New model - ResMed AirStart 10 CPAP has compliance data only

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: New model - ResMed AirStart 10 CPAP has compliance data only

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:46 pm

cathyf wrote:As a software engineer, I'm still back at the insanity of ResMed RAISING their cost to produce the machine so that they can LOWER the price. Look, they have to engineer the machine so that it dumps full data on to the flash card while it is under development. That's the debugging info and is the only way that they know what the bugs are, and the only way that they know when they've fixed the bugs. And it's the only way that the QA team has to verify that the machine does what it is supposed to do.
this is not correct. first, the board is literally covered with test points, of course, by that time, it's likely already engineered.

second, if they're working on it, they're going to be looking at live data, not data on the sd card.

thirdly, while I haven't opened up an airstart, I'd be willing to bet it uses the same board as the aircurve and airsense machines, just like all of the s9 machines use the same board, from the cheap bricks to the ASVs, IVAPS, etc. turning off a switch in the firmware build to not write data costs nothing.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:41 pm

palerider wrote:first, the board is literally covered with test points, of course, by that time, it's likely already engineered.

second, if they're working on it, they're going to be looking at live data, not data on the sd card.

thirdly, while I haven't opened up an airstart, I'd be willing to bet it uses the same board as the aircurve and airsense machines, just like all of the s9 machines use the same board, from the cheap bricks to the ASVs, IVAPS, etc. turning off a switch in the firmware build to not write data costs nothing.
Ok, while I'm certainly willing to believe that flipping the switch doesn't cost much, it can't cost a NEGATIVE amount. Especially if they are using the same board on all versions. (That's my bet, too.) They clearly engineer the full data software on top of the hardware first, so any software development that they do after that can only increase their development costs. While I can see that hardware things like removing the SD card writer, removing the hose heater, etc., DO reduce the cost of the machine, every time they do the slightest tinker on the software it can only increase the cost of producing yet another fork in the project. Whether it's a little or a lot, it's still a positive number.

And this is medical equipment. I'm willing to bet that the FDA demands a full QA cycle for the most trivial change in the software. I've been writing software for 30-some years, and there are lots of times that I went in and turned on/off a trivial switch and blew the whole thing up!

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:09 am

cathyf wrote:Ok, while I'm certainly willing to believe that flipping the switch doesn't cost much, it can't cost a NEGATIVE amount. Especially if they are using the same board on all versions. (That's my bet, too.) They clearly engineer the full data software on top of the hardware first, so any software development that they do after that can only increase their development costs. While I can see that hardware things like removing the SD card writer, removing the hose heater, etc., DO reduce the cost of the machine, every time they do the slightest tinker on the software it can only increase the cost of producing yet another fork in the project. Whether it's a little or a lot, it's still a positive number.
why does any manufacturer make defeatured products that they sell for less money? because they'll sell more, and it costs very little, if anything, extra to manufacture. a better question is why does the *exact same hardware sell for between 500 and 4000$? answer,.... because it can. they've already spent the money creating the product, they've spun up the boards, they've bought the tooling for the injection molding (and that's hella expensive) they've got it working, they can now get more money competing in a cheaper market by making a "budget" version, and taking away sales from a competitor that offers cheaper stuff. they can't sell the budget with the same features as the main product line, because then nobody would buy the main one.
cathyf wrote:And this is medical equipment. I'm willing to bet that the FDA demands a full QA cycle for the most trivial change in the software. I've been writing software for 30-some years, and there are lots of times that I went in and turned on/off a trivial switch and blew the whole thing up!
then I'd guess you turned off the wrong switch.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

moreorless

Post by moreorless » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:25 pm

how about dreamstation auto bipap pro flex is that a good machine? that is what i am using the dme gave me it. been using it for 5 months almost

Additional Comments: dreamstation dreammapper i think i dunno. software. whats on the menu in dreamstation i dunno about the software hmm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:26 pm

I think it's safe to say that any Respironics or Resmed bilevel machine is very good.
Edit: unless they make one under the Restart name.

gog1960@gmail.com

Post by gog1960@gmail.com » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:19 am

Some one have setup manual for AirStart 10 I need it please please.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:11 pm

gog1960@gmail.com wrote:Some one have setup manual for AirStart 10 I need it please please.
Here ya go.

https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

Edit: I see you mentioned the AirStart 10, but this one may work anyway.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

gog1960@gmail.com

Post by gog1960@gmail.com » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:55 am

Thank DEN,
I got form other and need to share with all

For Airstart 10 the same thing the only different is it doesn’t have the dial knob but instead you push the button in
Between the arrows up/down, then when you access the clinician menu instead of dialing the knob for airsense 10
You have to push the arrow up or down on the airstart to select on the menu.

gog1960@gmail.com

Post by gog1960@gmail.com » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:58 pm

I recently received a ResMed AirStart 10 APAP, Actually it is Compliance data saved in SD card. The data save is Days Used, Days 4 Hrs+, Avg Usage, Used Hrs, Pressure, AHI in Period as 1 Day, 1 Week, 1-3-6 Months and 1 Years. It can display on screen in Clinical Menu.

Last night I test it, it was OK only need to adjust the EPR to Level 3 otherwise difficulty to breathe out.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:38 pm

gog1960@gmail.com wrote:I recently received a ResMed AirStart 10 APAP,
my condolences.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:52 pm

Ask this lady with nothing but an AHI on her machine just how much it has helped her.
viewtopic/t115750/Blue-Cross-FEDERAL.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

hbananas

Post by hbananas » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:16 pm

I have been using an Intellipap autoadjust machine for six years. I went all the way, bought the add-on data module and SmartLink software. I put it through the paces and gathered gobs of data.

All the reporting has shown me is that I am better off leaving the machine set at the pressure I was originally prescribed. When I switched sleep doctors, I showed her my recent reports, and a fresh sleep study shows everything the same, all this time. I purchased my Intellipap without insurance reimbursement, and today I am purchasing its replacement the same way. Good sleep is much too important to leave the decisions about masks and machines to some DME or insurance company. I understand why everyone gets so angry and frustrated with fighting for what they must have. That's why I don't mess around with them.

When my husband was diagnosed, he followed his doctor's instructions and got the leased bottom-line machine that was nothing but a pain in the rear. It even had an audible beep whenever it was turned on or off, something that was really endearing. He returned it and inherited my then two-year old Resmed S8 single level CPAP, and we reset it to his prescription. It has taken a licking and keeps on not ticking, but quietly whooshing, giving him the therapy he needs. He has borrowed my Intellipap, set on auto to see if he preferred it, and he does not.

I got fed up with replacing the humidifier on my Intellipap every couple of years. My machine initially cost me about $500, and I have spent an additional $300 on new humidifiers. Today I ordered the Resmed Airstart 10. Basic brick. Single setting, with exhalation relief, and the ramp feature, which I don't use. $280. Why? Because this brick has an integrated humidifier, is reportedly very quiet, and gives me everything I want from a CPAP at this stage in my experience. I see my sleep doctor twice a year. I also have excessive daytime sleepiness, even with a good night's sleep, and she prescribes stimulants to keep me safe and relatively productive. If things deteriorate, she will see that and have me do a new study.

I'm just saying that the basic brick does have its place. I am choosing one, with the knowledge that fully data capable machines exist and provide wonderful information to users; and that auto adjustment is fantastic for the people who need it. I have the choice and the means to get what I want, within reason, and this is actually what I want. If you must have the additional features and reporting, keep fighting the good fight to get what you need from your healthcare providers! Sweet dreams and healthy wishes from my two-brick household to yours.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset w/ HumidAir integrated humidifier; Rx Pressure 11; Swift FX for Her; Missouri

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 pm

I would not have one of these sad excuses for a cpap.
I would not buy it if it were cheap,
Not even if they threw in a Jeep.
I would not take it on a trip,
Because I would avoid a gyp.
I would not plug it in the wall;
I would not plug it in at all.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:24 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I would not have one of these sad excuses for a cpap.
I would not buy it if it were cheap,
Not even if they threw in a Jeep.
I would not take it on a trip,
Because I would avoid a gyp.
I would not plug it in the wall;
I would not plug it in at all.
Thank you Doctor Frog.

you've certainly got the 'green' down

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:09 pm
Wulfman... wrote: Hey......ResMed......If you're reading......you're greedy, pathetic and disgusting for producing products like these.

Den

Its part of our healthcare model though, $$$$, too many middle men . I don't see any values, dignity, unity or compassion ever coming from the Resmed corporation.

Like I have said, get the machines on the shelves at Walmart. Crap (bricks) , good , better, best or amazing. Let the vendors compete in a free market and let the consumer make a choice. Just like other people with other medical conditions can.

The best we can do is make people aware of bricks, so well done to the OP for bringing this issue up regarding the AirStart 10.

The bad point about Wal-Mart, Sears, K-Mart and Lowe's type thinking they only offer low cost mass market models of the products, many times they ignore quality lines of the products. Less effort to sell the vanilla part of the line, to keep inventory costs and shelf space to a minimum, more profit per inch! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire