Is this because of damp foam filter effect on CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GoodNightRest

Is this because of damp foam filter effect on CPAP?

Post by GoodNightRest » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Dear All,

I have been using my CPAP machine for almost 1.5 years. My machine is PR SystemOne.

I didn't realize that the gray foam filter is still damp even though I dabbed it really good with paper towel.
So, I used to put it back in immediately after dabbing it, until two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago I disassembled my CPAP machine to lubricate the motor (as it made high pitch noise).
Everything looks ok inside, but to my surprise, I noticed some discoloration on the small areas on the PCB board, and some thin white layer, that can be removed using rubbing alcohol and q-tip.

I was wondering, what happened to the PCB board, is it because of the damp foam filter?

Thank you all.

Goofproof

Re: Is this because of damp foam filter effect on CPAP?

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Highly unlikely, odds are the motor was not oiled correctly when it was made. As for as the foam filter, wash, rinse, put in dry towel squeeze dry repeat, repeat, and repeat! They will be damp but not wet. Air dry, not in bathroom before putting in a bag for storage. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

GoodNightRest

Post by GoodNightRest » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks Jim.

Originally I thought that damp filter caused humidity inside the machine and cause that PCB board discoloration. So, do you think the PCB has been like that since new (bad quality control)?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:55 pm

GoodNightRest wrote:I was wondering, what happened to the PCB board, is it because of the damp foam filter?
no, that's not it, because the airpath inside the machine is separate from where the electronics are. it goes in the filter, into the blower, then out the side.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

GoodNightRest

Post by GoodNightRest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:00 pm

palerider wrote:
no, that's not it, because the airpath inside the machine is separate from where the electronics are. it goes in the filter, into the blower, then out the side.
Thanks palerider! You're always very resourceful

Btw, I am curious, what bad thing that could happen if I put damp foam filter on?
(the manual said to make sure it's completely dry before putting it back)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:02 pm

A damp/wet filter has much higher resistance to airflow, forcing the motor to work harder.
An overworked motor will run hot and conk out early.
When a cheapie fan dies, no one cries---not so with your costly cpap machine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:41 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:A damp/wet filter has much higher resistance to airflow, forcing the motor to work harder.
these things are true, but a wet filter will dry out in just a few minutes.

the instructions are probably more CYA than anything else, to cut down on stupid people from putting the filter back in soaking wet, and then having gobs of water sucked into the machine.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:38 pm

palerider wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:A damp/wet filter has much higher resistance to airflow, forcing the motor to work harder.

the instructions are probably more CYA than anything else, to cut down on stupid people from putting the filter back in soaking wet, and then having gobs of water sucked into the machine.
I agree with palerider, a slightly damp foam filter, (one that's been patted dry), should cause no harm at all. I've done that numerous times in the past and have had no problems whatsoever. A few minutes of CPAP air flow and it will be completely dry.
GoodNightRest wrote: Two weeks ago I disassembled my CPAP machine to lubricate the motor (as it made high pitch noise).
Everything looks ok inside, but to my surprise, I noticed some discoloration on the small areas on the PCB board, and some thin white layer, that can be removed using rubbing alcohol and q-tip.I was wondering, what happened to the PCB board, is it because of the damp foam filter?
I've never heard of anyone lubricating motors on CPAP machines before... usually those stepping servo motors are completely sealed and there's no way to lubricate them. Maybe there is some access to the impeller manifold but even that would be a challenge to breach, and probably not recommended.

More details please.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

GoodNightRest

Post by GoodNightRest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:21 pm

palerider wrote:

Thanks chunkyfrog and palerider.
I'm glad to hear that those discoloration and thin white layer aren't caused by damp foam.

GoodNightRest

Post by GoodNightRest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:I agree with palerider, a slightly damp foam filter, (one that's been patted dry), should cause no harm at all. I've done that numerous times in the past and have had no problems whatsoever. A few minutes of CPAP air flow and it will be completely dry.
GoodNightRest wrote: Two weeks ago I disassembled my CPAP machine to lubricate the motor (as it made high pitch noise).
Everything looks ok inside, but to my surprise, I noticed some discoloration on the small areas on the PCB board, and some thin white layer, that can be removed using rubbing alcohol and q-tip.I was wondering, what happened to the PCB board, is it because of the damp foam filter?
I've never heard of anyone lubricating motors on CPAP machines before... usually those stepping servo motors are completely sealed and there's no way to lubricate them. Maybe there is some access to the impeller manifold but even that would be a challenge to breach, and probably not recommended.

More details please.
Thank you Sir NoddinOff, I am glad the damp filter isn't the cause.

As for the lubrication, I didn't open the impeller manifold.

I decided to disassembly the machine as I couldn't withstand the noise.
I found that other people experienced the same noise:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54811&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

First I opened the bottom cover of the motor (black plastic).

Then I removed the metal cover (it has 3 or 4 screws), and I dripped WD-40 through the shaft.

The picture above is from the website below (I found it only after I finished putting everything back together):
http://t3chnot3s.blogspot.com/2010/08/h ... llips.html

Btw, it smell bad, I needed to use baking soda to overcome WD-40 smell. I wished I used different lubricant.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend or encourage servicing CPAP machine. The instruction I provided above is for knowledge sharing purposes only. Please bring your machine to the authorized dealer for any servicing need. I am not responsible for any damage if you decide to follow my instruction.
Last edited by GoodNightRest on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:44 pm

GoodNightRest wrote:I'm glad to hear that those discoloration and thin white layer aren't caused by damp foam.
poor manufacturing QA? dust? who knows what it was.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:45 pm

GoodNightRest wrote:I dripped WD-40 through the shaft.
bear in mind that wd40 is a *terrible* lubricant. it's more of a cleaner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YouShouldKnow/ ... mistaking/
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Rea ... -lubricant
http://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-shou ... -use-wd-40
etc.

GoodNightRest

Post by GoodNightRest » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:59 pm

palerider wrote:
GoodNightRest wrote:I dripped WD-40 through the shaft.
bear in mind that wd40 is a *terrible* lubricant. it's more of a cleaner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YouShouldKnow/ ... mistaking/
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Rea ... -lubricant
http://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-shou ... -use-wd-40
etc.
Oh wow, thanks a lot palerider! I wish I knew earlier
Btw, what can you suggest would be good lubricant for something delicate like CPAP motor?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:15 pm

GoodNightRest wrote:Oh wow, thanks a lot palerider! I wish I knew earlier
Btw, what can you suggest would be good lubricant for something delicate like CPAP motor?
I usually just use a light mineral oil, something I picked up years ago at an electronics shop. something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/ounce-Zoom-spo ... cating+oil

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:26 am

I just wanted to add that if you live in a dusty environment (construction in the area, desert clime), let your filter dry entirely before putting back in your machine. I noticed more gummy accumulation in the areas that don't dry well when I put the sponge directly back into my bro's machine. That does not happen when I make sure it has dried entirely. I just put the sponge on top of the machine so I don't forget to insert it before use. Didn't have this problem until construction started about a month ago down the street.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)