Newbie needs help falling asleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
grizfan

Newbie needs help falling asleep

Post by grizfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:10 pm

HI,

first post here
I picked up my CPAP machine 7 days ago. My first experience with being on a machine was during my sleep study, and it didn't go well. I started with a full-face mask, but felt very claustrophobic. I switched to a mask that just covered the nose, and that was a lot better, but I then had a very tough time dealing with the pressure. As a result, I never actually was able to fall asleep with the mask on. But, my sleep doc set up an appointment with a respiratory therapist at a nearby medical supply store, and I came home with my DreamStation DSX500H11 with humidifier and a DreamWear under the nose mask.

I feel very comfortable with the mask, but am still struggling a bit with the pressure. In fact, I wasn't able to last more than an hour the first 3 nights. But, to get used to the mask and the pressure, I did start using my machine while working on my computer, etc... At first, small goals, maybe lasting 20 minutes, things like that. That helped. I also called my doc first thing Monday morning, and he hooked me up with an Rx for Ambien. That seems to really help. I finally was able to fall asleep and last 3.5 hours, then 4.5 and finally 6.5 hours last night.

I'm definitely getting used to the pressure, but I still struggle. I feel the need to be very conscience of my breathing through my nose, and try to 'regulate' how I breath with the mask on. When I start to drift off, I forget to control my breathing, and am often startled awake by a very deep inhale. Typically, it takes me about an hour to fall asleep.

At this point, I'm trying to keep my goals simple and continue to fall asleep, stay asleep and get back to sleep should I wake up. Later, I will focus on my numbers, etc... So... any tips on falling asleep? I could listen to music, read, watch TV, play a hand-held video game, etc... I just don't know what helps and what could be hindering. I know the more I use it, the easier it gets, but anything to speed up the process will help a ton.

Additional Comments: DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11
DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11 with humidifier, DreamWear nasal pillow mask

Julie

Re: Newbie needs help falling asleep

Post by Julie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:17 pm

What are your pressures set at?

You shouldn't try to breathe for the machine - it's supposed to be the other way around - not that the machine also 'makes' you breathe, but it does adjust to your pattern so it can fix apneas. However, you said you're woken by inhalation, and that sounds like an apnea to me, which would suggest either your pressure is not necessarily high enough or else you're misinterpreting something when half awake. I understand that anxiety can be responsible for all of that, but in the end if the machine works as it's supposed to, you should be able to sleep. Some people though if on autopap do better on cpap because the changes in auto mode can awaken them.

Have you downloaded Sleepyhead software to actually see what's going on?

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:19 pm

I've learned that the later I stay up, the longer it takes me to fall asleep. Seems weird. So in the past, I used to stay up to 1-2am and it would take a longer time to fall asleep. Now days, I average around 9:30. Fall asleep in < 15 mins typically.

Also, how and where you sleep can make big difference. Where I sleep, no TV, no lights, no pets. When I go to bed, I am ready to sleep, not read a book, using my phone etc...

I sleep with headphones almost everynight as well (not earbuds). I have some "music" tracks which are good for different times. If my mind is very busy, I use some regular music tracks very low. So I can concentrate on them and let my mind let go. Almost any other time it is a sound machine (typically surf at the beach). In all cases, the volume is fairly low and I simply tune it out when I fall asleep. If I wake sometimes I don't even hear it until I try to focus on it.

Regular sleep hygiene helps too. Same process, same steps every night...

If I don't fall asleep within a 1/2 or so, I stop trying. Take the mask off, get up, leave the room, perhaps visit the restroom, go out into the living room and sit and read a bit until I feel I am tired enough to give it another shot. Staying in bed not sleeping normally doesn't work for me.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

grizfan

Post by grizfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:28 pm

Julie wrote:What are your pressures set at?

You shouldn't try to breathe for the machine - it's supposed to be the other way around - not that the machine also 'makes' you breathe, but it does adjust to your pattern so it can fix apneas. However, you said you're woken by inhalation, and that sounds like an apnea to me, which would suggest either your pressure is not necessarily high enough or else you're misinterpreting something when half awake. I understand that anxiety can be responsible for all of that, but in the end if the machine works as it's supposed to, you should be able to sleep. Some people though if on autopap do better on cpap because the changes in auto mode can awaken them.

Have you downloaded Sleepyhead software to actually see what's going on?
Thanks for the quick reply! My brain knows that I shouldn't try to breath for the machine, but I'm still dealing with some anxiety over this, unfortunately. I imagine that the more I use this, my anxiety should fade away. I'm not 100% sure on my pressure settings. I know the starting point is 6, and I set the ramp to start at 5.5, but more pressure might actually help me.
Is watching TV or reading before sleep counter-productive? or does any of that even matter?

the good news is that each night this week, it has gotten easier, so hopefully this is just a matter of time to get used to the process.

grizfan

Post by grizfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:29 pm

oh - I forgot to ask; how do I find out if my machine works with SleepyHead software?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Reading is not counterproductive, tho' staring at a screen might not be ideal. Your machine doesn't work with Sleepyhead, but there are other programs that do and hopefully someone else can help.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:51 pm

I listen to podcasts to help me fall asleep. Something about the human voice just puts me right out. Music keeps me awake. The podcasts also mask the sound of the machine, so I feel less like I have to pace my breathing to match it.

For years I have used an in ear earbud, and I had to wake enough to switch it to the other ear every time I turned over (fortunately only once or twice a night). Recently I acquired a headband that has built in very flat and thin speakers and a very long cord. I made the cord even longer by attaching a headphone extension which has a 3 way switch on it, so I can start, stop, fast forward, and adjust volume without opening my iPhone. The headband is fleece and it tends to slip over my eyes, but that seems to help me sleep as it acts a little bit like an eye mask, too.

The main podcasts I listen to is called "Sleep with Me". It's one guy who talks, tells stories, and generally bores you for about 1 hour at a time on purpose! A lot of people who listen to it know all the stories and things--I never make it past the introduction. I set my sleep timer for 30 minutes, and when I wake up later (my issue is STAYING asleep) I just turn it back on with the remote and go back to sleep.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

grizfan

Post by grizfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:06 pm

Janknitz wrote:I listen to podcasts to help me fall asleep. Something about the human voice just puts me right out. Music keeps me awake. The podcasts also mask the sound of the machine, so I feel less like I have to pace my breathing to match it.

For years I have used an in ear earbud, and I had to wake enough to switch it to the other ear every time I turned over (fortunately only once or twice a night). Recently I acquired a headband that has built in very flat and thin speakers and a very long cord. I made the cord even longer by attaching a headphone extension which has a 3 way switch on it, so I can start, stop, fast forward, and adjust volume without opening my iPhone. The headband is fleece and it tends to slip over my eyes, but that seems to help me sleep as it acts a little bit like an eye mask, too.

The main podcasts I listen to is called "Sleep with Me". It's one guy who talks, tells stories, and generally bores you for about 1 hour at a time on purpose! A lot of people who listen to it know all the stories and things--I never make it past the introduction. I set my sleep timer for 30 minutes, and when I wake up later (my issue is STAYING asleep) I just turn it back on with the remote and go back to sleep.
good call on the podcasts - and I have Sonos 1 speaker on my nightstand

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:11 pm

grizfan wrote:I'm definitely getting used to the pressure, but I still struggle. I feel the need to be very conscience of my breathing through my nose, and try to 'regulate' how I breath with the mask on. When I start to drift off, I forget to control my breathing, and am often startled awake by a very deep inhale. Typically, it takes me about an hour to fall asleep.
as julie says, the machine follows you, all it's doing is providing a constant pressure, trying to breath for the machine or something is counterproductive. just forget about it, and breath normally.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:13 pm

grizfan wrote:oh - I forgot to ask; how do I find out if my machine works with SleepyHead software?
there will be a beta of sleepyhead out soon that will support your machine, or you can compile your own copy today (it's really surprisingly easy.... I'm not a windows person and I got one to compile a couple days ago without any trouble.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

grizfan

Post by grizfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:19 pm

palerider wrote:
grizfan wrote:oh - I forgot to ask; how do I find out if my machine works with SleepyHead software?
there will be a beta of sleepyhead out soon that will support your machine, or you can compile your own copy today (it's really surprisingly easy.... I'm not a windows person and I got one to compile a couple days ago without any trouble.
Is that beta available for OS X? I'm a Mac guy...

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:21 pm

grizfan wrote:
palerider wrote:
sleepyhead is written on a mac, it compiles on windows, linux, macos, and Haiku.

grizfan

Post by grizfan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:28 pm

palerider wrote:
grizfan wrote:
palerider wrote:
sleepyhead is written on a mac, it compiles on windows, linux, macos, and Haiku.
Awesome! I'm a front-end web designer/developer, so I'd be happy to give the beta a go when it is ready...

Diamondminek

Post by Diamondminek » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:02 pm

i found guided relaxation helpful... i found some on youtube that rather than thinking about your breathing were about clenching a muscle at a time then relaxing it.... it was a distraction and an actual relaxation. now im used to the machine i can do ones focused on breathing too.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:07 pm

grizfan wrote:
palerider wrote:
grizfan wrote:
palerider wrote:
Awesome! I'm a front-end web designer/developer, so I'd be happy to give the beta a go when it is ready...
keep refreshing this page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepy ... bleBuilds/