Simple test to see if you can use a nose-only mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Simple test to see if you can use a nose-only mask

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:26 am

Note that this is a test to see if you can use an interface device that covers the mouth. It is not a test to determine if you should use such an interface.

Put on the mask attached to the hose and turn on the machine (preferably with the ramp disabled). Open your mouth and see if the air flows out of your mouth. If it does, then the nasal path is open and it's possible to use a nose only mask. Conversely, if there's no flow out of the mouth and/or there is sinus pain from the pressure, then you probably do need a full-face mask.

Note that a "full face mask" generally covers the nose and mouth. It is not a space helmet as the name would imply.

Pugsy

Re: Simple test to see if you can use a nose-only mask

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:46 am

Hmmmm.... how did you come up with this brainstorm?

What does it mean when you can open your mouth and stick out your tongue and no air flows out the mouth?
Or how can a person talk when masked up and no air enters the mouth?
I can do all this easily when masked up and under full pressure and no air even enters my mouth much less exiting the mouth.

Your simple test is flawed. The lack of air entering the mouth doesn't mean the passage is blocked by nasal congestion...all it means I have learned to block air from entering the mouth and it just continues to go down the airway like it is supposed to.

The most simple test to see if you can use a nasal interface only mask...just put it on and breathe normally with the mouth closed. If a person is comfortable with that amount of air going in and out the nose and doesn't feel suffocated and they don't feel the need to supplement the air intake by mouth breathing then they can use a nasal interface mask.
Now whether they can keep the mouth closed during sleep....that's a totally different thing.

I have elected to not respond to most of your "ideas" but this one I had to comment on because it is so flawed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:47 am

Such absolute wrongness!

The whole point of a FFM is to keep the air inside and going down your airway. "then the nasal path is open and it's possible to use a nose only mask" is so wrong and will completely confuse newbies and encourage them to do the opposite of what they should when in doubt about wearing a FFM. Don't repeat that again! Do more research, learn something, but don't go spouting the exact opposite of what's known scientifically to be correct! Where the hell do you GET your info?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:09 am

D.H. and Ari are in the same category...both are in La La Land

Pap-Daddy

Post by Pap-Daddy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:17 am

You don't even need a mask or a cpap to test this idea.
Simply close your mouth and breath thru your nose for 60 seconds. Time it to be sure.
Do you think you can do this all night?
Plug your ears with your fingers and you can hear each breath.
Any distress? Did you have to open your mouth to catch your breath?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:57 am

D.H., what you do maybe thinking in your mind, but why is what you think worthless and defective.? I can't mislead most of us, but other newbies, probable might think you know something about anything, which we all know you don't. You just like to be stroked into feeling someone is interested in you.

As far as your last Babbel, it's false because what we do while awake, may not be what happens when we are asleep. P.S., you can't have Sleep Apnea events until you Sleep. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:47 pm

the best thing is for everybody (except for a few debunkers) to put D.H. on their foe list, to avoid seeing his stupidity.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:34 pm

If you open your mouth the air come out if there's no obstruction. The only possible flaw with this test is if the nose is open and the mouth is blocked. If that were the case, you'd have difficulty swallowing and speaking.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Most here have major trouble swallowing anything that you speak about. Is that sorta' what you mean ?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:58 pm

DH - the 'obstructive' in obstructive sleep apnea refers to your tongue (or other loose tissue) blocking your airway as it heads down towards your lungs - it does NOT refer to nasal obstruction, whether or not you also incidentally have some of that! Is your misunderstanding of that fact why you've been posting so much nonsense?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:01 pm

DH you are an idiot. There is a lot more involved - like being asleep and gravity.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:17 pm

D.H. wrote:If you open your mouth the air come out if there's no obstruction. The only possible flaw with this test is if the nose is open and the mouth is blocked. If that were the case, you'd have difficulty swallowing and speaking.
no, you simpering fool, you have no idea what you're dribbling about, you are WRONG.

try and learn a little basic anatomy, or even read some of the recent posts by JHC where he *explains* the whole air routing situation.

it is entirely possible to have pressurized air in the nose, and breath in and out of the mouth, without any air flowing from the cpap out the mouth. and then to immediately start breathing normally through the nose *WITH THE MOUTH OPEN*, OR to allow air to blow in the nose and out the mouth, simply by changing the alignment your soft palate and other structures in the nasopharynx.

please stop posting, you are simply, as the wise BlackSpinner says, an idiot.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Omne

Post by Omne » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:25 pm

D.H. wrote:If you open your mouth the air come out if there's no obstruction. The only possible flaw with this test is if the nose is open and the mouth is blocked. If that were the case, you'd have difficulty swallowing and speaking.
I tried a Wisp- I could get air out of my mouth no problem but I couldn't use the nasal mask. My congestion is in-between, not enough to block all flow but enough for me to feel like I was suffocating when I had it on, hence the mouth breathing and hence the FFM I currently use.

As has been pointed out- put one on and try breathing through it for a while and see how it feels. No tests necessary.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:06 pm

In your case...you open your mouth and hot air come out

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:13 pm

LSAT wrote:
In your case...you open your mouth and hot air come out
is there such thing as dumb air? cuz if there is, D.H. has it.