Feeding the CPAP humidifier when traveling

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cpers

Feeding the CPAP humidifier when traveling

Post by Cpers » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:32 pm

I just started to use a CPAP machine last week and had to travel this week. My machine requires that I use distilled water. I wonder how others cope with this issue as I had to find a store that sold distilled water and the smallest amount I could purchase was gallon. This seems wasteful as I am only here 3 days and I wonder how others are dealing with this especially since there are limitations of how much liquid one can carry on to a plane.

SGearhart

Re: Feeding the CPAP humidifier when traveling

Post by SGearhart » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:02 pm

Even though the manufacturers say to use distilled water (I think it may be a legal issue) you can use regular tap water. Just wash out the reservoir each day with mild soap and warm water. Dawn or liquid hand soap, with no abrasives, will work fine. Most drug stores and groceries sell gallon jugs of distilled water.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:10 pm

Cpers wrote:I just started to use a CPAP machine last week and had to travel this week. My machine requires that I use distilled water. I wonder how others cope with this issue as I had to find a store that sold distilled water and the smallest amount I could purchase was gallon. This seems wasteful as I am only here 3 days and I wonder how others are dealing with this especially since there are limitations of how much liquid one can carry on to a plane.

Distilled water sells for under a dollar at most retailers...would it really be a hardship if you had to dump it? There is no problem using tap water if you are in an area that has good water. Otherwise crack open a bottle of spring water (which costs as much as a gal of Distilled)
Last edited by LSAT on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:00 pm

1/2 liter bottle of drinking water works fine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:20 pm

just use tap water.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:36 pm

How do your travel/lodging, food and PAP machine costs stack up against a whole gallon of distilled water ? Maybe it's best to stay home if things are really that tight budget-wise.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:12 pm

You DON'T feed Tribbles or XPAP HH's after midnite, they will multiply and eat all your grain. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SweetTeaGal

Post by SweetTeaGal » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:23 pm

I'm at the beach right now (I know-eat your heart out) and brought my distilled water with me. When I'm gone for just a few days, I fill up my big reusable water bottle with distilled water. It has a great seal on it (Thermos brand from Target). It has never leaked on me. Now if you can excuse me, I have to go collect some seashells!

Karen

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Gasper62 wrote:How do your travel/lodging, food and PAP machine costs stack up against a whole gallon of distilled water ? Maybe it's best to stay home if things are really that tight budget-wise.
there's a difference in tight finances and not wanting to be wasteful.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:02 pm

They recommend distilled water to prevent mineral build up. That is it. You can use any drinkable tap water for a few weeks and dump the water every morning and rinse the tank. When you get home wash it with a vinegar solution.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:31 am

BlackSpinner wrote:They recommend distilled water to prevent mineral build up. That is it. You can use any drinkable tap water for a few weeks and dump the water every morning and rinse the tank. When you get home wash it with a vinegar solution.
Perfect.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:32 am

SGearhart wrote: Just wash out the reservoir each day with mild soap and warm water.
Not necessary!

moonslice

Post by moonslice » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:54 am

You won't get buildup in just three days. The only reason to use distilled is to avoid buildup. My DME told me it's ok to use tap on vacation.
Not currently using CPAP.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:49 pm

I just use regular bottled water and clean out the tank when I get home with vinegar, have never had a problem using that method.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.