAP.
Basically, no. A few drops wont hurt anything

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:26 pm

billbolton wrote:
D.H. wrote:You missed the point that when traveling, water - perhaps even only a few drops - can damage your CPAP.
Basically, no. A few drops wont hurt anything
Perhaps, but I wouldn't want to put that to the test, especially for older machines.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 am

In hotels: I empty the water tub every day. Lay the mask across the pillow with a note "Medical- please do not touch". That's it. Each hotel handles it differently. Some do not go near the bed, some fluff the bedding around the mask, some make the bed and probably touch the mask, some make the other bed and not mine.
I keep the note in my carry case. I also use a hoze buddy hanger, and leave it attached to the wall with the removable 3M hanger. I would think most room cleaners have seen medical devices and know how to deal with it. I also leave a few bucks as a tip and a "thanks note" for being extra careful.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Cardsfan wrote:In hotels: I empty the water tub every day. Lay the mask across the pillow with a note "Medical- please do not touch". That's it. Each hotel handles it differently. Some do not go near the bed, some fluff the bedding around the mask, some make the bed and probably touch the mask, some make the other bed and not mine.
I keep the note in my carry case. I also use a hoze buddy hanger, and leave it attached to the wall with the removable 3M hanger. I would think most room cleaners have seen medical devices and know how to deal with it. I also leave a few bucks as a tip and a "thanks note" for being extra careful.
Most hotels in developed countries yes, but I have to wonder about third-world countries.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:28 pm

D.H. wrote:Most hotels in developed countries yes, but I have to wonder about third-world countries.
you're such an ass.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:21 pm

A lot of times I leave the humidifier at home when I travel by air, in order to free up space in the bag for my other medical supplies--which is another way to solve the problem.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke