New to Dreamwear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lauperfan

New to Dreamwear

Post by Lauperfan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 am

Hi, everyone!

So ... I'm on my fourth mask. Sigh. Nothing has seemed to be a good fit for me. With nasal congestion issues due to CPAP therapy, the pillows/prongs didn't work and I couldn't keep using Afrin. After a few other masks, I was finally fitted with the Dreamwear.

I'm only on day three, but here are my observations: It's by far the least uncomfortable. I say least uncomfortable rather than "most comfortable" because every mask feels like a starfish is sucking on my face all night. I just can never get used to this therapy, I guess. But I keep trying. This one, however, at least doesn't block my view or force me to shove the tubing behind my pillow. The ease of moving in bed is very nice. Also, it's an easy slip on/off compared to others that had multiple straps all over my face. Finally, the under-nose piece is much better than a nasal chamber or pillows/prongs.

What I'm unsure about/still hoping to get used to: This is louder upon inhalation than other masks; That distracts me. Sometimes there's a whistling, too (despite no leaks). Also, sleeping on my side is a bit uncomfortable because even with the collapsed frame, it still feels like a bump on my cheek. Finally, I'm not sure if I should keep the sleeves on the frame. Are they really necessary?

Anyone else have early observations or want to give testimony after several months of use? I'm hoping this can become my final prescription because I'm sick of going to the sleep clinic and spending months and months trying to adjust to new masks.

Thanks!

Grace~~~

Re: New to Dreamwear

Post by Grace~~~ » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:47 am

Hi Lauperfan ~~~

Sorry to hear that you are struggling. Don't give up. There is either something that will work for you now or it is being invented as I type!

I just wrote a whole lot about my dreamwear mask on a thread started by MOKI (with a lion face avatar). The thread is about dreamwear sizing but maybe you might glean some information there? It shouldn't be too far down on the list?

I don't use the pads right now because I am in hot, humid Florida (even though my bedroom is an icebox!) I felt the pads made me hotter? (but I am a wannabe nudist and don't like clothes or fabric of any kind. LOL ) I figured I might like the pads this winter though?

I also do not use humidity. If I felt dry I would start with passive humidity. (just filling chamber and leaving it off).
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Lauperfan

Post by Lauperfan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks, Grace! I will check your thread in just a few minutes.

I truly hope I can adjust to this mask. I'm trying not to give up hope, but this is going on years of trying now ...

Also, I stopped using the humidifier altogether. It was making my congestion worse. It's nice not fooling with it. I may stop using the frame sleeves to see if I notice any difference. What I've read online is that using them doesn't make much difference.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:05 pm

The sleeves are for comfort. Use them or not according to your preference. I find the DreamWear pretty quiet, but if the sound bothers you, first make sure the vent is not causing the noise by the airflow hitting the bedding and that you're not getting any conducted noise through your hose lying against the headboard, pillow, mattress, etc. Then your best bet is to mask the noise with a fan, a sound machine, ambient noise. I wear "sleep phones" and have podcasts on a sleep timer--a holdover from my first machine which was pretty noisy.

You may need to change your pillow to something that doesn't press the side of the mask so hard against your face. My pillow is memory foam with a sort of trough down the length of the pillow. I position the mask over that trough and don't get any pressure on that side. Other people swear by buckwheat hull pillows. If you have one of those C-shaped neck support pillows, you can position that so that nothing is pressing on the mask on the side of your face.

It just takes some tweaking to find the right combination for yourself. One morning you'll wake up refreshed and comfortable, something you probably haven't felt in a good, long time.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

droder

Post by droder » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:20 pm

I have been using the DreamWear mask since 07/14 and I agree with you that it is the least uncomfortable mask I've tried. I have had to decrease my humidity from 3-4 to 1 with this mask. I'm not sure why I require less humidity than with the AirFit P10, but I do.

Also, I have had that whistle wake me up twice in the past several weeks and have no idea what causes it! The first time it happened, I took the mask apart and put it back together... no more whistling!! The second time, I tried everything and it simply would not stop!! I finally gave up and went the rest of the night without CPAP out of pure frustration. I took the it all apart the next morning, washed it up real well and let it dry all day. It hasn't whistled since.

Sleep well, friend!
CuddleCalm weighted blanket for RLS.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:37 pm

I have used mine steady for 2 months. Honestly, I like the darth vader sound, I find it relaxing, but I have tinnitus and use nature sounds or a small fan to distract me from it. Ocean waves seems to work the best for me, but the cicadas aren't bad either. My DME also gave me Pad-a-cheek pads for the mask, so I feel rather cozy in it.

Mine has never whistled, but I'm glad you found a solution. I will keep that in mind if that happens to me. I had to replace my cushion finally last night as the leaks had increased over the last week. I'm going to try boiling it (I do this with the nasal pillows) to see if I can extend its use.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Lauperfan

Post by Lauperfan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:49 am

Thank you all for responding! Kind of a shame that there are HUNDREDS more replies to the "Should Donald Trump Drop Out" post than to actual cpap-related posts. Grr.

The noise factor: I'm assuming it's because the under-nose slip is wide and therefore more audible than a nasal chamber, for example. I always sleep with a fan, so I'm used to white noise, but this is just more distracting because it sounds echo-y. I'm just going to assume I'll adjust to it like most things. Also, I make sure my hose isn't resting along the headboard and that excess air isn't hitting bedding, etc. As for the sleeves, I'll keep wearing them until I reach a point where I don't like them. So far, it's not a big deal.

The side-sleeping was a little better last night. I actually have a VERY expensive pillow, so I won't be getting rid of that anytime soon! Again, it's probably just a matter of adjusting to the side-sleeping.

I'd love to hear more from people who have adjusted to the Dreamwear or who are just starting out on it.

Thanks!

Extradish

Post by Extradish » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:17 am

Well, I am completely new to CPAP and the dreamwear is my first mask. I've used both for six nights now. At the DME I tried on nasal pillows first, which felt really unnatural. Then I asked to try on a dreamwear, because my brother-in-law likes his, and it felt so much less intrusive, so I said I would take that one. I wish now the employee had suggested I try on a regular nasal mask also, but she was in way too much of a hurry with me to want to suggest anything, so those were the only two masks I tried on.
Although I am succeeding on many levels, keeping the mask on for 6-8 hours per night, about every other night is pretty awful, and for at least three of those 6-8 hours I am laying there awake feeling that mask grip my face and wondering how I will ever get used to that feeling. The first few nights my Resmed was showing 6-7 AHI, and I was having trouble with my mouth dropping open sometimes and the hurricane of air coming out my mouth waking me up. I had found that sleeping on my back was the most comfortable with the dreamwear. My friend who used to be a sleep tech told me to try sleeping on my side instead to try to keep my mouth from dropping open. Once I did that the AHI dropped to 1-3 and I got much less of my mouth dropping open. HOWEVER, I find that the dreamwear really pushed into the side of my face when I am on my side. The undernose part seems to shift a little, and I start worrying about leaks.
I am wondering if the fact that air goes through all parts of the dreamwear mask & thickens the side parts that cross your cheekbone makes it harder to sleep on than a mask that was just flat straps across there.
I think I am going to give it a few more nights and then go to the DME and ask to try on a different nasal mask. I believe I can get used to sleeping on my side, but I want to have the best mask for that. In fact, I found this thread because I had searched the forum on "best nasal mask for side sleeping."

Lauperfan

Post by Lauperfan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:45 am

Interesting post for several reasons: First, I'm sorry your tech was rushing you. This is a situation that deserves a patient technician who cares about your comfort and full understanding of how your device and mask work! I hope you go back soon if only to express that you want a different tech who will take the time to tend to your needs.

The side-sleeping is probably my biggest concern right now. I always start out sleeping on my back. Then, after about 15 or so minutes, I shift to my right side. On my first night, I noticed the nose piece slipping a bit when I did this, so I went back to my back. Also, I wasn't used to the frame on my face, even when collapsed. However, I did better with it last night. Again, maybe it's just getting used to it.

I totally understand how you feel about lying awake wondering if you will ever get used to something gripping your face. I feel the same way. Some nights are better. Usually, when my husband wakes up to work out at 4:30, I remove my mask and pray I can sleep hard for another hour before I have to get out of bed. I don't remember ever having a full, wonderful night's sleep with a cpap. I hope I make it there one day.

Lauperfan

Post by Lauperfan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:38 am

Does anyone else have recommendations for sleeping better on their side using the Dreamwear? I find it works best while on my back, but I want to switch to my sides now and then. When I do, the sound of the air goes up considerably and makes it very hard to sleep.

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:39 am

I tried about 4 other masks before the Dreamwear. I am really liking the Dreamwear best. I have been using it for about a month and a half. I've gotten my AHI down to consistently less than 2, often less than 1. I wear the sleeves every night because I am a side sleeper and I get marks on my cheeks that last many hours if I don't wear the sleeves. I ordered a buckwheat pillow and took a lot of the stuffing out of it because I like a very flat pillow but find I still prefer my very flat down pillow. I have satin pillowcases for both pillows. I usually end up putting the buckwheat one between my knees or hug it. I used to sleep mostly on my stomach but haven't done that since I started Apap in May. I don't really notice any air noise but my husband sometimes does. I think for me it happens when the Dreamwear slips a little off the center of my nose. The only problem I am having is that the straps in the back tend to slip up on my head. It has been suggested to get the large headgear instead of the medium but for now I am managing by pulling some of my long hair from the middle of the back of my head over the straps and that keeps the straps in place. Things are getting better and better for me. I am finding the Apap treatment sort of comforting.

Lauperfan

Post by Lauperfan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks for replying, lathnos.

I'm glad you are finding relief and that Dreamwear seems to be the best fit for you. I'm hoping I'll be able to say the same thing sooner than later. Facebook just reminded me that today is my six-year anniversary for having a CPAP. And I'm still waiting for a good fit and a restful night's sleep.

Also, I'll keep wearing the sleeves since you said there will be marks if I don't. I didn't hear about marks on my face with this mask because of the material. Also, I can't seem to avoid the louder noise from the mask when I'm on my side. It has to be because I'm not on my back, where everything is aligned? I've heard of several people having problems with the straps in the back slipping up the head, but I haven't had this issue at all. I hope I don't! How does it slip up the back of your head? Curious.

Anyway, thanks again. I hope to hear from others' experiences, too.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:17 pm

lathnos46 wrote:I tried about 4 other masks before the Dreamwear. I am really liking the Dreamwear best. I wear the sleeves every night because I am a side sleeper and I get marks on my cheeks that last many hours if I don't wear the sleeves.

The only problem I am having is that the straps in the back tend to slip up on my head. It has been suggested to get the large headgear instead of the medium but for now I am managing by pulling some of my long hair from the middle of the back of my head over the straps and that keeps the straps in place. Things are getting better and better for me. I am finding the Apap treatment sort of comforting.

Hi lathnos46 ~~~

I think it's great that you can actually say that you are finding the treatment "sort of comforting".

Me too???

You'd think that after all I had been through in the last few years that vanity would have left me forever and completely, but I guess I still have a few molecules of it that bump around inside my brain from time to time.

I was definitely worried about strapmarks on my face, I was worried that if I used nasal pillows my nostrils would stretch; I had read many disturbing things about dents in the head, loss of teeth ... all kinds of things that I am sure were not true but alas created little horrors in my mind (to fight against).

After all, there are many examples of body modifications of earlobes, and necks and braces on teeth, etc. It seems the nose would be very susceptible / pliable and the facial tissue particularly around the eyes is fragile.

I felt a little too hot with the sleeves but I woke one morning and I (kinda) saw I had a strap mark. I actually (horror) thought I saw some "wrinkling" around my eye maybe from being scrunched up or too tight? It went away in minutes but it was enough to freak me out! I made my cousin John put on my mask and could see that there was a bit of "scrunching" around his eye! John is young, 6'1 and 160 lbs without an ounce of body fat. (bony bastard. lol) I wouldn't have thought he COULD scrunch or wrinkle?

After that I tried the sleeves again and I then tried wider nose pieces so that the mask would sit further back. (I was given the medium fit pack with all the different nose pieces). The bigger nose pieces were a failure. I have a very tiny pert nose and the leaks on anything but the small nasal were really crazy ... but I tried them all.

Pretty sure that was the day I decided maybe I should follow MOKI's idea and try the large dreamwear? I really wanted to try the p10 nasal too but I was "following rules" and thinking I had to wait to be "given" my next mask. Like I could only chose one? Not true. I can afford a mask.
... it's just I've been beaten down a lot lately. (but I am coming back!)

anyway ~~~ in the meantime I tried the sleeves but found them uncomfortable in the Florida summer. So my solution was just to not look in the mirror upon waking. (genius problem solver that I am).

Now there's a picture of a white head mannequin for the airfit p10 nasal mask I saw ... (here is link)
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... r-her.html

I am wearing my dreamwear way back on my head like this image. Just in front of my ears and coming up beneath my cheekbones. The whole area around my eyes and temples is free. No scrunching.

If you look at the way the dreamwear is worn in the instruction photos, it is much more vertical. Not at all like a hairband / headband. It's like it's still trying to sit forward on the face as though reaching out for the nasal hose that is no longer an issue? To *me*, now that I am wearing mine differently, the pictures of "correct" just look so uncomfortable?

I think it's because there has long been this adaptation of an elephant like hose coming off the face? So the goal for a long time was to have as little on the face as possible to connect to that hose?

I felt all tangled up in that hose?
However, I am brand new to this so have not had years to adapt to the hose.

My whole life I had thick, waist length hair and every night (and most of the days -lol) it was piled up on top of my head so that I (and sometimes we ) did not get tangled in a golden trap. So I am comfortable (comforted) having the "snork hose" on my head. Dreamwear style definitely suits me.

I am able to angle and find the sweetspot on the curve with this large dreamwear along the bottom of my cheekbones. However, it would be amazing if the dreamwear could be customized even more, to perfect the curve! Like with one of those '3D printers' that makes things like guns? (Are those even real?)

Also, if the mask can truly crease or distort our faces then maybe making one fitted to pull the skin BACK like a nightly facelift would be an added bonus? People wear retainers? Why not?

I think I read somewhere that they used to tape their faces back before plastic surgery? Maybe plastic surgeons should be designing the masks?

anyway ~~~ sorry to ramble.
No one really cares about my dreamwear mask. Definitely not in real life and probably not even here.
...but it's nice to have a place to share my thoughts and observations.

it's "sort of comforting".
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

fmj13

Post by fmj13 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:57 am

My solution to the dreamwear slipping has been highly effective. I have trouble sleeping without eye shades and have found the Cabeau Midnight Magic to be the best - it uses non-elastic velcro closure. I had Padacheek make a small fleece fastened by velcro - I put this over both the back strap of the Dreamwear and the back of the Midnight Magic and it has never slipped once since.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:03 pm

I am using sleep phones for my podcasts these days. It's a fleece headband with built in flat speakers. I put the Dreamwear over the sleep phones. Even when my podcast is off, I do not hear the Dreamwear mask at all, and I lay exclusively on my side.

I suspect it may be you are heading the noise in the tube conducted through your face bones. The hint is that you don't hear it on your back. The fleece headband may be reducing any conduction. It may be worth trying even just a fleece headband (about 3" wide) under your Dreamwear to see if it helps.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm