Poll: how many masks did you try?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How many masks did you try out before finding one you could use long-term?

19%
11%
15%
17%
5%
6 or more
32%

Total votes: 111

lvehko

Poll: how many masks did you try?

Post by lvehko » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:43 am

Also wondering how many mask trials it takes on average before finding one that is acceptable...

lvehko

Post by lvehko » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:07 pm

Bump

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:39 pm

I am on mask #4, the comfort lite 2, with nasal pillows. I hope this works for me as I am getting frustrated! Only been on CPAP for one month and some nights rip the mask off, say a few choice words, turn off CPAP and try to go to sleep. I do find it harder to exhale with the pillows than with the other full nose masks, any ideas?

RedThunder94

Post by RedThunder94 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:54 pm

i still have and use my first mask, the comfortfull 2. although i do have 5 masks total.

GoofyUT

LOVE

Post by GoofyUT » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:20 pm

Had a brief, torrid fling with Activa when I first started.....

That burnt itself out in short order, but then I found...........SWIFT!!!!

It was love at first sniff. A deep, abiding love that has lasted ever since!!!

But......I'm a MAN. So, after a period of time, my thoughts began wandering back to those luscious curves and oh so soft and supple Active-Cell cushions. I was weak. And I gave in. I went back to Activa, casting my beloved Swift aside.

But true LOVE does conquer!!!! After a short, joyful and guiltless fling with my dear Activa, I realized where my heart (and nose) belonged and came back to Swift, more humble and wiser and mature than I was before.

Oh, its so GOOD to back where I belong! And now, Swift and I are considering a new adventure with sharing our bed with some new skirt named Hybrid. Who knows where it'll end???

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:21 pm

Chuck is shamelessly playing the field.

Go Chuck!

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:20 pm

I voted 3, meaning I tried 3 before finding no. 4 good for long term use.
However, my favorite one now is no. 5.
And no. 5 went through a long tweak and error period before it achieved its status. It was worth it.

O.

gandalf

Post by gandalf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:25 am

Bump.. (Note I am resurrecting an old poll)

Being at the start of my saga of "Mask Wars" I am curious to see how many masks I may be going through before a cease fire is called.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:43 am

I have 6 masks and none is comfortable all of the time. I switch off among usually 3 of them and haven't given up on the other 3. Occasionally I switch in the middle of the night since I don't have the patience to fiddle with my mask at that miserable time

Mindy

kluzo

Post by kluzo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:54 am

After talking to a few family members & freinds that have cpap I was told "Don't horse around, just get the FF right off the bat." (advise from a wise old man.... my Dad.) My trial mask was the ResMed Ultra Mirage FF. This gave me the time to look around and I settled on the Quattro. (0.08L/s last night)

According to my sleep study it only took me 4 mins to fall asleep. If I can fall asleep that fast (which is prob. 2 mins longer then normal for me) with all that cr@p on my head, chest, back, calves, face etc etc, then I have no problem on falling asleep with a FF on.

Cheers

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:59 am

I have tried probably 10 different masks in a year trying to find the perfect mask and what I found out is THERE IS NO PERFECT MASK. I have finally settled on 3 different masks that I can work with.
The Activa, The Somnotech, & F&P 406.

Arizona-Willie

Mask count

Post by Arizona-Willie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:04 pm

During my sleep study the only mask I could tolerate was the Activa so the doc wrote my prescription for that.

My cheating DME sent out a Mirage Ultra with a guy to set up my machine and mask.

I used it for a couple of nights and called the DME and told them I wanted the Activa the script was written for and they sent it right out.

I used it for a long long time then experimented with the Hybrid but after a week my nose was too sore to continue and I went back to the Hybrid.

Then, maybe a year ago I tried the Hybrid again and had no problem. I was amazed my nose didn't hurt. Then I had them get me the new Hybrid and all was great.

Recently, though I went back to the Ultra thinking some small leaks might be bothering my eyes but after a couple of weeks I am back to the Hybrid.

Gonna stay with it I believe.

So I answered 2 in the poll because I had tried two masks ... the Mirage Ultra and Activa before finding the Hybrid which seems to be the best solution for me.

But actually the second mask .. the Activa ... was one I can and did use for a long time ... but I think I've used the Hybrid more. Too bad they don't have hour meters on 'em

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): mirage, activa, DME, Prescription

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:13 pm

according to the poll i must not be alone 6

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

jsmythe

Post by jsmythe » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:53 pm

This is an interesting thread, thanks Gandalf for the resurrection .

My first mask that I brought home from DME was Liberty. At the same time, my best friend gave me an Activa. The Liberty was a no go from get go and I couldn't get the Activa to seal at all!! Then, I think I tried every mask on the market the DME had the first month, finally settling on UMFF. Didn't like it either so I picked up the Activa and started working with it until I got it right. Now, it is my favorite above all others.

Started using cpap Sept. 12, 2007
Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap Auto w/Flex,pressure of 9/15, do not use ramp

Baldskinner

Re: Poll: how many masks did you try?

Post by Baldskinner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Three and still looking. I been using cpap two months now and I am having a hard time with leaking.