Titration

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
4kidsmom

Titration

Post by 4kidsmom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Simple question, probably not a simple answer, LOL. What is a titration?

Okie bipap

Re: Titration

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Titration is the process of determining what pressure is needed to keep your throat open when you sleep. Sometimes it is done in a sleep lab setting and other times it is done by giving the patient an auto-set machine and letting the machine decide what pressure is needed.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:41 pm

4kidsmom

Post by 4kidsmom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:55 pm

Ok, so titration was the second sleep study I did about a week after the first. When I picked up my machine, the lady told me to make sure I schedule a titration. Is this just what they have to say in case you haven't had one, or is it supposed to be done every month or two, or what?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:00 pm

4kidsmom wrote:Is this just what they have to say in case you haven't had one
DME (medical equipment supplier) employees are notoriously incompetent. We hear many strange things they say.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:06 pm

BTW, I see you have started several threads in a couple of days. It's better to try to consolidate into one, especially when you are so new. That gives members a chance to get a broader picture of what is going on. Then they can be more useful in helping you.

Speaking of titration, do you know the machine settings you go home with may not be the best ones for the way you sleep at home in your own bed? It's a good idea to evaluate your CPAP therapy using free Sleepyhead software or, at the very least, the data on your machine's display.

There is plenty of help available here to guide you through the process.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:20 pm

It's normally done once for every sleep study (unless they don't do it at all), and you don't repeat every month or otherwise.

4kidsmom

Post by 4kidsmom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:29 pm

Sorry about the multiple threads. I saw in someone else's thread something about sleepy head software. Both of these things are something I cannot currently fix, unfortunately. First, I am VERY what I call electronically challenged. I understand little of how to do stuff on computers, haha! Added to that is the fact that my only device for working these things is, for the time being, a very old smartphone with no storage space for apps and stuff like that. Some day I will overcome all the things that seem to be working against me, and be able to have a job that allows me to afford newer stuff that works better, but for now, medically I need to stay home and just focus on all the family needs. Sorry about the problems it's causing!!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Machine: DreamStation CPAP Machine
If that is indeed your machine, they gave you a straight CPAP "brick". A brick is a machine that does not record the full data needed for proper management of your therapy. A straight CPAP is a machine that will only run at one pressure. An APAP (auto PAP) will adjust pressures according to varying needs over the night.

It's a real bummer to get stuck with a brick. Can you possible exchange it for a fully data-capable APAP? With a data-capable machine, you can get valuable information from the machine display. This information includes AHI and leak level.

First, check the actual model number on your machine. It's on the bottom of the machine. Make sure to empty the humidifier tank before turning the machine over.

4kidsmom

Post by 4kidsmom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:05 pm

If I have all those numbers figured out right, the model # is dsx500h11. But there's nothing there that actually says "model #". I might be able to exchange it, I'm not sure. I do know my insurance pays it over 13 mos time. I'll have to ask my Dr. And I can't navigate the wiki. (The lightbulb button thing). Can't seem to figure out how to find out anything I don't already know. And I don't know much, LOL... There's all these terms in my sleep study report, and I was kinda hoping for a nice neat place to go for all the explanations. But all I'm finding is a couple definitions here and there. No explanations for what they mean or anything. I'm still so lost...maybe it's just as well that I can't access all that. I don't understand it, and can't even find anything to help me learn.

mummmz

Post by mummmz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:46 pm

4kidsmom wrote:Ok, so titration was the second sleep study I did about a week after the first. When I picked up my machine, the lady told me to make sure I schedule a titration. Is this just what they have to say in case you haven't had one, or is it supposed to be done every month or two, or what?
Did you use a CPAP machine for the second sleep study? If so, that was the titration. If you got paperwork with your machine it should say what machine you have. You should also get a copy of your prescription.

Since you don't have a computer at home can you go to a nearby library to use their computer? The librarian's will be able to help you get started. Write down the name of this website and your user name and password and bring it with you.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:54 pm

4kidsmom wrote:If I have all those numbers figured out right, the model # is dsx500h11. But there's nothing there that actually says "model #".
the REF number *IS* the model number... I'm not exactly sure what REF stands for, but you see it on respiratory equipment all over the place, there's REF numbers on the masks, tubing, cpaps, etc.

the dsx500 is the *AUTO* machine, so you need to change your machine in your profile to the dreamstation AUTO (not the bipap auto)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

4kidsmom

Post by 4kidsmom » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Well, it's good to know what kind of machine I have, at least. The book that came with it is a generic one for all the dreamstations...thanks for clearing that up for me! I don't know why so many places these days put a model #, and it actually doesn't say model # on the machine...

4kidsmom

Post by 4kidsmom » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:21 am

I've noticed my machine always (meaning all except the first night 10 days ago) reports 100% mask fit, no leaks, and 1 disconnect. (First night I removed it for a minute because I wasn't able to breathe out and panicked). I don't remove it overnight, so why is the machine telling me there's a disconnect every day, when I know it was on all night?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:19 pm

4kidsmom wrote:I've noticed my machine always (meaning all except the first night 10 days ago) reports 100% mask fit, no leaks, and 1 disconnect. (First night I removed it for a minute because I wasn't able to breathe out and panicked). I don't remove it overnight, so why is the machine telling me there's a disconnect every day, when I know it was on all night?
you took it off at some point, didn't you? otherwise, you'd be wearing it all day long.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.