Batteries required by Airline to use cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CapnLoki

Re: Batteries required by Airline to use cpap

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 pm

palerider wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:I'm grumpy this morning.
Power outage, from 1:42 to now--AND COUNTING.
I think they're saving us for last.
Under two hours of treated sleep.
I feel like roadkill.
'site:cpaptalk.com battery camping' also look for threads by 'capnloki'

:ducks and hides from the wrathful frog:
Ever since a run in with Galvani, frogs have been wary of batteries ...

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Well, I finally have "juice". 12:30 PM today. Just under 10 hours.
Afraid to open the freezer.
High winds, broken branches, blown transformer.
The LES crew was fairly fast once they got the spare parts.
The guilty tree is one of ours, and the arborist is fairly reasonable.
He was a classmate of the bullfrog.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:31 pm

Afraid to open the freezer.
It should be ok. Usually they stay fine for 24 hours before they start to defrost.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:28 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:PR, The battery was not charged.
I considered taking the Intellipap out and plug it in to the Prius; but we just replaced
the 12 volt accessory battery for $200 USD--woulda been double at the dealer!
Those AGM batteries are 'spensive, Ricky!
But not as much as the traction battery-- yikes!
put that sucker on a float charger, froggy! *stern look*.

and, yeah, dealership prices are insane.... for everything.

door handle broke off our sonata yesterday, dealer wants something like $120-$150 to put a new one on... OR,

21$ on ebay, and a few minutes with an 8mm socket. replacing the door handle on a sonata is *EASY* pop off a cover, remove a screw, remove the non moving part of the handle, slide the old one out, slide the new one in, replace stop, replace screw, replace cover.. the first "how to" video I found on youtube was only 3.5 minutes long.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sleepy42

Post by sleepy42 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:01 am

I'm getting prepared to go on a trip to Taiwan from Detroit Michigan... I think the first leg is roughly 16 hours, then a nearly 2 hour layover and another 4 hour flight... or something like that. If you couple the fly time, with travel two and from the airport on both ends, waiting in line for security and such... I'll be lucky if I get to where I'm going within 28 hours of when I leave my home.

For those of you , who think you can get rested up before and after a trip like this... your nuts. I know for me, the night before a trip like this , is rarely good sleeping, too excited and/or apprehensive about it all... then your half way around the world, body clock and/or sleep cycles are turned on their head... that is, completely 12 full hours different in timezones.

This will be my first trip of this sort since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and I can tell you from past experience without using CPAP on a trip like this, I would be about dead by the end of the trip. My body just doesn't react well to going more then 24 hours without sleep. My sleep anpnea is bad enough that I can't stay asleep more then 10 minutes without CPAP, not even sitting up.

So... well, I'm on a quest to find the best way to do this trip... In theory, I could get a seat on a Delta Airplane that has a 110 AC outlet, but the people at delta so far, can't tell me the maximum power capacity of the outlet. So, I'm still apprehensive about trying to use a AC outlet on their planes. Not that I really want to spend $300 on a battery either though...

Does anyone rent batteries?

Does anyone have detailed knowledge about power on Delta 'Comfort' seating areas?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:29 am

sleepy42 wrote:
So... well, I'm on a quest to find the best way to do this trip... In theory, I could get a seat on a Delta Airplane that has a 110 AC outlet, but the people at delta so far, can't tell me the maximum power capacity of the outlet. So, I'm still apprehensive about trying to use a AC outlet on their planes. Not that I really want to spend $300 on a battery either though...

Does anyone have detailed knowledge about power on Delta 'Comfort' seating areas?
You can't count on the outlet, it doesn't have to be working. How much are you spending on this trip? What is $300 for a battery compared with that?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

sleepy42

Post by sleepy42 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:43 am

BlackSpinner wrote:
sleepy42 wrote:

You can't count on the outlet, it doesn't have to be working. How much are you spending on this trip? What is $300 for a battery compared with that?
Yeah, well how much I'm spending on the trip is, part of the reason I'd like to save some money if I can... Tickets are around $1500 each, and three of us are going... A lot of money for me , and since probably the only time I really need a battery of this sort , is on a trip like this... the cost is somewhat significant. I do understand that I probably can't count on the outlet, but then... I would be demanding the money back for the 'comfort' seating costs. ( obviously that would probably lead to no where).

So, does anyone around the internet rent good light weight CPAP batteries? ( ones that you could be sure weren't half dead or nearing the end of their expected life. ) To me, if the price wasn't too horrible, I'd prefer to rent, vs buy.

Or maybe I should buy and then try to sell on a used market. I mean literally, I will probably not have a need for this type of battery again, for at least 5 years, and the life expectancy of a Lithium type battery is only about 3 years.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:57 am

So you have never had a power outage in your area?

Consider it part of your travel costs. Save your money on something else.

sleepy42

Post by sleepy42 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:11 am

BlackSpinner wrote:So you have never had a power outage in your area?

Consider it part of your travel costs. Save your money on something else.
In 16 years at my current location, I've had one outage that lasted more then 10 minutes and wasn't planned. I had one planned outage that lasted a couple hours... the one unplanned outage lasted about 4. I have a generator for long outages, or I have a inverter and lead acid batteries if I really needed a short term battery solution at home. Oh, and actually, since I have a RemStar 60 series autoPAP ( 12 volt DC ) , in addition to my S9 Autoset, so I don't really even need a inverter if I am willing to switch back to the RemStar during a power outage.

Bottom line is, the use of a light weight portable power supply for my CPAP , is really only needed for one 15 day trip, and even on that trip, it's only really needed for about 16 hours total ( eight hours going out, eight hours coming back )

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:56 am

Get the battery; it could open up your possibilities--camping, for instance.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:28 am

CapnLoki wrote:
palerider wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:I'm grumpy this morning.
Power outage, from 1:42 to now--AND COUNTING.
I think they're saving us for last.
Under two hours of treated sleep.
I feel like roadkill.
'site:cpaptalk.com battery camping' also look for threads by 'capnloki'

:ducks and hides from the wrathful frog:
Ever since a run in with Galvani, frogs have been wary of batteries ...
More than pans filled with hot oil and bowls of batter mix? ¿¿¿ Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Slats

Re: Batteries required by Emirates to use cpap

Post by Slats » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:10 am

I am planning to fly with Emirates and have now switched to a different cpap machine. What battery should I use for the Airsense 10 ?

The airline definitely requires use of battery on its flights. It is approximately a 16 hour flight, and I will need to sleep.

Slats

hobbs

Re: Batteries required by Emirates to use cpap

Post by hobbs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:41 am

Slats wrote:I am planning to fly with Emirates and have now switched to a different cpap machine. What battery should I use for the Airsense 10 ?

The airline definitely requires use of battery on its flights. It is approximately a 16 hour flight, and I will need to sleep.

Slats
Don't worry about getting a battery. I flew Emirates L.A. > Dubai > Delhi and back last December and the stewardess never even looked at the machine. I think it is a CYA thing in case you cannot get power and die. Just get the required form and have your doctor sign it and keep it with you. On a side note the wife and I were upgraded to 1st class on the return flight! Showers in the restrooms and restrooms cleaned after EACH USE. 46 year old Port served. I could get used to flying this way!

Edit: Above was Business Class. Don't know if Coach has power at the seat. Seat Guru says there is AC power at all seats.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emira ... s_A380.php

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 pm

DreamStalker wrote:Well I grew up when we had to memorize the US Bill of Rights in high school civics class and those rights actually meant something.

As an old dog, I can be taught new tricks ... but being submissive to a police state is not one of them.
Back then that was before the changes to the short versions of the bill of rights, where we only have the right to be silent, and submit to the fascist boot troupers. Jim

If we are willing to give up our rights without a fight we have it coming.
Last edited by Goofproof on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:35 pm

hobbs wrote:Don't worry about getting a battery. I flew Emirates L A. > Dubai > Delhi and back last December and the stewardess never even looked at the machine. I think it is a CYA thing in case you cannot get power and die. Just get the required form and have your doctor sign it and keep it with you. On a side note the wife and I were upgraded to 1st class on the return flight! Showers in the restrooms and restrooms cleaned after EACH USE. 46 year old Port served. I could get used to flying this way!

Edit: Above was Business Class. Don't know if Coach has power at the seat. Seat Guru says there is AC power at all seats.
Besides seat class it can also depend on the aircraft model used for your flight. Even then I doubt the airline will guarantee power to your seat.