Windows 10 and SD Cards

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
theoldman22

Windows 10 and SD Cards

Post by theoldman22 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Now that I can access SH, my problem has shrunk to Windows 10 and SD cards. I can download data on the SD card (write lock on) in either ResScan or SH--no problem. When I put the card back into the S9 VPAP Auto after removing it from a Windows 10 computer, however, I get the "Invalid SD Card" message no matter which program I use for download. No only that, if I just put the card in the card reader and take it out immediately, without downloading the data, and put it back into the VPAP, I get the "invalid SD Card" message. Do not have any of these problems when using a Windows 7 computer.
If I say that I am computer semiliterate, I would be bragging. A friend of mine, who is supposed to be computer savvy, told me that the write lock on the SD card could, when it works properly (and it often does not work properly) , only protect the files on the SD card, not any of the programming on the SD card. If that is the case, and I am not qualified to judge, then no mater what card reader is used will make any difference when using a Windows 10 computer
I forgot to say that I have used two different Windows 10 computers and two different card readers--both produced the "Invalid SD Card" screen.
I have thought about replacing Windows 10 with Windows 7 on my main computer but hesitate because there might be fix available. Having to reformat the SD card every day isn't that big of a deal--but it annoys me--getting crotchety in my old age.
Thanks for all the help.

palerider

Re: Windows 10 and SD Cards

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:58 pm

theoldman22 wrote:SH--no problem.... I get the "Invalid SD Card" message no matter which program I use for download.
well, one thing I can promise you, 100%, sleepyhead *NEVER* *EVER* writes ANYTHING to the sd card... ever...

theoldman22 wrote:No only that, if I just put the card in the card reader and take it out immediately, without downloading the data, and put it back into the VPAP, I get the "invalid SD Card" message. Do not have any of these problems when using a Windows 7 computer.
it's a windows 10 (and mac, and windows 8+) "feature".
theoldman22 wrote:A friend of mine, who is supposed to be computer savvy, told me that the write lock on the SD card could, when it works properly (and it often does not work properly) , only protect the files on the SD card, not any of the programming on the SD card.

the only 'programming' on an SD card is the microcode in the embedded memory controller, and that can't be touched by any normal computer... I'm not sure what your friend meant, though.
theoldman22 wrote:If that is the case, and I am not qualified to judge, then no mater what card reader is used will make any difference when using a Windows 10 computer
a properly functioning SD card reader WILL keep windows 10 from writing it's extra files on the card.
theoldman22 wrote:I forgot to say that I have used two different Windows 10 computers and two different card readers--both produced the "Invalid SD Card" screen.
it's entirely possible that you have gotten two bad sd card readers.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:19 pm

theoldman22,

You write:
theoldman22 wrote:No only that, if I just put the card in the card reader and take it out immediately, without downloading the data, and put it back into the VPAP, I get the "invalid SD Card" message. Do not have any of these problems when using a Windows 7 computer.
The Win 7 operating system does not write "hidden" files to external storage devices (like SD cards) when they are mounted to the file system. The Win 10 operating system does write hidden files to external storage devices when they are mounted to the file system---the usual way to prevent this from happening is to use the mechanical lock switch on the card.

But some card readers do NOT recognize the mechanical lock switch. If you have a card reader that does not recognize the mechanical lock switch and you use it with a Win 10 machine, then the Win 10 operating system will write the hidden files to the card even if it's lock switch is in the locked position. The Resmed PAP machines detect the hidden files written by the Win 10 operating system and refuse to recognize the card, and that's when you get the Invalid Card error from the Resmed CPAP.

You can test whether a card reader is not recognizing the mechanical lock switch by doing the following, preferably with an SD card that does NOT hold your CPAP data:
  • Get an SD card that preferably does not have anything valuable on it. Move the lock switch to the Locked position and insert the card into the card reader.
  • Try to copy a file (any file) to the supposedly locked card.
  • If you don't get an error message and you can see the file on the SD card in the computer's file browser, then you know the card reader is ignoring the mechanical Lock switch. If you get an error message about the card being locked so the file can't be copied, you know the card reader does recognize the mechanical lock switch.
A friend of mine, who is supposed to be computer savvy, told me that the write lock on the SD card could, when it works properly (and it often does not work properly) , only protect the files on the SD card, not any of the programming on the SD card.
Programs are just special kinds of files. If the card reader recognizes the Lock switch, it should prevent the operating system from writing any new files to the card.
I forgot to say that I have used two different Windows 10 computers and two different card readers--both produced the "Invalid SD Card" screen.
Given what I've hear anecdotally that it is pretty common for "new" card readers to no longer have the hardware that is needed to detect the position of the mechanical lock switch on SD cards. Apparently it's a tiny bit cheaper to make the card readers without the thing they need to detect the lock switch.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:17 am

Theoldman22, I don't use Windows unless I'm forced, and so far don't have windows 10 here... but I did some googling, and found this article which may solve your problem with windows 10.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-s ... folder-usb

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:43 am

Well, I hope that the referenced URL helps, but I haven't had this problem at all with Windows 10. Not helpful to hear that, I realize. And I actually like Windows 10 except when I'm having problems with it *smile*, a very small percentage of the time. Anyways, I apply the read-only physical lock as soon as I take the card out of my cpap so I won't forget to do that. Works as I expect every time. The only time it hasn't worked is when the card has been in use long enough to stop working properly. I've had to replace the SD card every so often, maybe after about 18 months, more or less.

The only thing that occurs to me is that somehow your Windows system is not seeing the read-only lock. But you said that you had used two different card readers...so maybe it's the card that you have that's problematic, have you tried a different card? The first two cards that I had were actually SD cards. This last time, I couldn't find an SD card at any of the usual suspect local stores, so I got an SDHC card this time. Works fine, and it is actually a little faster to import data when I use it with the computer.

Anyways, sorry to hear that you're having all these problems, sounds frustrating. Maybe a different SD or SDHC card would help?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:06 am

RogerSC wrote:Well, I hope that the referenced URL helps, but I haven't had this problem at all with Windows 10. ....

But you said that you had used two different card readers...so maybe it's the card that you have that's problematic,
I got a friend to give it a try, and he said it worked... no "system volume information" folder created afterwards.

the write protect on a sd card is just a plastic slider, like the write protect on the old 3.5" floppies, it doesn't actually DO anything other than tell the drive not to write on the media.

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:24 am

palerider wrote:Theoldman22, I don't use Windows unless I'm forced, and so far don't have windows 10 here... but I did some googling, and found this article which may solve your problem with windows 10.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-s ... folder-usb
Thanks for digging out this link. I knew I had it somewhere ......, but I didn't have the time to go looking for it.

Susie Kay

Post by Susie Kay » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 am

theoldman22 wrote:Now that I can access SH, my problem has shrunk to Windows 10 and SD cards.
Seems to be a strange problem. I use SH with Windows 8.0, 8.1 and 10 Home and have never had a problem with the SD card.

Good luck for a speedy resolution.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:49 am

My recently widows10ized machine doesn't eat my S9 cards, either. I didn't lock the card.

It was a Win7 machine before, but I did a clean install of Win10 from CD to a blank disk. No config changes done to prevent it from screwing with SD cards, no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\DisableRemovableDriveIndexing key entry in the registry.

I did turn off AutoPlay when Win10 prompted me for an action to take when it detected the SD card.

I don't know what the difference is between SD card eating and non-eating, but who knows what evil lurks in the heart of Microsoft?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:40 pm

Susie Kay wrote:
theoldman22 wrote:Now that I can access SH, my problem has shrunk to Windows 10 and SD cards.
Seems to be a strange problem. I use SH with Windows 8.0, 8.1 and 10 Home and have never had a problem with the SD card.

it's not strange at all, you just have a cpap that doesn't care.

theoldman22

Post by theoldman22 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies. First I tried what I thought was the simplest, the following from robysue:

You can test whether a card reader is not recognizing the mechanical lock switch by doing the following, preferably with an SD card that does NOT hold your CPAP data:
•Get an SD card that preferably does not have anything valuable on it. Move the lock switch to the Locked position and insert the card into the card reader.
•Try to copy a file (any file) to the supposedly locked card.
•If you don't get an error message and you can see the file on the SD card in the computer's file browser, then you know the card reader is ignoring the mechanical Lock switch. If you get an error message about the card being locked so the file can't be copied, you know the card reader does recognize the mechanical lock switch.

Write lock did not work--was able to copy a file to the SD card while the write was on.
Now I need to find an SD card reader that is guaranteed to have a properly functioning write lock and will plug into a usb port.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:28 pm

palerider wrote:
Susie Kay wrote:

It's an S9 AutoSet. Don't they all object if you write something to the SD card?

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 pm

archangle wrote:
palerider wrote:
Susie Kay wrote:

It's an S9 AutoSet. Don't they all object if you write something to the SD card?
all what? s9 series, or all cpaps? yes, and no, respectively.

there's no indication on her post what susie is using.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:29 am

I just confirmed. My Win10 machine doesn't write anything to the card. My S9 does object if there's anything extra on the card.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:50 am

archangle wrote:I just confirmed. My Win10 machine doesn't write anything to the card. My S9 does object if there's anything extra on the card.
I'm so happy for you.

however, if you think that windows 10, by default, doesn't write things to all media that's mounted on it, then you need to google a bit more.