Dreamstation Auto CPAP - Initial Impressions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Justin Case

Dreamstation Auto CPAP - Initial Impressions

Post by Justin Case » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:38 pm

I am creating this thread for those who like me who have had maybe 1 CPAP machine before and are perhaps considering this new machine as an upgrade.

I just started a 7 to 21 day trial right now using the Dreamstation Auto Cpap. I am coming from the workhorse, Remstar Pro Auto and this is my first attempt to provide a review, so forgive me if it is not as "professional" as others may post.

The first thing I noticed about this apparatus is it's size. It is several inches shorter in length from my 7 year old machine. However, it is definitely not as tall. The device including humidifier weighs much less than the Remstar Pro, but add the ridiculous heavy power adapter, it is only about 1 lbs less. There's really not much of a difference in almost a decade.

The Dreamstation is certainly quieter than my Remstar, but not a heckuva lot quieter. As far as the algorithm is considered, I can tell the machine is much more "smoother" in adjusting pressure than the Remstar.

As far as features goes, they simply are ok but the user interface is clumsy in my opinion. The light of the LCD is very bright and it takes a while to dim when not in use after touching the dial. I don't consider the interface intuitive at all. You have a rotary type dial and you search for you what you want. I am often confused when the humidifier is on or off. The preset heat is also confusing. Unlike my Remstar, I knew the humidifier was on because the humidifier had it's own separate led.

Another issue I have is that my Remstar had a feature, in addition to the ramp feature , where it would allow me to enter "no APAP adjust" mode. This feature would disable APAP for 2 hours, or 4 hours when turned on. However, the Dreamstation does not have this feature which I really miss. It made my transition to sleep a lot more easier because I often hold my breath and the machine wouldn't need to adjust the pressure while I was dozing off.

The Dreamstation has some new additions like a modem and bluetooth. I thought i read that BT would turn on automatically after three days when turned off. If that is the case, that's another stupid implementation by Respironics. You can set the device's clock if not correct, but only in 30 minute intervals. That is simply baffling. I believe the clock is not really the device's clock, rather just for you. I believe the actual time is set internally and can't be changed without sending it to the manufacturer. That is the same with my Remstar. The clock is always off by several hours and gets worse as time goes on. After all these years, Respironics can't have an auto correct time feature.

The mobile app called Dreammapper software is essentially useless. It only gives general information about your events on a daily or weekly basis. Unfortunately, at this time, I do not have the software for this machine to view detailed info.

My AHI results are similar to the old Remstar, so not much has changed with their technology with the exception of a new label: "Clear events". Respironics now calls central apneas "clear events". I had about 10 within 7 hours. I rarely had any with my Remstar. My guess is the software can pick these up more now than before.

I will update this thread as needed or if others would like to add their impressions, feel free. I will likely try the Resmed Airsense 10 next.
JC

deerslayer

Re: Dreamstation Auto CPAP - Initial Impressions

Post by deerslayer » Sun May 08, 2016 6:08 pm

having used a couple M series machines & now using the resmed S9Elite this machine is my favorite so far.
Even after talking face to face with the east coast PR sales rep this past weekend, want to hold out for the next gen machines from Resmed when i'm due for one. Maybe by that time Resmed will have one Blue tooth capable with my iphone...hint .. hint !

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon May 09, 2016 11:10 am

I went from 6 years on a PRS1 auto to the ResMed Airsense Auto and I love it. About the only thing I'd agree with in your review is the bright screen when it first turns on. Far better than the stupid PRS1 beep, but it still manages to disturb my husband.

Otherwise I find it a great machine. Exceedingly quiet, comfortable algorithm with soft transitions, great screen access. Easy to fill and clean the humidifier chamber, nice travel bag. I don't travel much by air, so the weight is not an issue for me.

I've only had these two machines and I'm very pleased with this one.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

catbirdgirl

Post by catbirdgirl » Mon May 09, 2016 2:59 pm

The light screen on the front is more annoying than the beep used to be! I have been putting a bandana over it.