Buying Distilled water in Europe

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: Buying Distilled water in Europe

Post by Julie » Fri May 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Sabrina

Post by Sabrina » Fri May 27, 2016 4:17 pm

I'm writing to you from Switzerland. We have distilled water in every supermarket and it's very cheap. Yes, it's in the cleaning section but it's what everyone with cpap uses over here. If you're worried that it's not good enough (don't be!) you can also get medical grade distilled water in every pharmacy. But it'll cost you four times more and my sleep doctor says don't bother, the supermarket kind is fine. Enjoy your trip!

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:32 am

Thank you all!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 28, 2016 12:56 pm

If it is safe for your iron, it is safe for you.
When you iron clothes, some of that lovely-smelling steam is there to breathe.
It will not hurt you--unless there is a hell of a lot wrong with you to begin with.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:44 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
palerider wrote:
rick blaine wrote:"SWISSeau is 100% natural and organic.
Organic..... water
Yes I am not sure how they can make water "organic" Add some carbon molecules? Some green slime?
Unfortunately, they've allowed the marketing scumbags to misappropriate the term "organic." It's even a legal/regulatory definition divorced from the original chemical definition, and might include 'non-carbon" products.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I appreciate you. I will have the same luck finding it in Italy? Also in grocery market?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:51 pm

lathnos46 wrote:Thank you to everyone who has responded. I appreciate you. I will have the same luck finding it in Italy? Also in grocery market?
Italy is in Europe last I heard.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:57 pm

You know, BlackSpinner, I heard Italy has moved out of Europe and has settled down near the Canary Islands.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:00 pm

was it getting too crowded in Europe for Italy?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lathnos46

Post by lathnos46 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Yes, and the rains and flooding were making it nervous.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:18 am

Hi lathnos46,

Altho' I have been to Italy many times - gigs in Udine and Milano, for example - I don't have any experience of going to supermarkets and pharmacies there. Whereas I have shopped in several cities in Germany and in Switzerland, which is why I posted as I did above.

What I can tell you is that the tap water in most of Italy (Rimini, for instance, where I also had a gig) is notoriously bad. And the advice given above (about just using tap water at a pinch) is something I would not do in Italy.

I go back to suggesting you find and use the best, least-mineral-content, still, spring water.*

And insist on it being both low-mineral content and non-carbonated. If you just ask for 'bottled water' in Italy, they will most likely give you minerale (pronounced: min-err-ahh-lay) - which is both fizzy and heavily laced with minerals.

* Or take some suitably distilled water with you when you exit Switzerland.

Charlieapnea

Post by Charlieapnea » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:31 am

Friends-
The only places to find distilled water in Europe are gas stations, truck stops, and highway service areas. It is called demineralsed water. Europeans use it in their car batteries.

Keep breathing

Charlie

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Charlieapnea wrote:Friends-
The only places to find distilled water in Europe are gas stations, truck stops, and highway service areas. It is called demineralsed water. Europeans use it in their car batteries.

Keep breathing

Charlie

That figures, I have never needed to use distilled water in auto batteries, not many of Ben Franklin batteries left in the world, many years ago it became totally unnecessary (since the early 1960's). i've been a master mechanic, since 1965. The only time I ever use distilled water was Viet Nam 1965, in the Army we had sulfuric acid in 5 gallon glass jugs, it was like syrup and had to be mixed to the correct specific gravity. Due to the heat we used a a different specific gravity, to keep the battery acid from cooking off. I used IV water from our hospital to do this, paying attention no attention to what I was taught in HS, I added water to the acid a NO-No, the jug was almost empty and 3/4 inch thick glass in a wooden crate. We didn't have the correct tools to handle it.

I proceeded very slow, but not slow enough, the temp change of the reaction cracked the jug at the liquid line, a perfect ring. I saved the project, and got the job done as usual. Batteries were Gold to us over there, very hard to get. Now Days batteries are low maintenance and require very little water topping off, or none, so basically tap water makes little difference, like changing the air in your tires in the winter. (Blue for Winter, Red for Summer, or having your Blinker Fluid changed yearly.) Jim

Good thing I had a Secret Clearance in the Military. I never let the formula out for making distilled water, we didn't want to share it with Europe. I'll now let them in on it, it's the same as making Jack Daniels Whisky, except you leave everything out but the water, put it in glass not wood barrels, and you don't age it. There you go arrest me!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Doublev

Post by Doublev » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:58 am

Lol. This is an old thread but in costa rica a few weeks ago the hotel had to find me distilled water and it was from their maintenance shed for battery use. they brought me a large opened bottle and i made them go find me a brand new one. If it is for "medical" purposes the hotel will bend over backwards for you so dont worry. You can email them first too if you want. In the US i usually order from amazon prime now (2 hour delivery) if available in the city i am staying at. Otherwise ill amazon it a day or two in advanced (1 or 2 day ship). Dont carry the heavy water and dont waste an hour finding it. Im leaving a hotel now with half bottle full behind.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Doublev wrote:Lol. This is an old thread but in costa rica a few weeks ago the hotel had to find me distilled water and it was from their maintenance shed for battery use. they brought me a large opened bottle and i made them go find me a brand new one. If it is for "medical" purposes the hotel will bend over backwards for you so dont worry. You can email them first too if you want. In the US i usually order from amazon prime now (2 hour delivery) if available in the city i am staying at. Otherwise ill amazon it a day or two in advanced (1 or 2 day ship). Dont carry the heavy water and dont waste an hour finding it. Im leaving a hotel now with half bottle full behind.
Their 1947 Caddy, thanks you! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire