Two oxygen readings in same day?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Arizona-Willie

Two oxygen readings in same day?

Post by Arizona-Willie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Is it possible to have Sleepyhead display two oxygen readings for one day?

Can I wear my pulse oximeter during the day and get reading and during the night to get another set of reading?

I tried once but it messed everything up in Sleepyhead.

But, as I recall, I had entered the data from the night before and then used my oximeter during the day and told Sleepyhead to input the second batch of information but it put it in the next day as though it was information for the next night.

Is there a way to input data from last night and then wear the oximeter during the afternoon and have Sleepyhead keep it seperate?

A second account or something?

Julie

Re: Two oxygen readings in same day?

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:35 pm

The machine clocks go from noon to noon, so 'last' night's reports need to be read before noon on given days...

And wearing your oxi. in the daytime may be fine if you're curious, but the results won't correlate to anything from wearing it at night... very different circumstances and the readings wouldn't be valid if interchanged.

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:10 pm

I don't expect to correlate the reading ... I know they should be / likely are quite different --- but it can show if I need oxy during the day.

My sleep doctor sent me home with a medical grade O2 tester this morning which I will wear tonight. It's as big as a laptop case with the standard finger clamp.

According to my Contec PO I sometimes spend as much as 25% of the time below 90 and most of the time I'm below 95. Some nights I drop clear into the 80's. But some nights I do pretty good too but I almost always have time below 95 but between 95 and 90 doesn't seem to worry them ... only if I get below 89. Most nights I do ( although briefly ) but some nights I don''t.

Of course their test will be on ONE random night and I think it should be much longer than that. I would think I should have it tested over a week because it varies.

There are night when I do better and nights where I do worse.

I think I need oxygen at night but if I happen to have a good night tonight they will not see what my Contec shows me so many nights.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:18 pm

If you use Sleepyhead post a few graphs so we can see what might be going on... DL to imgur.com and leave links to that in this thread.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Many Pulse Ox units do not record correctly when you exercise, now what is exercise, for many of us doing anything is exercise, if we were in good health not so much. If we were healthy we wouldn't be messing with a pulse ox, we would be out having fun! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:34 pm

I am not sure I understand fully what you are wanting to do but you can create a second user profile in SleepyHead and get the data from any pulse oximetry session saved to as many user profiles as you want.
I don't know how SleepyHead handles the pulse oximetry sessions in terms of correlating it with cpap machine data but if you are only wanting a record of the pulse oximetry sessions you can put them in another SH user profile for safe keeping.
I don't do the pulse ox thing so I am clueless in that regard but you can have as many user profiles as you wish and put anything you want in them and they are independent of each other.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:04 pm

I had never noticed ( or thought about ) profiles.

I will check that out because that would be a solution.

Just need a different profile for daytime readings.

Thank you very much.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:15 pm

I have had different profiles for different machines or even testing a new mask. It all depends on if I want to be able to see at a glance a change in equipment.
I usually will have one profile that everything gets dumped in and then another profile to download only specific data into...like if I test a new mask and don't want to mess with the note thing in SH (which I always forget to do). I will make another download to the special profile along with the download to the profile that has everything in it.

I don't see why the same thing can't be done with pulse ox data.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:03 pm

As Pugsy said, additional profiles work good for testing stuff.

One thing, you need to have a cpap data file for the day you want to add an oximeter file. SH says something about it in the opening instructions for loading an OXY data file. I've tried to load an oxy file into a day with Summary data only and it wouldn't display. You could just add the day from SD card to the new profile as well as to your normal profile.

You can add two oxy data files to the same day. I've done it to manually adjust the time of an oxy file. First I load the oxy file without correction, display it and see how many seconds it needs to be adjusted, then load the same file again with a manual adjustment for time. SleepyHead will display both files at the same time, one right over the top of the other since there is only a few seconds difference in time. Either can be turned off/on with the red-green switch of the corresponding session in the Sessions box at the bottom of the Daily statistics at the left panel.

You can load two oxy files separated by hours in time the same as above. If you want to keep the times and days straight you would add this afternoon's oxy file tomorrow after you've loaded tonight's data, if that makes sense. You can view them both at the same time or turn either off. If you keep both on, the graph windows will be wide enough in time to display the start of this afternoon's oxy session to the end of the tonight's (tomorrow morning) session. Could be useful to see them both at the same time and it works quite well, actually.

You don't need a CPAP data file that overlaps the times of the OXY file, You just need a CPAP data file for the day of the OXY file to import it.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:28 pm

the criteria for prescribing o2 at night is 5 minutes total time over the entire night below 89%. it don't matter how much you go up and down, if you don't get the 5 minutes, you don't need o2. if one random night of testing were insufficient, insurers would demand more testing. do your overnight test, see what the doc says, and go from there. don't overthink things. overthinking will lead you to anxiety and more meds. if you don't trust your doctor's judgement, replace him immediately.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990