It seems I will finally be getting a CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pettyfan45

It seems I will finally be getting a CPAP

Post by pettyfan45 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:55 am

Greetings all, it has been a while. So I finally broke down and decided to go a different hospital (that is just under an hour away from my house) because it was becoming obvious that my local hospital didn't care and was just going to give me the run around. This time i have an actual doctor who specializes in sleep medicine handling this and not just a general practitioner and he was even bewildered on why they didn't put me on CPAP. So I had to have another sleep study (because the results of my first one were too old) and the results for it just came came in (this this I got the full report, here it is if you want too look at it https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByePru ... sp=sharing ). I guess the short version is: my local hospital was full of crap and I did qualify for CPAP after the first study also the run around they gave me was unwarranted
I have moderate OSA and mild CSA (that might be because I took Ambien though) my overall AHI was 23.2 but on my back my AHI was 44.2 (I am going to out of a limb here and say that *might* be why I am normally a side sleeper)
They want me to have a CPAP titration study.
I see my sleep doctor July 18th to discuss my sleep study results I see what we are going to about a DME, I world rather not have to make an extra hour trip (just one way) to get get my supplies when there are DMEs here that are less than 10 minutes away.

Julie

Re: It seems I will finally be getting a CPAP

Post by Julie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:34 am

If I click on that link, I get a blank 'report' (guess you have to sign in).

jaw

Post by jaw » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:35 am

Julie wrote:If I click on that link, I get a blank 'report' (guess you have to sign in).
I can see the PDF, probably he/she has made it public.

using PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus, PR System One Heated Humidifier, Mirage FX Nasal CPAP Mask with headgear.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:17 am

Julie wrote:If I click on that link, I get a blank 'report' (guess you have to sign in).
No you just have to scroll down, I had to blank out parts that had stuff like real name, address, and social security number (you know stuff that I would rather random people not be able to get a hold of easily

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:45 am

I see my sleep doctor July 18th to discuss my sleep study results I see what we are going to about a DME, I world rather not have to make an extra hour trip (just one way) to get get my supplies when there are DMEs here that are less than 10 minutes away.
Call your insurance to find out who is in network. Get your prescription in hand, know what equipment you will need and shop around.

The DME is just where you buy stuff, they should have no relationship with the doctor. Just like a pharmacy. If you have no insurance the shop at cpap.com or secondwind.com for your machine and get your first masks at which ever DME is most convenient.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:22 am

BlackSpinner wrote:
Call your insurance to find out who is in network. Get your prescription in hand, know what equipment you will need and shop around.

The DME is just where you buy stuff, they should have no relationship with the doctor. Just like a pharmacy. If you have no insurance the shop at cpap.com or secondwind.com for your machine and get your first masks at which ever DME is most convenient.

I have already talked the DME about getting a CPAP machine and my insurance should cover everything (and they seem to have changed their Medicaid issue so I don't have to pay anything out of pocket even if I get an Auto machine). But the sleep tech told me to ask my sleep doctor about because she was not sure if the distance would be a factor on whether or not they would honor the prescription, I don't forsee it being an issue seeing how they can just Google them or just call their office. But since I have too see the my sleep doctor anyway mivht as well make sure.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:30 am

e she was not sure if the distance would be a factor on whether or not they would honor the prescription,
That is down right silly unless you are crossing borders. Even then cpap.com accepts my Canadian prescription.

An auto machine has the same billing code as a regular cpap so there shouldn't be an extra charge. Since you are experiencing Ca's you want a fully data capable machine so you can see what is happening in detail.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 am

BlackSpinner wrote:
e she was not sure if the distance would be a factor on whether or not they would honor the prescription,
That is down right silly unless you are crossing borders. Even then cpap.com accepts my Canadian prescription.

An auto machine has the same billing code as a regular cpap so there shouldn't be an extra charge. Since you are experiencing Ca's you want a fully data capable machine so you can see what is happening in detail.
I know it's silly bit sometimes the health care system can be kinda wonky. But it is best to make sure that nothing else will be in the way of getting a CPAP. Honestly if my only hurdles now are deciding whether my DME will be 15 minutes way or about an hour and actually having the Titration study is a hell of a lot better than where was even a few months ago just trying (and failing) to get my doctor to even give a crap and try and help me.

And about the Auto CPAP thing I know they used the same billing codes but they have a limit on how much they will pay out for certain things and whatever is left is my responsibility ( so either Medicaid upped that amount, the DME lowered the price, or Medicaid covered everything and told them to stop charging out of pocket). Also not really that concerned with the CA's (again they might just be from taking an ambien for the study) as much as I am getting an auto machine so as my weight going down I don't need another sleep study or try and manually trying and figure out what lower pressure I might need. Also many of the new auto machines are full data capable anyway so kill 2 birds with one stone.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 am

What you need to realize is that the DME gets paid the same amount from the insurance company no matter what make, model, or year of cpap machine he gives you. That price is fixed by the insurance code. Now, there are models of cpap that are more and less expensive depending on how new they are and which features are included. What works best for the DME is to give you the machine that costs him the least amount of money possible in order to make as much profit as possible. Obviously, this is not what is best for you as you would like to get the newest models with the most features.

My suggestion is to get your prescription in writing for an auto cpap machine with full data. Discuss with the doctor that you want to be able to monitor your progress and see how you are doing. Once you have the prescription, start calling DMEs in your area and ask them which specific make and model cpap machines they have available fo fill the prescription and what, if anything, you will have to pay. You need to be very careful here because the model names and numbers are intentionally very similar and they add fuzzy words to the name, like "plus" and "elite" to further add to the confusion. One way to cut to the chase is to ask them for the REF# number from the bottom of the machine.

For more details on how this all works, please read this excellent blog entry: https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what- ... me-part-i/

I would use the DME that was willing to give me the best machine for the lowest cost no matter where they were located. You won't really need to go back to them much, if at all. Most of them are happy to mail supplies to you. I would also suggest trying the AirFit P10 nasal pillow system first as it is the most popular nasal pillow mask both here and on our sponsor's site cpap.com

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:02 am

I believe also that in many cases they are not legally allowed to charge you extra for that data capable apap.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:11 pm

yaconsult wrote:What you need to realize is that the DME gets paid the same amount from the insurance company no matter what make, model, or year of cpap machine he gives you. That price is fixed by the insurance code. Now, there are models of cpap that are more and less expensive depending on how new they are and which features are included. What works best for the DME is to give you the machine that costs him the least amount of money possible in order to make as much profit as possible. Obviously, this is not what is best for you as you would like to get the newest models with the most features.

My suggestion is to get your prescription in writing for an auto cpap machine with full data. Discuss with the doctor that you want to be able to monitor your progress and see how you are doing. Once you have the prescription, start calling DMEs in your area and ask them which specific make and model cpap machines they have available fo fill the prescription and what, if anything, you will have to pay. You need to be very careful here because the model names and numbers are intentionally very similar and they add fuzzy words to the name, like "plus" and "elite" to further add to the confusion. One way to cut to the chase is to ask them for the REF# number from the bottom of the machine.

For more details on how this all works, please read this excellent blog entry: https://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what- ... me-part-i/

I would use the DME that was willing to give me the best machine for the lowest cost no matter where they were located. You won't really need to go back to them much, if at all. Most of them are happy to mail supplies to you. I would also suggest trying the AirFit P10 nasal pillow system first as it is the most popular nasal pillow mask both here and on our sponsor's site cpap.com
I understand how the pricing stuff works. The local DME that I am looking at has Resmed AirSense 10 machines (they didn't say if it was a CPAP or and Elite, but I could have an Autoset if my doctor requests one).

Getting a full data auto is one of the sings I was planing on talking to my sleep doctor about. As far as local DMEs there are 3: the DME that I have been looking at who did everything they could to get my grandmother to use her CPAP when we moved here almost 20 years ago and also is the company a long to friend of the family uses, a kinda small one that has pretty good Google reviews but I don't know anyone personally who has used them for anything, and Apria witch I have heard nothing put bad things about.

I would like to say with a local one just because I don't drive due to being so tired all the time and I would hate to inconvenience whoever ends up having to make a 2 hour round trip if I have to pick up supplies.If my DME local then worst case I can take the bus or a cab if no one is able to give me a ride.
As far masks go I will try and go with a full face mask as least to start because I get really bad allergy attacks that make it really hard to breath though my nose and then when I can get a new mask (I think it is after 6 months) then I will see about getting a nasal mask and use the full face mask as a backup if my allergies act up.

Omne

Post by Omne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:55 pm

pettyfan45 wrote: As far masks go I will try and go with a full face mask as least to start because I get really bad allergy attacks that make it really hard to breath though my nose and then when I can get a new mask (I think it is after 6 months) then I will see about getting a nasal mask and use the full face mask as a backup if my allergies act up.
You need to check on that. My insurance company is usually pretty tight on anything but they actually paid for a nasal mask and also the full face mask I changed to after a week or so. I use the nasal mask for napping.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:37 am

So I talked to the sleep doctor yesterday and he said there shouldn't be an issue going to my local DME. My CPAP titration is July 25 and I am kinda excited and scared at the same time. After that I have to wait till September to get the results and the actual prescription. I was wondering after prescription how long does to take to get the machine? (Or does it vary by DME)

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:47 am

pettyfan45 wrote:So I talked to the sleep doctor yesterday and he said there shouldn't be an issue going to my local DME. My CPAP titration is July 25 and I am kinda excited and scared at the same time. After that I have to wait till September to get the results and the actual prescription. I was wondering after prescription how long does to take to get the machine? (Or does it vary by DME)
Generally the results are available within a day or two...It's most likely the doctors appointment that you have to wait for. Ask for a copy of the Sleep Study and Prescription for your records. Also...check with your insurance company to see what DMEs are in your network. The wait for the machine will depend on how quickly the DME and insurance get together.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:43 am

LSAT wrote:
pettyfan45 wrote:So I talked to the sleep doctor yesterday and he said there shouldn't be an issue going to my local DME. My CPAP titration is July 25 and I am kinda excited and scared at the same time. After that I have to wait till September to get the results and the actual prescription. I was wondering after prescription how long does to take to get the machine? (Or does it vary by DME)
Generally the results are available within a day or two...It's most likely the doctors appointment that you have to wait for. Ask for a copy of the Sleep Study and Prescription for your records. Also...check with your insurance company to see what DMEs are in your network. The wait for the machine will depend on how quickly the DME and insurance get together.

This new hospital I can access my sleep report online though there website. The DME I am looking at going to take my insurance, though I will give they a call closer to my titration am make sure nothing has changed. As wait goes is anything like medication because I can take a script to Walgreens abd it can be filled in as little as 15 minutes or is getting medical equipment more involved?