Can using CPAP cause you to roll onto your back?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chakker

Can using CPAP cause you to roll onto your back?

Post by Chakker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:24 pm

It sounds like a silly question to me, but hear me out.
I am aware that sleeping on your back exacerbates snoring and sleep apnea. Well I have always slept on my side my whole life. On the VERY rare occasion I may roll onto my back but 99% of the time I would sleep on one side or the other. After being diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea I have been using a CPAP machine for a little over 3 months now. I still always go to sleep on my side. However, starting about a week ago I'm waking up to find that I rolled onto my back at some point. The reason I'm asking if the CPAP may cause this, even though it wasn't happening for the first couple months, is that prior to this I've gone my whole life without sleeping on my back even two nights in a row.

Has anyone else had the CPAP change their sleep positioning habits?

Bergie51

Re: Can using CPAP cause you to roll onto your back?

Post by Bergie51 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:35 pm

I have always slept mostly on my side, partly because my wife says I snore much less that way. I've been using a nasal pillow CPAP now for about three weeks and have found it just more comfortable to sleep on my back. My nasal fit is more secure and, with the CPAP, I don't snore on my back anymore. So I don't think it's CAUSING me to roll onto my back, I just find it more comfortable.

MrKDilkington

Post by MrKDilkington » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:59 pm

You can try the old tennis ball sewed in shirt trick but I think that works by waking you up. I use a Zzoma ($190) and it keeps my on my side without waking me up. It's expensive but works.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:14 pm

You sleep more deeply when on cpap, so you sleep differently. If you have an auto cpap it should not make a difference how you sleep as long as sleeping on your back doesn't cause your mouth to open and/or fall out of your mask.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:20 pm

You may be trying to not feel the mask that you otherwise might when on your side, but it's important to be sure you don't provoke more apneas (back sleeping does that if Cpap isn't working well) by having a good mask seal... your face changes a lot when lying on your back (it falls away from bones) so be sure you don't get large leaks then, or else work to not back sleep.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Chakker wrote:Has anyone else had the CPAP change their sleep positioning habits?
A more important question, are you using your machine display, or better yet free Sleepyhead software, to monitor the effectiveness of your CPAP therapy?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Chakker wrote:It sounds like a silly question to me, but hear me out.
I am aware that sleeping on your back exacerbates snoring and sleep apnea. Well I have always slept on my side my whole life. On the VERY rare occasion I may roll onto my back but 99% of the time I would sleep on one side or the other. After being diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea I have been using a CPAP machine for a little over 3 months now. I still always go to sleep on my side. However, starting about a week ago I'm waking up to find that I rolled onto my back at some point. The reason I'm asking if the CPAP may cause this, even though it wasn't happening for the first couple months, is that prior to this I've gone my whole life without sleeping on my back even two nights in a row.

Has anyone else had the CPAP change their sleep positioning habits?
without a camera recording what you do while you're asleep, you have no idea... with or without cpap.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:36 pm

I had an experience very similar to yours regarding side-sleeping vs back sleeping. Since CPAP I sleep more on my back (about a third of the night) and I sleep pretty decently on either side or on my back. I love to have the option of moving to different positions and it seems to relieve cramping and achy bones. I've got Sleepyhead software and that confirms my observations. For certain folks sleeping on their backs may be a problem as some of the previous replies have mentioned. I recommend you keep sleeping the way you've been doing for the past week and note any changes, positive or negative. You can always attach some tennis balls to your back later if you have to

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:I had an experience very similar to yours regarding side-sleeping vs back sleeping. Since CPAP I sleep more on my back (about a third of the night) and I sleep pretty decently on either side or on my back. I love to have the option of moving to different positions and it seems to relieve cramping and achy bones.
I would LOVE to be able to sleep on my back since he arthritis in my hips has been flaring up but then I would have to add a chin strap to keep my jaw in place and I am not there yet where the pain out weighs the chin strap.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:24 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
Sir NoddinOff wrote:I had an experience very similar to yours regarding side-sleeping vs back sleeping. Since CPAP I sleep more on my back (about a third of the night) and I sleep pretty decently on either side or on my back. I love to have the option of moving to different positions and it seems to relieve cramping and achy bones.
I would LOVE to be able to sleep on my back since he arthritis in my hips has been flaring up but then I would have to add a chin strap to keep my jaw in place and I am not there yet where the pain out weighs the chin strap.

What about the possibility of a foam topper added to the mattress? It wouldn't have to be real thick -- maybe two inches or so. Good chance it would help with the hip pain significantly.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:36 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
Have you tried a soft cervical collar?

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Cavalier

Post by Cavalier » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:04 pm

I do sleep more on my back with APAP because sleeping on my side causes the nasal pillows to not seat correctly and causes very noisy and annoying leaks. I tried a P10 nasal pillow mask for the first time last night and was more successful sleeping on my side. I also hate the cold exhalation air stream on my arms that I get from some masks if I sleep on my side. Usually, I prefer sleeping on my side. The back of my head hurts from sleeping on my back the whole night.
Given enough sleep....I could rule the world.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:13 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote:

What about the possibility of a foam topper added to the mattress? It wouldn't have to be real thick -- maybe two inches or so. Good chance it would help with the hip pain significantly.
I have a very expensive foam mattress that is wonderful other wise I would be in a lot more pain. It was my mother's before we switched her to a hospital bed and it was only just over a year old so we didn't want to get rid of it. We got it specifically for her hip and shoulder problems.

Cavalier

Post by Cavalier » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:17 pm

I have a very expensive foam mattress that is wonderful other wise I would be in a lot more pain. It was my mother's before we switched her to a hospital bed and it was only just over a year old so we didn't want to get rid of it. We got it specifically for her hip and shoulder problems.
I think I am the only one who still sleeps on a water bed. Heaven! It does help with the aches and pains.
Given enough sleep....I could rule the world.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Cavalier wrote:I think I am the only one who still sleeps on a water bed.
nope

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.