A leaking hole on the front of Dreamwear Nasal Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: A leaking hole on the front of Dreamwear Nasal Mask

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:05 pm

Bons wrote:If you insult new users for asking questions that seem dumb to you where will they turn for other questions that might have major impacts on their health?

If this is really a board to help people the don't co sided any question as stupid.

It's not like their DME or doctor can give a good answer half the time.
there *are* other alternatives out there, if it's too hot here.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 am

Like the OP, I was a little disappointed to discover that second exhalation port on the front of the nosepiece cushion that may give the impression there's a leak. I was hoping that there was just one port on the elbow on top of the head, since that would be one advantage of this innovative design. Yes, there's passing reference to the front nosepiece exhalation port once you RTFM (Read The Fabulous Manual ), and it's also explained, for example, on a vendor's product page, third tab, seventh item down, plus I'm sure it's there out of an R&D'ed design necessity, but it would have been nice not to have air blowing out the front for those for whom it blows on a sleeping partner or makes a bothersome noise against the pillow or bedsheets.

Additional Comments: + Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow Mask + Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask + Resmed Airfit P10

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:26 am

Sheepish wrote:Like the OP, I was a little disappointed to discover that second exhalation port on the front of the nosepiece cushion that may give the impression there's a leak. I was hoping that there was just one port on the elbow on top of the head, since that would be one advantage of this innovative design. Yes, there's passing reference to the front nosepiece exhalation port once you RTFM (Read The Fabulous Manual ), and it's also explained, for example, on a vendor's product page, third tab, seventh item down, plus I'm sure it's there out of an R&D'ed design necessity, but it would have been nice not to have air blowing out the front for those for whom it blows on a sleeping partner or makes a bothersome noise against the pillow or bedsheets.
Totally agree! I like the mask ask far as wearing a mask goes, but that is a stupid place to put a vent. Why they couldn't put it at the bottom of the pillows is beyond me - at least then it would blow in the direction your nostrils blow naturally.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:56 am

MaxINTJ wrote:
Sheepish wrote:Like the OP, I was a little disappointed to discover that second exhalation port on the front of the nosepiece cushion that may give the impression there's a leak. I was hoping that there was just one port on the elbow on top of the head, since that would be one advantage of this innovative design. Yes, there's passing reference to the front nosepiece exhalation port once you RTFM (Read The Fabulous Manual ), and it's also explained, for example, on a vendor's product page, third tab, seventh item down, plus I'm sure it's there out of an R&D'ed design necessity, but it would have been nice not to have air blowing out the front for those for whom it blows on a sleeping partner or makes a bothersome noise against the pillow or bedsheets.
Totally agree! I like the mask ask far as wearing a mask goes, but that is a stupid place to put a vent. Why they couldn't put it at the bottom of the pillows is beyond me - at least then it would blow in the direction your nostrils blow naturally.
Yep, same here. Very comfortable, but every time I rolled from one side to the other the whooshing woke me up. I stuck with it for several months before moving on. This mask has a lot of fans, so clearly it works well for some PAPers.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Lahree

Post by Lahree » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:34 am

Bertha deBlues wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:
Sheepish wrote:Like the OP, I was a little disappointed to discover that second exhalation port on the front of the nosepiece cushion that may give the impression there's a leak. I was hoping that there was just one port on the elbow on top of the head, since that would be one advantage of this innovative design. Yes, there's passing reference to the front nosepiece exhalation port once you RTFM (Read The Fabulous Manual ), and it's also explained, for example, on a vendor's product page, [url=https:/-tab]third tab, seventh item down[/url], plus I'm sure it's there out of an R&D'ed design necessity, but it would have been nice not to have air blowing out the front for those for whom it blows on a sleeping partner or makes a bothersome noise against the pillow or bedsheets.
Yep, same here. Very comfortable, but every time I rolled from one side to the other the whooshing woke me up. I stuck with it for several months before moving on. This mask has a lot of fans, so clearly it works well for some PAPers.
I feel the same. I thought I was going to love this mask--it is certainly comfortable, but I have a gale force wind leaking out from everywhere when I lay on my side. Not my cup of tea.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 am

I have tried to experiment with adding a little diffuser to that under the nose vent that annoys so many.
I tried using a really cheap mesh ResMed filter (not the fine filters) and it will diffuse the air flow but I can't figure out any way to secure it without the securing blocking the vent hole. Nothing wants to stick to the silicone to hold the mesh over the hole.
A rubber band might work...but I don't have one handy. Tape won't work because it doesn't stick well to the silicone and there's too much chance of the tape getting over the vent hole.

If someone wants to try this type of diffusing...do it while awake and not asleep and use it for 2 or 3 hours to make sure that you don't start feeling weird. With the vent on the top up by the hose and the lower vent not totally blocked but just with a sort of diffuser on it....I don't think there would be a problem but I would want to do a prolonged test while awake to make sure.

I have not done anything but a quick test to see how much that mesh filter will diffuse the force of the vented air.
It will do the job and it not totally block the vent hole.
As to how safe....I dunno...that's why I say if you want to try it...do a prolonged for sure awake time test so you can abort if you start feeling lightheaded or weird.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Pugsy wrote:I have tried to experiment with adding a little diffuser to that under the nose vent that annoys so many.
I tried using a really cheap mesh ResMed filter (not the fine filters) and it will diffuse the air flow but I can't figure out any way to secure it without the securing blocking the vent hole. Nothing wants to stick to the silicone to hold the mesh over the hole.
A rubber band might work...but I don't have one handy. Tape won't work because it doesn't stick well to the silicone and there's too much chance of the tape getting over the vent hole.

If someone wants to try this type of diffusing...do it while awake and not asleep and use it for 2 or 3 hours to make sure that you don't start feeling weird. With the vent on the top up by the hose and the lower vent not totally blocked but just with a sort of diffuser on it....I don't think there would be a problem but I would want to do a prolonged test while awake to make sure.

I have not done anything but a quick test to see how much that mesh filter will diffuse the force of the vented air.
It will do the job and it not totally block the vent hole.
As to how safe....I dunno...that's why I say if you want to try it...do a prolonged for sure awake time test so you can abort if you start feeling lightheaded or weird.
That's a brilliant idea! Did you try to attach the mesh to the outside or the inside of the nosepiece?

The reason I ask is if it didn't work on the outside, for the reasons you mention, might it possibly work by wedging
a carefully cut piece of mesh on the inside? I don't have any mesh to try it with, but looking closely at the inside of the nosepiece, it appears as though with the way it's molded inside there might be enough of a wedge to keep the piece of mesh in place and prevent it from moving back in against the nostrils, and enough of an outward curve on each side to prevent it from moving side to side. See what I mean? It just might work.

As you say, though, definitely a good idea to test it awake first.

Additional Comments: + Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow Mask + Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask + Resmed Airfit P10

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Sheepish wrote:Did you try to attach the mesh to the outside or the inside of the nose piece?
I did not even think of trying the inside. That's a heck of an idea.
The mesh filter would need to be trimmed down quite a bit but still be big enough to not move around.

If I have time later I will see what I can do.

We have a bit of a family issue going on right now so my hands are a bit full at the moment.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Sheepish wrote:..... once you RTFM (Read The Fabulous Manual ), .... (
That's not the definition I was taught in engineering school.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 pm

poppi2 wrote:
Sheepish wrote:..... once you RTFM (Read The Fabulous Manual ), .... (
That's not the definition I was taught in engineering school.
Nor the one I learned when I studied at Southern Tennessee Football University.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:47 am

Okay, I got a piece of the mesh filter inside the pillow and it stayed. Unfortunately it doesn't sit up next to the opening flush enough to diffuse the air enough. It was hard enough to get in side with tweezers as it was.. no way to get it to stick closer that I could figure out.
If someone else wants to try..go for it.

I am still looking for ways to attach it to the outside. Haven't given up but have had some other stuff to do and going on.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:41 am

Oh well, it was certainly worth a try. Thanks so much for your time and effort.

For attaching the mesh to the outside, maybe your idea of rubber bands is worth pursuing (when you have the time ).

I'm wondering how much "beta testing" the manufacturer does before the product is released. I'm sure they must want to get the product to market rather quickly, but I would imagine that many subjects doing the beta testing (test users) would have pointed out that downside to this mask, as several members here have. This problem could be resolved much more easily at the design and manufacturing stage than end users having to kludge workarounds.

It's sort of becoming a moot point for me anyway, though, as this morning, after about 7½ hours sleep, I again had creasing, or slightly reddish pressure marks to be more accurate, on my upper cheeks, despite using the included fleece wraps. I need to find a solution for that.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:47 am

Sheepish wrote:, I again had creasing, or slightly reddish pressure marks to be more accurate, on my upper cheeks, despite using the included fleece wraps. I need to find a solution for that.
More better padding...denser fleece or double fleece wraps.
Some people just get dents from the least little thing. I am one of those people.
I will get a "scar" on my cheek if I lay on a wrinkle in the pillow case.
I use fleece wraps with my P10 and if I lay long enough on my side I will get a mark...not as much as I would get without the wraps but I can still see them. Fortunately they go away fairly quickly most of the time.
If they didn't I would use double wraps...more padding.

I don't have suitable rubber bands...need to try to remember them when I go to the store.
I have enlisted hubby to pick his brain in an effort to find some way to secure the mesh.
Rubber bands will be tricky...gotta hold the mesh and not squish the pillow.

If I had a nasal pillow that was damaged or so worn out it was going in the trash anyway...I would use super glue.
But I hate to sacrifice a good pillow for this experiment when I personally don't have an issue with the venting.
I am only doing this to try to help you guys who think the venting is a big problem.
You think this venting is awful...you should have been here 8 years ago and see what we had to deal with.

I will keep trying though.

Sheepish

Post by Sheepish » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:16 am

Third night with the Dreamwear. About an hour and a half in, I woke up because of leakage. I know it's fairly common good advice around here to remind people not to over-tighten headgear, as it's a common mistake, so that's why I tightened it to what I felt was "just enough" before lights out, but there's also such a thing as too loose, as I discovered as I awoke in the wee hours. Yes, the nosepiece vent does produce what some have termed gale force winds , but this felt like a category 4 hurricane blowing into my eyes ( a category 5 being when you actually detach the mask from your face). OK, this is all a bit hyperbolic , but it was enough to wake me. I then tried to tighten the velcro (sorry, "hook and loop" to avoid trademark litigation ) straps ever so slightly, and guess what, the winds died down immediately. I even had to put my finger in front of the nosepiece vent to make sure it was still working. There had indeed been a leak around the periphery of the nosepiece and now it was gone, which just goes to show that the other piece of advice often given around here also should ring true: Often, it takes a little bit of tweaking to get things as optimal as you can, so keep trying to make little adjustments.
Pugsy wrote:
Sheepish wrote:, I again had creasing, or slightly reddish pressure marks to be more accurate, on my upper cheeks, despite using the included fleece wraps. I need to find a solution for that.
More better padding...denser fleece or double fleece wraps.
Some people just get dents from the least little thing. I am one of those people.
I will get a "scar" on my cheek if I lay on a wrinkle in the pillow case.
I use fleece wraps with my P10 and if I lay long enough on my side I will get a mark...not as much as I would get without the wraps but I can still see them. Fortunately they go away fairly quickly most of the time.
If they didn't I would use double wraps...more padding.

What fleece wraps do you use on the P10? I've got one on the way. Marks were there again this morning for an hour or so with the Dreamwear and its fleece wraps, so I'll be experimenting with a P10 in a few days when it gets here.

lliann

Post by lliann » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:20 am

Michelle-OH wrote:
rhodesengr wrote:
crappyman wrote: I found there was another hole on top where I could feel leaking when I put my finger on top.
yes there is an intentional vent on top. In fact it is a series of small holes in a pattern.

Now like some, I could get all indignant because a couple of months ago, I posted here and asked pretty much the exact same question. Or like some other others, I could play the RTFM card. Maybe its easier to just help the OP.

I guess the indignant ones feel a new reader should be responsible for knowing every past post and as for RTFM, maybe the manual shows that there are vents and maybe it doesn't. Maybe I could find mine and look or maybe it got thrown out.

Perhaps it's just easier to answer the question if you know the answer.
+1
What is the +1? Is that like a Facebook like?