Anyone have weight loss solve thier apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
a_gunslinger

Anyone have weight loss solve thier apnea?

Post by a_gunslinger » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:14 am

Out of curiosity, has anyone lost a lot of weight and noticed their apnea improve or go away? My physician suggested a trend toward body size, neck size, etc being more common in OSA and CSA. Just not nearly as many skinny people ;^) I could stand to lose 40 pounds, and am going to try. Just wondering of improved apnea could be a pleasant side effect.

Julie

Re: Anyone have weight loss solve thier apnea?

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:39 am

If you lose a lot of weight (40 lbs may not qualify) through e.g. bariatric surgery, a few people have been known to be able to get off Cpap following a new sleep study, but the majority who lose (and so often regain later on) 20, 30 lbs are not usually able to stop. Things may improve, pressures may be able to go down, but in general most need to stay on Cpap. What does need to change often is the mask, because your face changes a lot early on in weight loss.

Violet West

Post by Violet West » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:07 am

My doc says it's not even mostly a weight problem -- mostly age because our muscles get softer and lose tone as we age naturally; and for women, the lack of hormonal protection after menopause also comes into play. So for most of us I would think, losing weight would improve things, but not a "cure." I'm guessing if there are younger people out there whose OSA is due to severe obesity, that might be different for them.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:24 am

In weight loss surgery they found it was a 50/50 chance that your OSA would be solved.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:24 am

When I lost nearly 40 pounds, going down to "not overweight",
It did not make a damn bit of difference with my apnea/pressure.
Losing weight was otherwise WONDERFUL! More energy, better control of my diabetes, and I was sexier.
Cpap let me get the rest I needed to tackle a successful weight loss program.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:39 am

chunkyfrog wrote:When I lost nearly 40 pounds, going down to "not overweight",
It did not make a damn bit of difference with my apnea/pressure.
Losing weight was otherwise WONDERFUL! More energy, better control of my diabetes, and I was sexier.
Cpap let me get the rest I needed to tackle a successful weight loss program.
And I did the reverse. Due to a really rough last few years and emotional eating I put on 40 lbs and it didn't make one bit of difference to my pressure needs.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:08 pm

a_gunslinger wrote:My physician suggested a trend toward body size, neck size, etc being more common in OSA ....
"It's not the size of the neck on the outside. It's the size of the airway in the neck." - Dr. Mack Jones

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:13 pm

75 lbs lost. Still have severe apnea.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

a_gunslinger

Post by a_gunslinger » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Janknitz, soory about the continued OSA but CONGRATS on 75 lb weight loss!!!!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Yes, good job!

Wulfman...

Re: Anyone have weight loss solve their apnea?

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm

The chances are extremely slim. A few have reported it happening, but most do not seem to report back after a year or so, and particularly whether they had follow-up sleep studies. Lots of "skinny" or "normal" sized people have OSA, too.

But, on the other side, a goodly number of people have also reported needing even higher pressures after weight loss.

Same story with "surgeries". Most are not permanently "cured". Still require needing XPAP therapy and sometimes with higher pressures or Bi-level therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:46 pm

Thanks! I'm OK with the continued OSA. I have a very small airway, weight loss wasn't going to help in the first place. I had the apnea long before I gained the weight.

There are some people who may get off CPAP with weight loss, but often doctors suggest that we caused our OSA by gaining weight. This is nothing but fat shaming. In many cases, we had the OSA first. Apnea messes with hormones including Grehlin, Leptin, Insulin, Cortisol. Those are among the hormones that regulate our metabolism. So many of us gained weight BECAUSE of the OSA. CPAP treatment helped calm down those hormonal issues for me. I still had to make major lifestyle changes, but that would have been nearly impossible before CPAP treatment because my hormones were in such an uproar.

Because some people get off CPAP with weight loss, it's easy to wrongly assume the primary cause of OSA is excess weight. What does that say about our members here who are of normal weight or even below normal BMI?

Fat loss resulting from positive lifestyle changes, is ALWAYS a good thing. And it MAY help. But you didn't cause your OSA, and you are not a failure if your weight loss doesn't cure it.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Quickstrike

Post by Quickstrike » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:41 pm

I've actually gained about 30 lbs. since I started CPAP around October of 2014 when I started driving truck. I'm a lot more active with plenty of manual labor at my job so I'm sure some of it is muscle.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:21 pm

If you lose enough weight, and think you don't need XPAP anymore, at least your pallbearers, will get a break. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

tmoody

Post by tmoody » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:31 am

I asked my pulmonologist this question long ago, when I was first diagnosed. His answer was the same as a number of the responses in this thread. He said weight loss might result in a need for lower CPAP pressure, but it almost certainly wouldn't lead to not needing a machine at all. He pointed out, as others have done in this thread, that plenty of apnea patients have normal body weight.

My conclusion: For those of us who are overweight or obese, such as myself, weight loss is a good thing for lots of reasons, one of which is that it might reduce the severity of apnea, but it's not realistic to hope that it will cure it.