Hubby's Stroke (Update)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
M'ohms

Hubby's Stroke (Update)

Post by M'ohms » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:50 pm

I have not been on the forum much this year. In February I shared that my husband had a massive stroke and my attention has been turned towards his care. I think I've aged 10 years In the last 6 months.

He has been in 2 rehab facilities and 2 nursing homes. At this time, his PT feels that he will never walk again and he is having a custom leg brace made that will straighten out his ankle and lock his knee in place with the hope that he will be able to stand on his own. He is still a "max assist" patient. This stroke has changed both our lives forever.

I share this in the hopes that those people who don't take treating their sleep apnea seriously will reconsider. The risk for stroke (as well as other health catastrophes) is real. When you consider the consequences, adjusting to the initial inconveniences of CPAP therapy is a small sacrifice to make. No one should have to experience what our new reality has become.

jtravel

Re: Hubby's Stroke (Update)

Post by jtravel » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:01 pm

I'm very sorry to hear of the ordeal your Husband and you are going thru.
Your story is positive motivation for others to stick with their Cpap Treatment no matter how uncomfortable it may be.
God bless you and Your Husband and your courage to post what has happened to your family on a personnel level.

SweetTeaGal

Post by SweetTeaGal » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Thank you so very much for encouraging those who are struggling with their cpap therapy. You are in my prayers!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:33 pm

(((HUGS))) M'ohms

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Positive thoughts of peace, joy, and comfort headed your way, along with a few prayers.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:31 pm

Brace yourself.
Here comes a big, wet froggy HUG!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:02 pm

Best wishes from me, too.

I was wondering though........did your husband use some sort of PAP device or not?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:11 pm

Positive thoughts, prayers and hugs!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:42 pm

I have two friends that should have been using cpap but weren't and they have now both had strokes. One passed shortly after the stroke and the other will likely never be able to live on his own again.

People just do not realize how serious the side effects of not treating sleep apnea can be. It's really sad.

Best of luck to you and your partner. I hope that he is able to recover as much as is possible.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:53 am

What a difficult time! I hope your hubby continues to show improvements even though beyond the expected window of time. My mother surprised everyone after her "massive" stroke. Her therapies were stopped on the timeline of usual expectations, but she surprised them and continued to make gains even a year or 2 later. Hugs to you as you and he both deal with this life changing event.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Best wishes from me, too.

I was wondering though........did your husband use some sort of PAP device or not?

Den

Although he has always snored, he has never been tested for SA. While we were in the emergency room, I noticed that he stopped breathing while sleeping and his SpO2 fell immediately. His admitting doctor said he had sleep apnea. I am planning on sending him to my sleep doctor if he ever leaves the nursing home (they don't want to deal with it).

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for the wonderful hugs and encouragement. It is heart-felt!

Omne

Post by Omne » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that. Best wishes.

tuzacat

Post by tuzacat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:34 pm

M'ohms, I am so sorry to hear about your husband's stroke! I know this is a life changing event for both of you! My thoughts and prayers are with you! Best wishes, Tuza

DeniseR7

Post by DeniseR7 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:34 pm

M'ohms wrote:I have not been on the forum much this year. In February I shared that my husband had a massive stroke and my attention has been turned towards his care. I think I've aged 10 years In the last 6 months.

He has been in 2 rehab facilities and 2 nursing homes. At this time, his PT feels that he will never walk again and he is having a custom leg brace made that will straighten out his ankle and lock his knee in place with the hope that he will be able to stand on his own. He is still a "max assist" patient. This stroke has changed both our lives forever.

I share this in the hopes that those people who don't take treating their sleep apnea seriously will reconsider. The risk for stroke (as well as other health catastrophes) is real. When you consider the consequences, adjusting to the initial inconveniences of CPAP therapy is a small sacrifice to make. No one should have to experience what our new reality has become.
I am sending you hugs!