Looking for help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wacyone

Looking for help

Post by wacyone » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:46 pm

I sure miss Pugsy and all her help. She helped me back in October when I got my new BiPap Auto SV advanced. Now I am needing some answers for help for my wife. She uses a Bipap Auto with Bi-Flex. Epap is 10.0 and Ipap is 15.0. Pap mode is set to Fixed Bi-Level. She is having leak trouble. She has been sick for a long time now and has lost about 60 pounds so no fat on the cheeks. At present she is using a Mirage Quattro Full Face mask. She visited with DME yesterday and she suggested a Amara View Full face. I was reading some reviews on that one and some say hard to connect the clips and also the do unhook. So I looked at the AirFit F10 For her full face looks like about same thing only with different clips. So my question is for those of you that have used either of the new ones what can you tell me good or bad about them.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Looking for help

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:34 pm

wacyone wrote:having leak trouble
To reduce unintentional mask leak -

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

- If you still have problems, learn from the forum what mask liners are available.

- If your mask still has excessive leak, try other masks. Many people report trying several masks before they find one that works well for them.

Note: Links to just about all of the mask manufacturers' instructional videos can be found on the forum host's website - https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php

- CG
wacyone wrote:So my question is for those of you that have used either of the new ones what can you tell me good or bad about them.
It doesn't sound like your wife is a newbie, but this may help (You probably can skip the first three items):
How to Choose an Initial CPAP Mask for Newbies

1. If you had a sleep lab titration and liked the mask that was used, and that mask was recommended by your medical team, then go for it.

2. If not 1., then did your medical team recommend a nasal mask or a full face mask (FFM)? For many people, nasal masks are easier to use assuming they don't mouthbreathe, leak air out the mouth or get air inflating the cheeks while using CPAP during sleep. If you have any of these problems, you may need to use a FFM. (Despite what you may see in the forum, there are many of us that find FFMs are easy to use, do not leak and are not uncomfortable.)

3. Once you have decided whether you need to start with a nasal mask or a FFM mask, begin looking at the mask descriptions and images at https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php . This is the website of this forum's host.

4. For a newbie, you should select a popular mask that gets high rankings from the reviews. Some people in this forum get excellent usage out of masks that are not popular and do not get good reviews. They might rave about the mask to you. But for a newbie, you want to start with a popular mask with high rankings. After you get some experience, you can experiment with masks that pique your fancy but are not popular.

5. Once you have a category (nasal or FFM) of masks selected, you can go to that category on CPAP dot com's web page and sort by Biggest Sellers and then by Rating. You can check the ratings and read reviews.

6. When you receive your mask and machine, you should watch the mask manufacturer's videos (On CPAP dot com's web page) for instructions on use and adjustments.

7. If you have any problems using the mask, please start a new thread here and ask for help.

8. It's not unusual to try different masks before settling on one that works well for you. If you find yourself buying a fourth or fifth different mask, the problem may be with the way you are trying to use the masks, instead of the mask itself. Please get help from the experienced forum members.

- ChicagoGranny

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:36 pm

wacyone wrote:She has been sick for a long time now and has lost about 60 pounds so no fat on the cheeks.
Are you using SleepyHead software to monitor and manage her therapy? With the illness and the weight loss, her pressure requirements may have changed significantly.

wacyone

Post by wacyone » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:38 pm

I not only use sleepyhead but Encore 2.4 also. I have been on the machine for almost 7 years now. She is working with a Pulmonologist and gets a bang out of her reports when she brings them because "they are in color". I try to help in every way I can and that is the reason I posted today.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:15 pm

I use the Amara View and am very happy with it. It does not cover the nose, so it has less area to seal. I tried the F10, but it made my nose sore. I use a home made liner with the Amara View to help with getting it to seal on my face.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:38 pm

wacyone wrote:gets a bang out of her reports when she brings them because "they are in color"
I guess there is not much to keep entertained by in Minot, North Dakota.