A Question of Exhale Pressure Relief

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tan

Re: A Question of Exhale Pressure Relief

Post by tan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:54 pm

DreamStalker wrote:Well then maybe I have catathrenia instead of obstructive sleep apnea because I know for certain that my occlusion ALWAYS occurs right at the start of exhale ... except that I also had a very high O2 desaturation (at least during my sleep study) which is NOT characteristic of catathrenia.

My opinion that pressure be reduced during exhale is a bad idea stands nonetheless.
Total nonsense.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:02 pm

The Choker wrote:Pugsy, What setting did you have to use to get the extra 45 minutes?
I found that I did well with a ResMed machine and using EPR of 3 or when using a bilevel machine I found that PS of 4 (which is like EPR at 4 if EPR could go to 4).

When I used APAP regular without exhale relief...I used minimum of 10 and max of 20.
I used the same settings when I added in exhale relief with no change in AHI but I felt better and slept better.

I have used both Respironics and ResMed machines...so I have used both forms of exhale relief and I have used both brands of bilevel auto machines and used PS as exhale relief.
I like the ResMed way of doing things a little better but that's just me.
Respironics Flex relief ....the maximum it will give is 2 cm even at the setting of 3...and I just like 3 better than 2.
It just "feels" better and suits my respiration pattern/rhythm better. To me it's a more natural "feeling" and I don't have to feel like I am working so hard at breathing or exhaling.
It's almost like I am not using any pressure at all in terms of how easy it is.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:04 pm

tan wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:Well then maybe I have catathrenia instead of obstructive sleep apnea because I know for certain that my occlusion ALWAYS occurs right at the start of exhale ... except that I also had a very high O2 desaturation (at least during my sleep study) which is NOT characteristic of catathrenia.

My opinion that pressure be reduced during exhale is a bad idea stands nonetheless.
Total nonsense.
Now that's just clever ... you must'a got some help from the little red fella huh?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

tan

Post by tan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:07 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
tan wrote:

Total nonsense.
Now that's just clever ... you must'a got some help from the little red fella huh?
Nah, just speaking from my experience. My Lil' BiLevel is super-magic. On the other hand, I have also tried straight pressure - meh, I would even say "My opinion that pressure be reduced during exhale is a good idea stands nonetheless

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:16 pm

"My opinion that pressure be reduced during exhale is a bad idea stands nonetheless."

Pressure reduction during exhalation is completely unnecessary....... for total Windbags such as our good friend, Stalker of the Foil Hat Tribe.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Pugsy wrote:
The Choker wrote:
Pugsy, Do you think I should try it again? It was early in my CPAP history when I tried it and didn't like it. Maybe I should experiment now?

I honestly don't know. I was totally surprised when I tried it because I really wasn't expecting anything to change or did I really think anything needed to change. I changed just because I was bored and I like to try new or different stuff just to be trying stuff....helps with the boredom of day in and day out cpap therapy.

My idea/opinion about trying anything new...from masks to tweaking the settings or using exhale relief or not using it....
I always learn something...now all I might learn is "boy, that was the stupidest thing you've done in a long while" or sometimes I get surprised and find out it's a positive learning experience....or maybe I learn that I can't tell any difference in anything....but I always learn something.

I always figure that if I am curious about something then that is reason enough to scratch the curiosity itch.
I was curious about the "try lower humidity" thing but that was a total disaster from night one. My nose doesn't like less moisture at all. So I try real hard to always make sure the water is topped off in the water chamber because if it runs dry I get some nasty allergy like symptoms and I don't normally have allergies to blame it on.

If you are the type of person who likes to experiment and scratch that curiosity itch...go for it.
I know some people like doing that sort of thing but others don't. That's how come all this cpap stuff comes with a really big YMMV sticker and what works well for one person can be a total disaster for another person.
Some people don't like any change to anything. That's what their body is used to and it just doesn't like it when you change things up a little. My body doesn't mind getting thrown a curve ball every now and then but your body might just hate the least little change in your normal routine.

Getting the best restorative sleep possible has always been my number one goal.
It' not the lowest AHI or the perfect 0.0 leak graph or using the absolute minimum pressure needed to get good results on paper.
Getting good sleep and feeling better during the day has always been my number one priority and anything that helps me achieve that goal is fair game to use or do or whatever...in my book.

My sleep is rather fragile anyway...arthritis and pain issues so anytime I can get more sleep of good quality...you can damn well believe I am going to do whatever it takes. I don't know why or how the addition of exhale relief worked in increasing my average time asleep. All I know is that when I looked back at the average number of hours slept that there was almost an hour increase in the overall average and that almost an hour really improved by daytime symptoms. I am talking going from 6 1/2 to roughly 7 1/2 to 8 hours of decent sleep. I know that I feel better because of the extra sleep time. Why I got it with the addition of exhale relief....beats the hell out of me and it's something I always wondered "why" but I am not about to go back to the other way at this point. I like feeling better.

It may or may not work in the same way for you but what do you have to lose by trying something different?
You will learn something no matter what happens.
Absolutely agree that it's not just about numbers. For some strange reason, my night time sleep/rest as well as my daytime energy and clarity all correlated well with my low AHI. Cause or effect, I don't know but it worked better for me to simplify therapy.

So yes, each should experiment to see what makes life not just more tolerable, but also worth wanting to get up every morning and live it to the max while awake.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:19 pm

tan wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:
tan wrote:

Total nonsense.
Nah, just speaking from my experience. My Lil' BiLevel is super-magic. On the other hand, I have also tried straight pressure - meh, I would even say "My opinion that pressure be reduced during exhale is a good idea stands nonetheless
Awesome.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Gasper62 wrote:"My opinion that pressure be reduced during exhale is a bad idea stands nonetheless."

Pressure reduction during exhalation is completely unnecessary....... for total Windbags such as our good friend, Stalker of the Foil Hat Tribe.
Wow, you sure have good control of that font size with that blow hole of yours .... practice make perfect!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:34 pm

My advice is for each user to experiment with various settings of exhale relief (including turning it off) and make up their own minds.

I used C-Flex at a setting of "2" for nearly eight years. In 2012, I started experimenting with using no exhale relief. In early 2013, I turned it off on all my machines and haven't looked back. I discovered that I didn't miss it and my AHI was cut in half.....from 0.4 to 0.2......and with alot more nights of 0.0 AHIs, lower Snore Indexes and just feeling better. I subsequently wondered why I didn't turn it off sooner.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:48 pm

palerider wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:Obstructive or restrictive events do not occur upon inhalation. Therefore IMO, exhalation relief should be avoided because it is upon exhalation that an obstructive event will occur .... that is the worst time to reduce xPAP pressure.
note for future readers.

dreamstalker is incorrect, while obstructions can occur during exhalation, they are most commonly experienced upon inhalation, and a simple examination of flow traces indicate that. also, reference this informative video from Resmed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c

suspect any of his proclamations regarding cpap treatment.
Note to past, current, and future readers:

This little piece of crap palerider will hump you like a little dog just to get off, but never does.

Suspect any and all of his crap or any threats to foe you because the little red turd is as dumb as a fly on your ass.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:09 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
palerider wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:Obstructive or restrictive events do not occur upon inhalation. Therefore IMO, exhalation relief should be avoided because it is upon exhalation that an obstructive event will occur .... that is the worst time to reduce xPAP pressure.
note for future readers.

dreamstalker is incorrect, while obstructions can occur during exhalation, they are most commonly experienced upon inhalation, and a simple examination of flow traces indicate that. also, reference this informative video from Resmed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c

suspect any of his proclamations regarding cpap treatment.
Note to past, current, and future readers:

This little piece of crap palerider will hump you like a little dog just to get off, but never does.

Suspect any and all of his crap or any threats to foe you because the little red turd is as dumb as a fly on your ass.
Reduced to artlessly flingin' mud at the wall to see what might stick, are we ? Classy !

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:20 pm

and soon froggy will be along to defend pr

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Gasper62 wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:This little piece of crap palerider will hump you like a little dog just to get off, but never does.

Reduced to artlessly flingin' mud at the wall to see what might stick, are we ? Classy !
reduced to? that's one of his best efforts

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Guest wrote:and soon froggy will be along to defend pr
ohhh, stalkie, you're in good company now.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

thecpapguy!

Post by thecpapguy! » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Sorry for the length if it bothered anyone (as it seems it may have). I have a tendency to explain in greater detail than needed it seems. However, it is how I write and instruct patients so it will likely not change - unfortunately! The reason for the title being "A Question of Exhale Pressure Relief" is because I know that new pap users have a question of what it is, how it is set, and why it could be set. Just my trains of thought.

I hope someone received benefit and have a great night!