Counterfeited cushions ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SayHelloForMe

Counterfeited cushions ???

Post by SayHelloForMe » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:51 pm

I am using the resmed airfit f10 mask. I found new cushions on ebay for 25$ this is where I normally been getting my cushions for the past year. But the last 2 cushions I ordered from eBay were useless right out of the bag. Both cushions had leak rates over 40 when my leak rate is normally single digits. The bag that they came in was sealed properly. My question is this, do you think it's possible there could be counterfeit cushions on the market selling for cheap? Has anybody ran into this situation ?

Last edited by SayHelloForMe on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SayHelloForMe

Gasper62

Re: Counterfeited masks ???

Post by Gasper62 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Did you contact seller and ask ? What does their feedback rating look like ? Counterfeits from Asia are everywhere these days ! (Do NOT buy any bargain Epi-pens ! )

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:08 pm

SayHelloForMe wrote:I am using the resmed airfit f10 mask. I found new ones on ebay for 25$ this is where I normally been getting my masks for the past year. But the last 2 masks I ordered from eBay were useless right out of the bag. Both masks had leak rates over 40 when my leak rate is normally single digits. The bag that they came in was sealed properly. The bad masks look exactly like my good masks. My question is this, do you think it's possible there could be counterfeit masks on the market selling for cheap? Has anybody ran into this situation ?
never heard of a counterfeit cpap mask.

I'd suggest you examine things closely, see if you can find any discrepancy.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:43 pm

I think that counterfeit masks are unlikely because they are all different designs and the molds to make them are very expensive. And every mask is different with different venting, etc. If you compare it closely to your known original mask and it looks the same, then it's not a copy.

It's much more likely that the masks are either used or old and being sold as new. How do the cushions feel? Are they nice and soft and pliable? Do they feel like the cushions on the good masks you have?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:16 pm

yaconsult wrote:I think that counterfeit masks are unlikely because they are all different designs and the molds to make them are very expensive. And every mask is different with different venting, etc. If you compare it closely to your known original mask and it looks the same, then it's not a copy.

It's much more likely that the masks are either used or old and being sold as new. How do the cushions feel? Are they nice and soft and pliable? Do they feel like the cushions on the good masks you have?
+1

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:41 am

Strange...e-bay does not allow the sale of complete CPAP masks. I would like to see a web site....can you post one here?

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:39 am

The way that people get away with selling complete masks on ebay is to list them as mask "parts" and then include "extras" that just happen to be the rest of the parts of the mask.

Similarly, lately people have been trying to list cpap machines as "cpap travel bags", that just happen to contain a cpap machine but these listings are usually removed or cancelled.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:10 am

DME's have claimed for YEARS that online equipment is likely to be counterfeit
My opinion--if anyone has sold counterfeit equipment, it would most likely be THEM.
Where else would they have gotten such an idea?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:05 pm

LSAT wrote:Strange...e-bay does not allow the sale of complete CPAP masks. I would like to see a web site....can you post one here?
no, they don't, but sometimes you find people selling complete masks, but disguising it. for example, I bought three p10 headgears a couple years ago, "with free extras" those extras were the frame, all three sizes of pillows, and all the packaging, unopened.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:05 pm

yaconsult wrote:The way that people get away with selling complete masks on ebay is to list them as mask "parts" and then include "extras" that just happen to be the rest of the parts of the mask.

Similarly, lately people have been trying to list cpap machines as "cpap travel bags", that just happen to contain a cpap machine but these listings are usually removed or cancelled.
500$ for a travel bag is pretty steep

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Probably used masks sold as new in resealed bags. Plastic bags like mask bags can be resealed with a cheap bag sealer you can buy online. I know this because I once long ago worked in a computer store and video store .... they usually resealed bags that software came in - these were return items. Heat up the sealing elements, one quick seal and boom, back out on the shelf to be sold as new. Easy-peasy.

A few years ago I got a mask cushion online that had the seam resealed poorly and clearly a rip off - obviously not a NEW ResMed mask. I suspect dodgy sleep clinics often give the used masks to their employees to sell on ebay etc... kind of a bonus I guess, tho a sleazy thing to do.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:50 pm

LSAT wrote:Strange...e-bay does not allow the sale of complete CPAP masks. I would like to see a web site....can you post one here?

My old insurance (prior to Obamacare) did not pay for masks and supplies. I always ordered masks and supplies from E-bay (only when listed as "new"). I never had an issue with any of them, except that one mask stank of smoke.

I stopped doing this several years ago, as my current insurance now pays for this.

SayHelloForMe

Post by SayHelloForMe » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:05 pm

I did not contact the seller but they had 99.8%. I didn't get the whole mask setup but only the mask cushion. I'm wondering also if the sealed masks have a shelf life ?

SayHelloForMe

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:25 am

If they had been stored in a hot place, and in direct sunlight.
Sometimes a seller's rating is high because they behaved themselves for a while.

SayHelloForMe

Post by SayHelloForMe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:50 am

I am having the same problem with my F10 airfit cushions. I started using the mask when it came out and had so much success. Maybe the cushions are made in China now ? It seems I cannot get a good seal like I used to. I also use Remzz and have been for years. The last cushion I bought was from Amazon and still the same problem. I have to tighten the mask and that leaves marks and causes discomfort. After experiencing this off and on for a year I do believe there is something up with the cushions. Either the shelf life in the bag is not long or they are counterfeit cushions or maybe that are lower quality silicone. This is extremely dissatisfied and I'm running out of options. Maybe I should try to buy from Resmed directly ? Any suggestions would highly be appreciative.

SayHelloForMe