Treatment Variability with Full Face Cushion for Quattro™ FX

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MaxDarkside

Treatment Variability with Full Face Cushion for Quattro™ FX

Post by MaxDarkside » Tue May 10, 2016 6:58 pm

I notice that when I change "cushions" or "seals" for my Quattro™ FX full face mask my events take big steps up or down for the duration of using that seal (as observed in Sleepyhead). I presume this is variations in the quality of the seal. Do others see this variability? Is there much point in asking for an exchange when I get one that "steps up" in events? I buy here at cpap.com.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

Gasper62

Re: Treatment Variability with Full Face Cushion for Quattro™ FX

Post by Gasper62 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:34 pm

" Is there much point in asking for an exchange"

Not sure, but, it won't cost ya anything to ask em.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Tue May 10, 2016 8:37 pm

If I get another bad one I probably will. No need in tossing $54 in the trash. Do you like your Airfit? Did you use the Quattro Fx before?

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed May 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi Max, good to "see" you again.
I always had trouble with the Fx cushions. Lots of times for me, they just wouldn't seat in the frame properly. I tried it for about a year, went back to the plain Quattro and then moved on to the Quattro Air and the Airfit F10, which both use the same cushion interchangeably, which is nice (Also $54). I like both masks better than the Fx and plain Quattro. About a year ago, I started the transition to Pillows, which to my amazement, I seemed to have accomplished. So now I'm using the Airfit P10.
I have noticed that new full face cushions (not limited to Fx) seemed to require a few days "break in" period before they seemed to fit right.
J

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:34 pm

MaxDarkside wrote:If I get another bad one I probably will. No need in tossing $54 in the trash. Do you like your Airfit? Did you use the Quattro Fx before?
I "like" the F10 as much as one can like a torture device, I guess. I have never tried the Quattro FX. I did attempt to use a Mirage Quattro for one or two nights.....it's been in a box ever since, definitely not a good choice for my facial topography. I think a lot of fit variations come from the ever-changing stretch characteristics of the headgear materials. If you think you were sent a "bad/defective" cushion, I'd ask to return it. The worst that can happen is they'll say no. Good luck finding what'll work for you.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon May 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi Jay!

Yes, I have not been on here in a couple years. Last year was a tough one. I was doing business in oil and gas and that took a poop, but now is back on a strong roll. My mom got pancreatic cancer and I spent 5 months at her hospice bedside in the front room of her home in Oregon, caring for her every need, partnering with her husband. She passed, taking her last breath as I held her hand on May 28th last year. I ended up getting 3 stents to the ol' ticker last July after failing a stress echo. No heart attack tho, which is great. Now I work out 3-4x per week in the gym.

Thanks, Gasper62. I may try your style of torture device I got a new seal and it seems stiffer, more substantial and the leaks are way down. I'll go with that for a while.

Thanks!

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon May 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Max,

My condolences on the passing of your mom.
Though, I am glad you seem to be doing pretty well after such a terrible year.

J

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue May 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:Hi Max, good to "see" you again.
I always had trouble with the Fx cushions. Lots of times for me, they just wouldn't seat in the frame properly. I tried it for about a year, went back to the plain Quattro and then moved on to the Quattro Air and the Airfit F10, which both use the same cushion interchangeably, which is nice (Also $54). I like both masks better than the Fx and plain Quattro. About a year ago, I started the transition to Pillows, which to my amazement, I seemed to have accomplished. So now I'm using the Airfit P10.
I have noticed that new full face cushions (not limited to Fx) seemed to require a few days "break in" period before they seemed to fit right.
J
Ditto... pretty much my progression (leaving out the ending up with nasal pillows part). A few nights on a new cushion does seem to help the fit/seal on FFMs.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Wed May 18, 2016 5:21 pm

I have used both the Quattro FX and the Airfit F10. On me, the F10 was too narrow as the corners of my mouth were right at the cushion's edge. I ended up giving that mask away. I agree that it takes a few days for the QFX cushion to settle in. I also boil my QFX cushion about once a month to revive it. I usually get three months out of a cushion.

As a second mask, I have recently added the Simplus into the line-up and really like how it fits me. It sits higher on the bridge of my nose, so I can alternate masks when my nose rebels. As a third runner-up, I have an Amara View, which doesn't involve the bridge of my nose at all. I have minimum leaks with all three.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed May 18, 2016 5:33 pm

Yeah, I liked the Simplus, too. The fit is slightly different than the ResMed FFM's