New User -- Hoping humidifier is really helpful

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
oaklandcpap

New User -- Hoping humidifier is really helpful

Post by oaklandcpap » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:57 pm

So I have Kaiser and the lent us ResMed AirSense 10 APAPs for a one-month trial but didn't include the humidifier! I tried to have a really good attitude about using cpap for the first time and didn't find the nostril pillows to uncomfortable. Yet after about 4 hours of fitful sleeping being connected, I kinda freaked out and turned it off for the rest of the morning. No big deal, I figured I would get used to it.

What I did not figure on was having my nasal/sinus area irritated like crazy -- I have basically been sneezing or blowing my nose for the two days since. I don't think I'm sick, I think it just burned/irritated my tissue and its still reacting.

I ordered the humidifier attachment ($25) and hope that makes a BIG difference. I have never had any allergies, so all this was definitely caused by the cpap.

So, my question: Will the humidifier really make a big difference? Because I am going to be miserable if it doesn't!

Oh, and thanks for helping us newbies out!

PoolQ

Re: New User -- Hoping humidifier is really helpful

Post by PoolQ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:36 am

many can't sleep without it. sounds like you may be one of those
Sleeping MUCH better now

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:12 am

Google "cpap rhinitis" if you haven't already.

And yes...adding moisture to the air going up your nose will likely help considerably but it may take a few nights for the nasal mucosa to recover from the drying out. I know it took my nasal mucosa a little over 3 days to recover from just one night of using a setting of 1 on the humidifier. Similar symptoms happened when I would forget to add water to the chamber and it would run dry for most of the night.

Symptoms were the typical bad allergy symptoms...congestion, runny nose, sinus pressure, lots of sneezing, etc.
When the nasal mucosa get unhappy they react by swelling and producing histamines and the allergy like symptoms are the result.

In the meantime get something like Simply Saline from the store and use it frequently during the day to help rehydrate the nasal mucosa.

For me...if my humidifier broke for some reason I would be in a real pickle...for me the allergy like symptoms were worse than the sleep apnea symptoms and I have often said that I wouldn't use my machine if my humidifier was broken....so I make sure I have a spare blower and humidifier in case something fails.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:17 am

I love/need my humidifier. I went to a friends for 2 nights and didn't take it along cause I just didn't feel like carting one more thing along, wrong move and will never make that mistake again. I hope it helps you once yours arrives.

oaklandcpap

Post by oaklandcpap » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:37 am

Thank you so much everybody for responding.

Yes, those are my exact symptoms (rhinitis).

What I can't figure is why Kaiser would sabotage us by not giving us a humidifier, especially since they've invested in modern machines.

I just realized though that the reason the humidifier attachment I ordered is so cheap is because it is just the resevoir -- a ResMed AirSense™ 10 Standard Water Chamber.

So new ignorant question: Does the ResMed AirSense10 have a built in humidifier and I can just add this water chamber? I guess I'll call the sleep center at Kaiser and see if they will talk to me.

Another question: Are these heated tubes I'm reading about a replacement for the heating or a supplement to it?

Thanks again

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 am

The heated tubes are a supplement to the heated humidifier. To me, they are more necessary during the winter when my bedroom is colder than it is in the summer. I turn the head down in the summer and raise it during the winter. In the summer, my bedroom is 74 degrees, and in the winter it is 60 degrees. The water chamber goes into the side of the AirSense. If Kaiser did not include the humidifier, they installed a special cover on the AirSense. Do you have the owners manual for the machine? If you do, it will show where the humidifier chamber goes.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

oaklandcpap

Post by oaklandcpap » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks Okie, very helpful.

I see now I was stupid to buy the attachment. This model has been rigged to not accept the attachment, with the special cover, and the software doesn't have the normal humidifier listing. Rather than risk breaking the thing or upsetting Kaiser, I think I'll just take it back tomorrow and see if they'll give me one with a humidifier. FIngers crossed.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:31 pm

The AirSense has a built-in humidifier in all models. A "side cover" is optionally available for anyone who doesn't want the water tank: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... cover.html This costs $20.

The water tank sells for $23: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... amber.html The cover can easily be pulled out and replaced with a water tank.

Since you can accomplish the same thing as the cover plate with the water tank by turning the heater off and leaving the water tank empty, I see no reason to not provide a water tank other than to save $3, although the inflated "list price" difference is probably higher - maybe $10 or $20.

Likewise, I believe that all airsense machines have the circuitry and connections for a heated hose - you just need to be given a heated hose to plug into it. Again, the heated hose is more expensive than the unheated hose so they save money by giving you the cheaper hose.

I would contact the DME and tell them that the cpap is drying you out and tell them that you need a water tank and a heated hose. If they don't agree, contact the doctor's office and have the doctor tell them that you need a water tank and heated hose. I agree with you that it might be easier to try to get them to swap out the entire machine than to try to get the parts out of them. You will be able to see if the water tank is there and you can see the wiring and connections on the heated hose. It's quite disappointing that they would bypass standard features like the water tank. The heated hose often needs to be requested though.