Prepper question re long term power outage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
plr66

Prepper question re long term power outage

Post by plr66 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:22 pm

Hi Folks--It's been a number of years since I was an active participant here, but life sometimes gets in the way. Forgive me if this topic has been adequately covered already, and I just haven't done my Search well enough. (Links are welcome!)

My question:
If the power grid goes down for an extended period of time, and I can no longer utilize my propane generator or my car battery, what options are there for me to keep my cpap running? (I have two cpaps with backup batteries, but fear they are probably dead from never being used or recharged). I would love to hear any instruction on what I should do with new batteries from now on to preserve their utility---as well as how to use a small solar panel recharging system or anything else that might possibly work effectively. Thanks!
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Wulfman...

Re: Prepper question re long term power outage

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:19 pm

plr66 wrote:Hi Folks--It's been a number of years since I was an active participant here, but life sometimes gets in the way. Forgive me if this topic has been adequately covered already, and I just haven't done my Search well enough. (Links are welcome!)

My question:
If the power grid goes down for an extended period of time, and I can no longer utilize my propane generator or my car battery, what options are there for me to keep my cpap running? (I have two cpaps with backup batteries, but fear they are probably dead from never being used or recharged). I would love to hear any instruction on what I should do with new batteries from now on to preserve their utility---as well as how to use a small solar panel recharging system or anything else that might possibly work effectively. Thanks!
HELLO, HELLO, HELLO!!!
How have you been?

Yes, that's been the subject of many discussions in various forms.

Try this search for starters and if you run out of reading material.........come on back.

viewtopic/t111576/search.php?keywords=e ... uthor=&fid

If that link doesn't work, go up to the Search line and put in "emergency power and battery backup".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:26 pm

I think if the power grid goes down for an extended period of time, running our xPAPs will be very low on our priority list. Security, water and food will be of immediate concern. If you're thinking of something like an EMP taking out the Grid, I expect the pulse would wipe out any exposed solar collectors and their associated electronics.

That said, you can always keep a solar panel disconnected and wrapped in some metal shielding (aluminum foil?) and stored away in your basement. You can also buy a lead-acid battery, drain all the electrolyte from it, then rinse it out with distilled/deionized water and store it inverted and dry until it's needed. Then, when you need it, simply re-fill it with electrolyte and it will be ready to go. When I was in high school I worked after school in an auto parts store. Car batteries were shipped and stored on the shelves dry. When a customer wanted a battery, we filled it with electrolyte which was stored in a heavy polyethylene bag contained in a heavy cardboard box. Sort of like so-called box-wines. Only not really the same thing.
Last edited by Slartybartfast on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amenite

Post by amenite » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 pm

You mean you don't have one of those Lister 2 cylinder diesel engine that run forever ready to go? Seriously though, one or a few decent sized solar panels will keep you going for a long long time. If the sun stops shining I don't think you'll want to be around much longer anyhow.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Take a couple of old bikes hook them up to drive generators, catch a couple of zombies, chain them to the bikes. Hang fresh brains on a fishing pole in front of them, use the power generated to recharge the batteries. jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Goofproof wrote:Take a couple of old bikes hook them up to drive generators, catch a couple of zombies, chain them to the bikes. Hang fresh brains on a fishing pole in front of them, use the power generated to recharge the batteries. jim
The forums need a LIKE button!

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:27 pm

If by extended your talking serious dooms day stuff - IE major disaster weather, earth quake, etc. I think solar is your only real option. Having batteries that can remain inert until needed might be a good idea if we're talking about the end of the world but it's all a mater of your expectations. I would say even for a major disaster in the US. If you have a few quality deep cycle batteries and a solar charging system capable of charging them you should be ok. For a long time maybe even year or more. I don't know enough about batteries to give you a really long term idea of how long they could last. If you have to generate your own power for more then 2 months and you live in the US then we're all SOL and I think we'd have bigger concerns then running our CPAP systems.

I'm linking an "Example" not a recommendation it's just an idea to go on - based on the fact that I some times shop at this place and remembered seeing solar charging systems for sale there.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-so ... 68751.html

This would give you an idea of what you could look at spending - add a few hundred dollars for batteries or more depending on quality, type, and capacity.

For my own personal non zombie apostolic needs. I have a 110 amp hour deep cycle marine battery that I keep topped off with a digital battery tender. I've personally tested it with my pressure needs of 13 with a basic DC CPAP system I have and was able to run it for a week with out having to charge it. My sleep apnea is at a level of severity that I can't go with out my cpap - in the event of power outage due to storm or "idiot crashing car in to transformer" I have to have power for my system no exceptions.

There's lots of content online when it comes to batteries and systems for charging them up. Lots of websites for people who like to "Live off the grid" would be a good starting point as well. People who've had a chance to run battery solar systems for years by choice and have experienced their own pitfalls and problems and learned how to overcome them.

I wish you luck with your search.

Love the bicycle zombie charger idea. Got to look into that.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:41 pm

OK—Had to recover from losing TWO long replies that I attempted last night. Jeesh!!

Well, despite my absence of several years here, I can see that little has changed at CPAPtalk. It’s still an incredible forum with patient & helpful people having a wealth of information & experience, who are willing to spend tons of time responding to all inquiries. Thanks to all who have posted on my questions.

Den, I didn’t recognize your new (?) avatar, but am delighted to see you are still here! Yes I am well---retired now & traveling a Lot, and really glad that tiny cpaps are now being made like my Transcend. Hope you are also doing well. Thanks so much for the link. I just have never been very efficient at doing searches, I’m afraid. I am sure it will keep me stay occupied for awhile!

SBF, in my case, my cpap is in the top 4 absolute necessities for any emergency, as I would not long function or survive without it. I have no prior knowledge of the process you describe, and admit that I feel a bit intimidated by it. Is this a safe, simple and reliable way to save batteries? Where do you find electrolyte?

And Jim, still a hoot! Hope you are also well. Thanks for the grin……but “Shiver me timbers!!!”

Gryphon, I really appreciate your painstaking and detailed response. I am so easily baffled by electrical & battery stuff, so will have a lot of learning to do here. I guess there are 2 ways to go for a long term power out. One is to get large solar panels with a deep cycle marine battery. The other, that I am asking about here, involves the fact that I have a small backup battery dedicated to my Transcend cpap. I also have a couple of small 3-panel “backpacking” type solar panels for re-charging household batteries & small devices like iPad & iPhone—and am still wondering whether one of these can re-charge the cpap battery somehow.

Thanks again everyone. I sure appreciate you!
Peggy

PS—Jim & Gryphon, let me know how that zombie charger idea works out for you!
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:19 pm

Solar will be great....unless it's "nuclear winter" . In that case.... I imaging either diesel or pedal energy will be needed to generate electricity. Hydro would be awesome, if you're near flowing water. I'm sure there's a thousand prepper sites/forums with countless threads dedicated to this subject.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:34 pm

Sleep on your stomach.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Lead acid deep charge storage batteries, have about 5 years max useful lifespand. You might try to find a couple that are dry stored ( sealed no electrolyte ) you can also buy the electrolyte in plastic bags in cardboard boxes, ours were 5 gal, 3 one gallon should do two batteries. When you fill them their life clock starts.

Another pepper solution would be steam power running a generator, to charge the battery. If you have a pond and stream, a water wheel could be a idea. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

plr66

Post by plr66 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:41 pm

Gasper62 wrote:Solar will be great....unless it's "nuclear winter" . In that case.... I imaging either diesel or pedal energy will be needed to generate electricity. Hydro would be awesome, if you're near flowing water. I'm sure there's a thousand prepper sites/forums with countless threads dedicated to this subject.
Thanks, Gasper62, but honestly I'm not looking for general electricity generation. I simply want to find a simple (if possible) solar solution for running my cpap, and whether or not it's possible to use solar to recharge my battery. (Well, like I said in my original post...)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:47 pm

You won't have to worry about the phone, no cell towers, no phone, no internet. I could watch my video library though. US older generation know how to surive, but our bodies aren't good enough to. The young have the bodies,but lack the training. Jim

plr66

Post by plr66 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:24 pm

LinkC wrote:Sleep on your stomach.
Huh???

plr66

Post by plr66 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:26 pm

Goofproof wrote:Lead acid deep charge storage batteries, have about 5 years max useful lifespand. You might try to find a couple that are dry stored ( sealed no electrolyte ) you can also buy the electrolyte in plastic bags in cardboard boxes, ours were 5 gal, 3 one gallon should do two batteries. When you fill them their life clock starts.

Another pepper solution would be steam power running a generator, to charge the battery. If you have a pond and stream, a water wheel could be a idea. Jim
Jim, I don't have access to a stream. Where would I find the items you & SBF have referred to?