A leaking hole on the front of Dreamwear Nasal Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
loggerhead12

Re: A leaking hole on the front of Dreamwear Nasal Mask

Post by loggerhead12 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 am

Sheepish wrote:Often, it takes a little bit of tweaking to get things as optimal as you can, so keep trying to make little adjustments.
Also, what works at 11pm is different than what works at 3am, and what works on your back versus your side. There's a real opportunity and need for the miracle morphing mask.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:05 pm

lliann wrote:What is the +1? Is that like a Facebook like?
I think it's used simply to say, "I agree."

Additional Comments: + Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow Mask + Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask + Resmed Airfit P10

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:07 pm

ImRealPleezApproveMe wrote:
Sheepish wrote:Often, it takes a little bit of tweaking to get things as optimal as you can, so keep trying to make little adjustments.
Also, what works at 11pm is different than what works at 3am, and what works on your back versus your side. There's a real opportunity and need for the miracle morphing mask.
+1

Additional Comments: + Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow Mask + Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask + Resmed Airfit P10

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Sheepish wrote:What fleece wraps do you use on the P10?
Padacheek side/cheek straps for the P10.

I love her products. I have gone the DIY route but mine are ugly and it's a lot of work and I don't sew...and my time is worth a LOT. So I have bought from Karen at padacheek.com for years.
Started with the fleece covers for the Swift LT, then the Swift FX because I didn't like the little thin ones that ResMed included, and now the P10.
The quality of fleece that she uses on all her products is excellent.. It's just better than what I can buy at WalMart.
I might sometimes get a hint of a dent when I spend a long time with one cheek against the bed pillow but it fades quickly.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 pm

I think I'll go with that recommendation, then. Which model?

http://padacheek.com/Quick_find_guide.html

Edit: OK, I think I found it, about ¾ of the way down this page, right?

http://padacheek.com/PACAirFitSeries.html

Do you use the barrel cozy, too?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Sheepish wrote: Edit: OK, I think I found it, about ¾ of the way down this page, right?

http://padacheek.com/PACAirFitSeries.html

Do you use the barrel cozy, too?
Yep...you just have to careful to order the one for the mask you want it for since she has several offered on the page.

I do indeed use the barrel cozy but normally just in the winter when the chance of rain out is greater.
It feels really nice against the skin...like silk.
If you do use the barrel cozy with the P10 pillows I suggest removing the barrel cozy at least once a week so the vent holes can get cleaned and aired out....less chance for mold in those vent holes. I let mine go probably 3 months (I don't wash my pillows very often) and I took the barrel cozy off and the vent holes were yucky dark gray most likely mold.
Ooops...since then I make a point of letting the the vent holes get extra cleaning and drying. While we don't enclose the vent holes with the cozy...the extra insulation with the cozy over the pillows makes thing stay moister inside the frame and pillows...ripe for mold.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Sheepish wrote:
poppi2 wrote:
Sheepish wrote:..... once you RTFM (Read The Fabulous Manual ), .... (
That's not the definition I was taught in engineering school.
Nor the one I learned when I studied at Southern Tennessee Football University.

thank you! that's absolutely hilarious....
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:07 pm

palerider wrote:it's times like these that I wonder why any company bothers to write a users manual.
Its times like these that forum needs a moderator to knock aholes off.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Sheepish wrote:Third night with the Dreamwear. About an hour and a half in, I woke up because of leakage. I know it's fairly common good advice around here to remind people not to over-tighten headgear, as it's a common mistake, so that's why I tightened it to what I felt was "just enough" before lights out, but there's also such a thing as too loose, as I discovered as I awoke in the wee hours. Yes, the nosepiece vent does produce what some have termed gale force winds , but this felt like a category 4 hurricane blowing into my eyes ( a category 5 being when you actually detach the mask from your face). OK, this is all a bit hyperbolic , but it was enough to wake me. I then tried to tighten the velcro (sorry, "hook and loop" to avoid trademark litigation ) straps ever so slightly, and guess what, the winds died down immediately. I even had to put my finger in front of the nosepiece vent to make sure it was still working. There had indeed been a leak around the periphery of the nosepiece and now it was gone, which just goes to show that the other piece of advice often given around here also should ring true: Often, it takes a little bit of tweaking to get things as optimal as you can, so keep trying to make little adjustments.
Pugsy wrote:
Sheepish wrote:, I again had creasing, or slightly reddish pressure marks to be more accurate, on my upper cheeks, despite using the included fleece wraps. I need to find a solution for that.
More better padding...denser fleece or double fleece wraps.
Some people just get dents from the least little thing. I am one of those people.
I will get a "scar" on my cheek if I lay on a wrinkle in the pillow case.
I use fleece wraps with my P10 and if I lay long enough on my side I will get a mark...not as much as I would get without the wraps but I can still see them. Fortunately they go away fairly quickly most of the time.
If they didn't I would use double wraps...more padding.

What fleece wraps do you use on the P10? I've got one on the way. Marks were there again this morning for an hour or so with the Dreamwear and its fleece wraps, so I'll be experimenting with a P10 in a few days when it gets here.
Fourth night with the Dreamwear was without incident. Fifth night woke up an hour before the alarm because of whooshing leak. Readjusted mask a smidge and was off to another hour of blissful sleep. Still getting slightly reddish marks on the cheeks despite the fleece wraps, but they're gone by after shower time. I didn't actually bother to wash them out of the box ; perhaps I should?

The P10 just got here, so I'll be trying that next.

Last edited by Sheepish on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Sheepish wrote:I didn't actually bother to wash them out of the box ; perhaps I should?
I have never washed any of my strap covers right out of the box.

Good luck with the P10.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:08 am

The saga of my mask quest, alternating among new masks I'm trying, continues here with a summary of my Dreamwear impressions so far and my first impressions of the P10.

So far, all of them are also literally leaving impressions on my cheeks , which is something I continue to try to deal with, with the help of some helpful recommendations on this forum.

rsaritzky99

Post by rsaritzky99 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:46 pm

I just got a Dreamwear in hopes of eliminating the front-facing exhaust port (my wife hates it) of my Swift LT, and was disappointed to discover this mask also blows forward. 2 questions:

1. Has anyone tried blocking the hole completely (say with silicone)? Since there's another exhaust port at the top, won't most of the CO2 get expelled anyway (yes I'll try an awake test, and yes I realize that Respironics put the hole there for a reason.)

What about cutting a similar size slot in the underside of the nasal "pillow" (if you can call it that)?

2. I've seen the Resmed P10 mentioned here. The description says it has "Woven-mesh vents. This technology quietly directs and diffuses exhaled air in multiple directions away from the user..." Are there any P10 users out therewho can tell me if there's any type of directional "wind" going forward? I just want to be able to face my wife without air blowing in her face.

I've noticed that CPAP users, more than any other medical "group" of people, do more "hacks" to their equipment based on actual real-life experience than any other group...

Thx

Ron

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:05 pm

rsaritzky99 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:46 pm
I just got a Dreamwear in hopes of eliminating the front-facing exhaust port (my wife hates it) of my Swift LT, and was disappointed to discover this mask also blows forward. 2 questions:

1. Has anyone tried blocking the hole completely (say with silicone)?
I have thought about it but I have been too afraid to mess with it to actually do it.
rsaritzky99 wrote:
2. I've seen the Resmed P10 mentioned here. The description says it has "Woven-mesh vents. This technology quietly directs and diffuses exhaled air in multiple directions away from the user..." Are there any P10 users out therewho can tell me if there's any type of directional "wind" going forward? I just want to be able to face my wife without air blowing in her face.
Get the P10. You and your wife will be happy. I have to put my hand about an inch from those vent holes just to barely feel the air.
Your wife will thank you. I know my husband did.
Not only is it barely able to be felt the venting is essentially silent.

Welcome to the forum.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:05 pm
rsaritzky99 wrote:

1. Has anyone tried blocking the hole completely (say with silicone)?
I have thought about it but I have been too afraid to mess with it to actually do it.
rsaritzky99 wrote:
Get the P10. You and your wife will be happy. I have to put my hand about an inch from those vent holes just to barely feel the air.
Your wife will thank you. I know my husband did.
Not only is it barely able to be felt the venting is essentially silent.

Welcome to the forum.
What she said about the P10.

Blocking the front vent on your mask would mean you'll be rebreathing more CO2, and getting less oxygen, due to the additional dead space of the side tubes... a better method would be to figure out how to affix some filter material to diffuse the air... like several of the newer F&P masks do.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Manuals "should" be clear, complete, and easily understood.
Everything written is directed to people at a specific reading level, (varies a lot.)
If tech writers are paid by the word, the result can be maddeningly verbose. :twisted:
Not everybody even TRIES to read the manual--for good reason.
If reading is difficult, videos may help--thelankylefty has made a bunch.
I recommend looking for videos, and watching them in a quiet, calm place.