Traveling with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
slysleeper

Traveling with CPAP

Post by slysleeper » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:33 pm

I just started using a CPAP, a REZMED Airsense 10 Autoset. I am also using an EVERFLO Q oxygen concentrator. I travel quite a bit and am wondering if there are going to be health issues using only a travel CPAP, like the IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP or the Transcend miniCPAP, without the oxygen concentrator. Does anyone have any opinions and/or suggestions on travel size CPAPs? Thank you!

mike1953

Re: Traveling with CPAP

Post by mike1953 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:15 pm

That is a question for your doctor as for your machine just take the one you have.

slysleeper

Post by slysleeper » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks very much for your reply! I have a meeting with the Dr next week and will ask him. After looking at the "travel" models, I guess they really are not a lot smaller than the Airsense...

Thanks again!

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:41 pm

I travel ALOT with my Resmed Airsense 10. It just takes a little organization to make sure you don't leave anything behind, but other than that, I have no problems with it flying or road trips.
I figured you are not saving that much space with the travel machine, because what takes up so much space is the accessories, hose and mask, not the actual machine. So even if you have a travel size machine you still have the accessories.
Have you used your Resmed without the humidifier, because the travel machines do not come with a humidifier. I couldn't get by without the humidifier.

slysleeper

Post by slysleeper » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Thank you so much for the input! I think this is the way I will go!

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:18 pm

My philosophy is simple -- try to get the same unit as your home device. Why sacrifice a good night's sleep by getting a 'travel size' unit?

When I started 7 yrs ago, got two ResMed AutoSet II 8. Both with identical settings, one kept in travel bag with mask, hose, extension cord, etc. etc. While I have since upgraded to S9 for home, the same S8 is my backup.

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:18 pm

Try using your CPAP without the humidifier. If you need a humidifier, you'll find the travel CPAPs plus a humidifier don't save you very much space.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:29 pm

I wrote a checklist of what is in the bag and safety pinned it to the inside of the bag. That way, before I zip it up, I can check for machine, humidifier tank, hose, power brick, cord, mask, hose. Some people include other stuff like an extension cord or surge suppressor. This way, I don't forget something behind in the motel or hospital.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)