Batteries required by Airline to use cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Batteries required by Airline to use cpap

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:17 pm

billbolton wrote:The point with at-seat power is simply that it is not guaranteed to be available (that is, it is not an air-worthiness issue), so if you bet on it being there and for whatever reason its not, a medical device user could be in difficulty. Some airlines are prepared to let the medical device user risk it, while other don't want to countenance any possibility of a law suit.
+1

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:34 pm

jnk... wrote:I hear ya, DS. It takes special training to be an effective double agent.

My hope is that CPAP batteries are the only 'sleeper cells' ever activated on any flight I happen to be on. But I have a feeling that the average TSA agent wouldn't recognize either one.

The present rule is that it is much more important for the public to feel safe than it is for them actually to be safe. The economy is built on a feeling, not on reality.

The in-flight movie rarely holds a light to the quality of the tragicomedy of getting through the gate.

And may no flight I'm on ever be as hijacked as this thread.
May your CPAP battery disability not get you killed ...

Disabled cancer patient slammed to the ground by TSA guards

Your anti-terror security tax dollars hard at work.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

cands

Post by cands » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Emirates policy is pretty clear, although a bit over the top!

http://www.emirates.com/au/english/plan ... AP_Devices

CPAP/PAP Devices

Approved CPAP/PAP devices are permitted on board for use during your flight and do not count towards your carry-on baggage limit. The device must be labelled by the manufacturer to reflect that it has been tested to meet applicable United States Federal Aviation Authority/Department Of Transportation requirements for medical portable electronic devices.

In accordance with UAE General Civil Aviation Authority regulations, if you wish to use a CPAP/PAP device on board your flight you must submit a physician’s statement to an Emirates reservations agent at least 48 hours prior to travel that:

states that you have the physical and cognitive ability to see, hear and understand the device’s aural and visual cautions and warnings and are able, without assistance to take the appropriate action in response to those cautions and warnings;
states whether or not use of the device is medically necessary for all or a portion of the duration of the trip; and
specifies the maximum oxygen flow rate corresponding to the pressure in the cabin of the aircraft under normal operating conditions.

You must bring the physician’s statement with you on the day of travel and report to the check-in desk one hour in advance of scheduled check-in time.

You are responsible for travelling with a sufficient supply of batteries to last the entire journey, including transit and unexpected delays.

You must ensure that the unit is not connected to any of the aircraft power sockets, and that batteries for approved CPAP/PAP machines carried on board the aircraft in carry-on baggage are protected from short circuit and are packaged in a manner that protects them from physical damage. Batteries protected from short circuit include:

those designed with recessed battery terminals; or
those packaged so that the battery terminals do not contact metal objects, including the battery terminals of other batteries.

If CPAP/PAP devices are carried on board an aircraft as carry-on baggage but are not intended to be used during the flight, the batteries must be removed and packaged separately, unless the device contains at least two effective protective features to prevent accidental operation during transport.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:31 pm

hobbs wrote:Have flown Business Class with KLM, Lan Chile and Air Italia and have always just plugged it in when I was ready to sleep. Not a word was ever said.
Well, Emirates is picky! Guess I will need to buy a battery for a trip to India. British Air will let me plug it in, but they want $2K more for the trip. That will definitely cover the cost of a battery!

mrkdilkington2

Post by mrkdilkington2 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 am

I flew on Emerites from LAX to Dubai with my cpap and there is no such rule OP. I plugged it right into the outlet. BTW using a cpap on a plane is an excellent way to catch a cold if you're flying in the fall or winter. I only used mine for a few hours and caught a cold that very day. Could've just been a correlation but it makes sense with the way cpap works.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:47 am

mrkdilkington2 wrote:I flew on Emerites from LAX to Dubai with my cpap and there is no such rule OP. I plugged it right into the outlet.
what the rules are and what you got away with aren't always the same.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:29 am

It is often said 'tis easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
Of course one does not wish to be stranded in the armpit of the planet.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:36 am

chunkyfrog wrote:. . . in the armpit of the planet.
Mighty tough talk for a frog in Nebraska.

Forgive me?
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:08 am

I'm grumpy this morning.
Power outage, from 1:42 to now--AND COUNTING.
I think they're saving us for last.
Under two hours of treated sleep.
I feel like roadkill.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:15 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I'm grumpy this morning.
I feel like roadkill.
Wow! Sorry to hear that. You have every right to as much grumpiness as you want.

And for the record, Nebraska is one of my favorite places.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:46 am

mrkdilkington2 wrote:I flew on Emerites from LAX to Dubai with my cpap and there is no such rule OP. I plugged it right into the outlet. BTW using a cpap on a plane is an excellent way to catch a cold if you're flying in the fall or winter. I only used mine for a few hours and caught a cold that very day. Could've just been a correlation but it makes sense with the way cpap works.
WRONG! Maybe not enforced.

"CPAP/PAP Devices

Approved CPAP/PAP devices are permitted on board for use during your flight and do not count towards your carry-on baggage limit. The device must be labelled by the manufacturer to reflect that it has been tested to meet applicable United States Federal Aviation Authority/Department Of Transportation requirements for medical portable electronic devices.
In accordance with UAE General Civil Aviation Authority regulations, if you wish to use a CPAP/PAP device on board your flight you must submit a physician’s statement to an Emirates reservations agent at least 48 hours prior to travel that: states that you have the physical and cognitive ability to see, hear and understand the device’s aural and visual cautions and warnings and are able, without assistance to take the appropriate action in response to those cautions and warnings; states whether or not use of the device is medically necessary for all or a portion of the duration of the trip; and specifies the maximum oxygen flow rate corresponding to the pressure in the cabin of the aircraft under normal operating conditions.
You must bring the physician’s statement with you on the day of travel and report to the check-in desk one hour in advance of scheduled check-in time. You are responsible for travelling with a sufficient supply of batteries to last the entire journey, including transit and unexpected delays. You must ensure that the unit is not connected to any of the aircraft power sockets, and that batteries for approved CPAP/PAP machines carried on board the aircraft in carry-on baggage are protected from short circuit and are packaged in a manner that protects them from physical damage. Batteries protected from short circuit include: those designed with recessed battery terminals; or those packaged so that the battery terminals do not contact metal objects, including the battery terminals of other batteries. If CPAP/PAP devices are carried on board an aircraft as carry-on baggage but are not intended to be used during the flight, the batteries must be removed and packaged separately, unless the device contains at least two effective protective features to prevent accidental operation during transport.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:51 am

chunkyfrog wrote:It is often said 'tis easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
one of the favorite quotes of "Amazing Grace" Hopper.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:52 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I'm grumpy this morning.
I feel like roadkill.
'site:cpaptalk.com battery camping' also look for threads by 'capnloki'

:ducks and hides from the wrathful frog:

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:34 am

On the latest planes I have flown, they were "renovated" to have only a USB port, no power outlet available.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:51 am

PR, The battery was not charged.
I considered taking the Intellipap out and plug it in to the Prius; but we just replaced
the 12 volt accessory battery for $200 USD--woulda been double at the dealer!
Those AGM batteries are 'spensive, Ricky!
But not as much as the traction battery-- yikes!