Goodbye, AirFit P10. Call me when you're improved....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dvejr

Goodbye, AirFit P10. Call me when you're improved....

Post by dvejr » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:00 pm

I've tried and tried to like my P10. I keep using it for a month, then giving it up for a while, then trying it again. It is so darned comfortable. So quiet. So exquisitely vented. Did I say comfortable? I love it!!

Not. Those cursed "elastic" straps! No matter what I do, they do NOT hold the nasal end tightly enough to stay put. The darned thing wanders all over my face all night. The straps aren't really very elastic at all; they're just loose and floppy.

Maybe I should wander into a craft shop and buy some elastic ribbons to build my own headgear? Has anyone tried that?

Doug

Janknitz

Re: Goodbye, AirFit P10. Call me when you're improved....

Post by Janknitz » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:21 pm

I haven't tried that mask myself but I think it's worth trying to build your own headgear as long as the vent isn't obstructed. Let us know how it goes.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Cavalier

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Yeah, I was the same way. It was incredibly comfortable but.....I had nothing but leaks all night. I got almost no sleep. The Nuance Pro seems to work the best for me.
Given enough sleep....I could rule the world.

VictorC

Post by VictorC » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:27 am

Have you tried the "For her" headgear? It is smaller and might fit better.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:22 am

The headgear for the P10 stretches out with use.
I have to wash mine in hot water to make it return to a smaller size.

jdr999

Post by jdr999 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:18 am

A hose hanger and washing the straps in hot water (or just replacing them) will help a lot. It only takes a slight amount of pressure for the mask to leak. Fresh straps and something to take extra tension off of the straps will go a long way.

Before getting a hose hanger the mask was unusable for me also. Hope it helps!

Ladyflower

Post by Ladyflower » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:32 am

This is the mask I have been using since I started using my ASV a couple years back. I've tried a couple different masks and keep going back to the Airfit P10. I agree that the headgear is very frustrating. The only way I can keep my mask from shifting all over while I sleep is by putting the bottom strap UNDER my hair and the top strap at the top of my head. This is the only way I can get the headgear to not migrate and slip while I sleep. Of course, if you have short hair that won't help because it will just slip right up the back of your head. I also hate having to replace the strap when it becomes all stretched out after a while. Unfortunately, that is the downside to elastic.
Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV
Mask: AirFit p10 Nasal pillow mask, DreamWear Nasal Mask

jdr999

Post by jdr999 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:44 am

True, the top strap can slip if you don't pull it high enough. I try to get my straps at around a 90 deg. angle to one another (or slightly more).

Machine pressure also matters for me. Usually after 18 I'm heading towards the high leak category regardless...

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:04 am

Here's what I have done . I wear the ruby red adjustable chin strap. Not tight. The P10 top head gear strap stays above the top portion of the chin strap. The bottom p10 head gear strap sits below the bottom portio of the chin strap. I have been using this method since the P 10 mask came out. It stays in position all night and I seldom have any leaks.I also wash the head gear with hot water and dry it in a dryier.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Yep, the P10 was the closest I found to a mask that worked before the Dreamwear was out, but those straps are ridiculous. I'd roll over once and the pillows would be in my eyes. They didn't hold the mask in place at all. I wish the Dreamwear had the venting that the P10 has. That venting is ingenious. The rectangle vent is the most obnoxious part of the Dreamwear. P10 venting on the Dreamwear would be the perfect mask.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:50 pm

I love my P10 and have bought extra straps on ebay. Try the trick of washing the straps only in very hot water and then letting them dry - it works and is shown in the official Resmed youtube video on the mask.

Also, some people have modified the straps by cutting them, looping the end through a velcro cable strap, and then sewing the loop they made. This makes the strap adjustable. For most people it would probably only be necessary to do this on the lower loop of the strap. The velcro on the cable tie sticks directly to the cloth on the other half of the strap. These are the velcro cable ties that I got on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E1Y5O6

If you try any of these, please let us know how it works out.

dcheddar

Post by dcheddar » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:59 pm

Bobby269 wrote:Here's what I have done . I wear the ruby red adjustable chin strap. Not tight. The P10 top head gear strap stays above the top portion of the chin strap. The bottom p10 head gear strap sits below the bottom portio of the chin strap. I have been using this method since the P10 mask came out. It stays in position all night and I seldom have any leaks.
This is how it's done. The P10 straps do not budge.

Jackiep

Post by Jackiep » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Love my Airfit P10.....my solution to the strap issue...bobby pins ! The bottom strap I twist and put at the base of my skull..the top strap I twist and put at the top of my head and secure with bobby pins...never moves. I wash the straps every two weeks with mild soap and very hot water...allow to air dry.

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:48 pm

I've been using the P10 since Day One- Almost two years. From the very first night I have slept great with it. My issue, like everyone elses, is that the straps stretch out too easily. Hot water washing helps temporarily. What I end up doing is taking an X-acto knife and cutting out another 'button hole' about 3/4 inches above the original hole. This really tightens up the straps nicely. After a few months, though, that new cut starts wearing out/fraying.
I wish Resmed would make a better headgear for this otherwise great mask.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Not related to the strap issue, but I need to clean out the mesh every month or so.
Water pic or denture tablet. Easiest way to clear the mesh.