emptying water on travel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: emptying water on travel

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:Note: even when we decline housekeeping service, we tip generously.
What for?
Warning to anyone in the service industry: Uncle Bob does not tip.
Feel free to decorate his food, towels, sheets, etc. with whatever makes YOU happy.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:52 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:Note: even when we decline housekeeping service, we tip generously.
What for?
Warning to anyone in the service industry: Uncle Bob does not tip.
Feel free to decorate his food, towels, sheets, etc. with whatever makes YOU happy.

But you said you declined the said service so why tip?

Automatic tipping, its for the frogs. I'm with Mr Pink here, you can call me Uncle_Pink ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:04 pm

For a brief time in my youth, I worked as a motel maid.
Daily service may be optional, but the hard work comes between guests.
And it is hard, especially when guests have behaved like animals.
Those people rarely tip.
It is hard work, and the pay sucks.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
*** wrote:...decline housekeeping service ....
What for?
Bob... consider this. Even if you decline housekeeping during your stay, someone is still going to have to clean the room after you leave. If you stayed two or three nights with no service, the room would be even more difficult to clean. Most people who do housekeeping make minimum wage; tipping even a few dollars would be the right thing to do... IMO.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote:
*** wrote:...decline housekeeping service ....
What for?
Bob... consider this. Even if you decline housekeeping during your stay, someone is still going to have to clean the room after you leave. If you stayed two or three nights with no service, the room would be even more difficult to clean. Most people who do housekeeping make minimum wage; tipping even a few dollars would be the right thing to do... IMO.

I've always tipped at the end of my stay. In fact if I see house keeping I would much rather give them the tip personally and say thank you. That way you know who is getting the money. The whole idea of tipping out is a joke. I tried to tip a server at my chick fil A restaurant for bringing out my food and offering my family refills and they looked shocked. When to tip and when not to tip is the biggest mystery in America, your choices will get you judged as has been proven by the comments here. Just charge a price and be done. Or go with Mr Pink

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:14 pm

My CPAP travel routine:
  • If the cpap is in its travel bag, the water tank is empty.
  • If the cpap is on a night-stand, and I'm staying several days, I leave my equipment on the stand, with the water in it during the day, just like at home.
  • If I'm traveling by car, and there isn't a serviceable nightstand, I put all of my cpap on a tray that I bring with me. I bought one at a restaurant supply store. That way, if there is a weird-sized night-stand or something flimsy like wicker, the CPAP machine is not on a slippery chair and not in direct contact with the carpet or floor.
  • While I'm out of the room for the day, I put my mask in a pillow case (colorful, obviously not the hotel's) in case it falls on the floor while they're tidying. The bag covers the mask, still connected to the end of the hose. I usually place the protected mask on the pillow.
  • I also put a small sign on the night stand: "Medical Equipment: Do Not Disturb".
  • As soon as I'm traveling to the next hotel, relatives or home, the tank gets emptied and all parts get stowed in the CPAP bag for travel.
  • If I have little confidence in housekeeping or the cleanliness of the establishment, I might actually stow all gear while I'm away for the day. I stayed at a B&B were dust was literally half an inch thick behind the bed and nightstand, even though the rest of the room seemed recently cleaned. Ratings aren't always accurate, eh?

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris