Time for a new Auto-Pap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kempo

Time for a new Auto-Pap

Post by kempo » Thu May 12, 2016 12:47 pm

Six years ago I came to this forum to get advise own what machine to buy and got a lot of good advice on what was available and what to expect. I settled on a Resmed s9. It has worked well for me for the past 6 years. I just turned 65 last month and I am now on medicare and Bluecross and Blueshield plan G for a supplement. I went to my medical supply store today and I found out they no longer make the s9 but they did have an s10.

Is the s10 as good as the s9?

Are there any hoops I have to jump through to get a new machine?

This is the best place to find out any and everything about sleep apnea and I appreciated when I was starting my new life as a hose head 6 years ago.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gasper62

Re: Time for a new Auto-Pap

Post by Gasper62 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:13 pm

I don't know anything about your plan, or, what your out of pocket portion will be but, there are still plenty of S9 Autosets around if that's what you want to stay with.

kempo

Post by kempo » Thu May 12, 2016 1:37 pm

Gasper62 wrote:I don't know anything about your plan, or, what your out of pocket portion will be but, there are still plenty of S9 Autosets around if that's what you want to stay with.
After I meet my medicare part B, $166 and I have already meet it, my medigap plan picks up everything medicare doesn't pay.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu May 12, 2016 3:19 pm

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr ... toset.html
From what I see, the Airsense 10 seems little changed from the S9, new wrapper, maybe a few changes to the firmware, essentially the same algorithms. The Airsense for Her has an additional mode, but I've yet to see somebody say they have benefitted from it. I'm eligible for a new machine, too, but I have one of the latest model S9's and it's difficult to see a reason to "waste" my eligibility on what I already have, if you know what I mean.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu May 12, 2016 3:44 pm

Since the Airsense 10s came out, the S9s have dropped in price.
Have you looked at http://www.secondwindcpap.com for some additional ones?
Quite a few machines available from users here on the forum, too. ( like "grayghost4" )

Personally, I stocked up on the ones I liked while they were still available and were cheaper (and before I got on Medicare).
Many/most were virtually "unused" when I bought them. I didn't want to deal with the bureaucracy after I got on Medicare, so everything was purchased out-of-pocket.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

kempo

Post by kempo » Thu May 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr ... toset.html
From what I see, the Airsense 10 seems little changed from the S9, new wrapper, maybe a few changes to the firmware, essentially the same algorithms. The Airsense for Her has an additional mode, but I've yet to see somebody say they have benefitted from it. I'm eligible for a new machine, too, but I have one of the latest model S9's and it's difficult to see a reason to "waste" my eligibility on what I already have, if you know what I mean.

Jay I do understand what you're talking about and I'm debating on whether I should hold out for a while on a new machine. The s9 I have now I paid out of pocket for most of it because my insurance at that time had a high deductible. It still performs as good as it did when new as for as I can tell but who knows how long it will do that. If the s10 is anywhere near as good as the s9 has been I would be happy.

I was told that my GP could write the prescription for a new machine. Is that correct?

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Thu May 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Just replaced an S9 AutoSet with a S10 Auto after going on Medicare. Have supplemental Anthem/BlueCross "F" plan and paying $0 for machine & supplies. Only difference I have noted between the two are, IMO, the S9 packed better for travel, you need an extra part if you travel without the humidifier on the S10 and the S10 uses water quicker when set to "auto".

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu May 12, 2016 5:19 pm

kempo wrote:I was told that my GP could write the prescription for a new machine. Is that correct?
Yes, your GP can write a prescription, but I don't know what kind of snag you will run into with Medicare. For a Medicare replacement, there are a couple of forms for the Doctor to fill out. Sorry, I don't know them off hand. However, I'm sure your DME is familiar and has the forms - mine does. Since this may not be a "replacement" in Medicare's view, perhaps all you will need is a prescription. But then, you may have to go through some sort of compliance period with Medicare. I don't know.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:05 pm

If you don't have a backup machine already, I'd suggest going ahead and getting a new machine and keeping the old one. 6 years might have it close to the end of it's life. Spares are always a good idea in my opinion. YMMV. Good luck.

mike1953

Post by mike1953 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:24 pm

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Sun May 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Since the Airsense 10s came out, the S9s have dropped in price.
Have you looked at http://www.secondwindcpap.com for some additional ones?.
secondwindcpap is excellent and reliable supplier.
I use S9 at home and my older S8 for travel. Would reorder either model in a heartbeat (i don't use a humidifier).

kempo

Post by kempo » Sun May 15, 2016 8:54 pm

mike1953 wrote:https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/sleep-study.html
https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/sleep ... ories.html

Visit the links I have provided above about medicare and cpap.

Thanks for the links mike.

kempo

Post by kempo » Mon May 16, 2016 11:23 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
kempo wrote:I was told that my GP could write the prescription for a new machine. Is that correct?
Yes, your GP can write a prescription, but I don't know what kind of snag you will run into with Medicare. For a Medicare replacement, there are a couple of forms for the Doctor to fill out. Sorry, I don't know them off hand. However, I'm sure your DME is familiar and has the forms - mine does. Since this may not be a "replacement" in Medicare's view, perhaps all you will need is a prescription. But then, you may have to go through some sort of compliance period with Medicare. I don't know.

I carried my card to my DME to print off my therapy results to show my GP. I stop by my GP's office to make an appointment and talked to his nurse. She told me she was sure the new rules for medicare require a new sleep study after 5 years. My appointment for my GP is this Wednesday so I will let everyone know what he says incase anyone else here is fixing to go through this process.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Mon May 16, 2016 1:28 pm

[/quote]I carried my card to my DME to print off my therapy results to show my GP. I stop by my GP's office to make an appointment and talked to his nurse. She told me she was sure the new rules for medicare require a new sleep study after 5 years. My appointment for my GP is this Wednesday so I will let everyone know what he says incase anyone else here is fixing to go through this process.[/quote]

And maybe not? My last study was in 2003, I had not seen a sleep doctor in 9 years and I turned 65 in December 2015. I took the new Doctor a 6-month compliance report from ResScan on 01/11/16 and received a new S10 and supplies paid at 100% the beginning of March from Nationwide Medical. Medicare B and Anthem/Blue-Cross F.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 16, 2016 1:56 pm

It depends on the original sleep study (type of study and criteria used to diagnose) as to whether Medicare will be okay with that sleep study or require a new one.

I don't think that Medicare has changed this part for people new to Medicare but already cpap users.
I used to have a link to Medicare page that explained all this but I can't find it now.

The DME that you are using (who should have all your sleep study data because they needed it in the first place) would be the ones to help you figure out what you may or may not need to convert to Medicare payor...they are going to have to do it for cpap masks, etc anyway.

Now if you do get Medicare to okay a new machine (with or without that new sleep study)...then you will have to jump through all the normal hoops that any Medicare cpap patient has to go through....
13 month rent to own...part B deductibles...requirement for a face to face interview with your doctor sometimes within the 31 and 90th day of therapy for the doc to say "it's working and you are using it"...and the minimum compliance requirement of 4 hours a night for 70 % of the nights within 30 consecutive days prior to that 90 th day after getting the machine but we assume you won't have the compliance issue.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.