Batteries required by Airline to use cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Slats

Batteries required by Airline to use cpap

Post by Slats » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:07 pm

I am planning a trip to Dubai with Emirates airlines and it takes 16 hours, so I would like to use my cpap machine. I read the fine print and they say you need to bring your own batteries and cannot plug into any outlets. So wise folks, tell me what others have done in this situation. I plan to bring my Remstar (listed below ) with me.

I'm so grateful for this community . I love my cpap.

palerider

Re: Batteries required by Airline to use cpap

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Slats wrote:I am planning a trip to Dubai with Emirates airlines and it takes 16 hours, so I would like to use my cpap machine. I read the fine print and they say you need to bring your own batteries and cannot plug into any outlets. So wise folks, tell me what others have done in this situation. I plan to bring my Remstar (listed below ) with me.

there's nothing listed below, put it in comments. get a battery. one of the liion ones will be the easiest to cart around.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Slats

Post by Slats » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:40 pm

I use a Remstar , System One, 60 Series. I see that there is a battery for this , but it weighs 13 lbs and people said they had trouble with the TSA taking its carryon.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:52 pm

Slats wrote:I use a Remstar , System One, 60 Series. I see that there is a battery for this , but it weighs 13 lbs and people said they had trouble with the TSA taking its carryon.
yeah, the 'official' battery is kinda crap.

try the c100

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:11 am

Have flown Business Class with KLM, Lan Chile and Air Italia and have always just plugged it in when I was ready to sleep. Not a word was ever said.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:19 am

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:06 am

Slats wrote:I am planning a trip to Dubai with Emirates airlines and it takes 16 hours, so I would like to use my cpap machine. I read the fine print and they say you need to bring your own batteries and cannot plug into any outlets. So wise folks, tell me what others have done in this situation. I plan to bring my Remstar (listed below ) with me.

Economy or Business? What Aircraft?

I'm heading to London on Emirates next April. The aircraft is the A380 and it does have power supply in business class. Their other lomg haul jet is the 777 and I'm not sure how that one is configured for power.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:39 am

My approaches to some things differ from the standard (did I just hear a multinational amen muttered in this forum?), but my preference is to schedule good sleep immediately before and immediately after a long flight and then just to stay awake on the plane.

My reasoning is that the inconvenience of arranging sleep that way is less than the inconvenience of lugging around a battery throughout an entire trip.

A secondary reason is that I've lived in NYC long enough that I tend to want to keep my eyes open when in confined spaces with strangers.

And if I do end up dozing off a few moments here and there, hey I'm sitting up and am unlikely to get anywhere near REM.

Sleep patterns are going to be disrupted by a travel of that distance across time zones anyway, and I personally have not found that sleeping on a plane is especially helpful to adapting/recovering when travelling in either direction, myself.

Just me, though.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:03 am

jnk... wrote:My approaches to some things differ from the standard (did I just hear a multinational amen muttered in this forum?), but my preference is to schedule good sleep immediately before and immediately after a long flight and then just to stay awake on the plane.

My reasoning is that the inconvenience of arranging sleep that way is less than the inconvenience of lugging around a battery throughout an entire trip.

A secondary reason is that I've lived in NYC long enough that I tend to want to keep my eyes open when in confined spaces with strangers.

And if I do end up dozing off a few moments here and there, hey I'm sitting up and am unlikely to get anywhere near REM.

Sleep patterns are going to be disrupted by a travel of that distance across time zones anyway, and I personally have not found that sleeping on a plane is especially helpful to adapting/recovering when travelling in either direction, myself.

Just me, though.
My approach is even easier .... I simply don't fly!

Just not willing to participate in giving up personal liberty to TSA staff or anyone else in exchange for a false sense of security. When I was 16 working at a grocery store, my boss always used to say ... "how can you trust anyone who isn't willing to trust you?"

Happy 4th!
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:34 am

Aww, come on, DS--Security Theater is one of the best shows going right now!

I don't enjoy flying; airports are the closest thing to a police state that most U.S citizens have the pleasure of experiencing, and we do so voluntarily, paying for the privilege!

But maybe you should expose yourself to it now and then just to get used to it in order to be ready.

I generally drive instead of flying. Last July I drove from Brooklyn, NY, to Orange County, CA, and back in 16 days.

But until they build a bridge across the Atlantic, I'm forced to watch the security show now and then. I am amazed they are able to pull it off with a straight face like that. It's almost like they believe in what they do. Hollywood could learn a lot from the TSA.
Last edited by jnk... on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:44 am

Well I grew up when we had to memorize the US Bill of Rights in high school civics class and those rights actually meant something.

As an old dog, I can be taught new tricks ... but being submissive to a police state is not one of them.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:45 am

I hear ya, DS. It takes special training to be an effective double agent.

My hope is that CPAP batteries are the only 'sleeper cells' ever activated on any flight I happen to be on. But I have a feeling that the average TSA agent wouldn't recognize either one.

The present rule is that it is much more important for the public to feel safe than it is for them actually to be safe. The economy is built on a feeling, not on reality.

The in-flight movie rarely holds a light to the quality of the tragicomedy of getting through the gate.

And may no flight I'm on ever be as hijacked as this thread.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:22 am

I wonder if they even teach American History anymore ... like who was Patrick Henry? What Declaration of Independence?

Slats

Post by Slats » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:17 pm

hobbs wrote:Have flown Business Class with KLM, Lan Chile and Air Italia and have always just plugged it in when I was ready to sleep. Not a word was ever said.
I think flying business class has this perk, but I fly economy.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:33 pm

Slats wrote:I think flying business class has this perk, but I fly economy.
Not matter what class you fly in, whether you can use at-seat power for running a medical device is subject to the policy of the airline concerned. Some allow it and some don't.

The point with at-seat power is simply that it is not guaranteed to be available (that is, it is not an air-worthiness issue), so if you bet on it being there and for whatever reason its not, a medical device user could be in difficulty. Some airlines are prepared to let the medical device user risk it, while other don't want to countenance any possibility of a law suit.