TOTAL TIME IN APNEA INCREASED

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DeeCPAP

TOTAL TIME IN APNEA INCREASED

Post by DeeCPAP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:47 am

Note:
Pugsy and others helped me resolve this problem, but I'm leaving all the messages in tact so others may benefit.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick question. I changed headgear to a full mask a few weeks ago and Sleepyhead software said:

1) FULL: Total Time in Apnea many days showed 20, others about 10. AHI averaged less than 5. The large leaks are also higher.

2) NASAL: Total time in apnea was about zero to one. AHI less than one. Large leaks were almost zero.

Should I go back to my old mask (I don't really like it) or is my new mask data okay (it's harder to keep the leaks out when I sleep). ?
OR are both masks within normal limits?

Thanks very much!!

Additional Comments: My headgear varies (STILL!)
Last edited by DeeCPAP on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resmed S9 with humidifier and in need of the right mask.

OkyDoky

Re: TOTAL TIME IN APNEA INCREASED

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:39 am

DeeCPAP wrote:Just a quick question. I changed headgear to a full mask a few weeks ago and Sleepyhead software said:

1) FULL: Total Time in Apnea many days showed 20, others about 10. AHI averaged less than 5. The large leaks are also higher.

2) NASAL: Total time in apnea was about zero to one. AHI less than one. Large leaks were almost zero.

Should I go back to my old mask (I don't really like it) or is my new mask data okay (it's harder to keep the leaks out when I sleep). ?

With the FF mask, what made up the AHI? How many OA, CA, Hypopneas? It could be the large leaks are causing arousals and contributing to the increase. Try to decrease the leaks and see if it improves. Try watching fitting videos and look at the liners.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 am

How are you measuring "Total time in apnea?"

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:56 am

LSAT wrote:How are you measuring "Total time in apnea?"
Here they are:

Details Most Recent Last Week Last 30 Days Last 6 Months Last Year

AHI 1.80 3.75 2.35 0.89 0.56
Obstructive Index0.64 1.44 0.97 0.41 0.26
Hypopnea Index 0.51 0.59 0.41 0.16 0.10
Clear Airway Index 0.13 0.32 0.38 0.13 0.08

I think one of the problems is that I try to sleep on my side and the FF mask moves and leaks. Can't
tighten it more than it is or it'll be too tight.

Here are the others just in case they matter (numbers correspond to columns above)

Leak Statistics
Average Leak Rate 18.15 13.63 11.83 10.55 10.55
90% Leak Rate 43.20 32.40 0.00 0.00 0.00
% of time above Leak Rate threshold 27.43% 15.92% 16.24% 5.94% 3.48%

Thanks!

Last edited by DeeCPAP on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:58 am

OkyDoky wrote:
DeeCPAP wrote:Just a quick question. I changed headgear to a full mask a few weeks ago and Sleepyhead software said:

With the FF mask, what made up the AHI? How many OA, CA, Hypopneas? It could be the large leaks are causing arousals and contributing to the increase. Try to decrease the leaks and see if it improves. Try watching fitting videos and look at the liners.
Please check my other message. Typed my answer to the other message I got today.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:19 am

Look up Pappillow.com

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:23 am

DeeCPAP wrote:
Here they are:

I think one of the problems is that I try to sleep on my side and the FF mask moves and leaks. Can't

Here are the others just in case they matter (numbers correspond to columns above)

Leak Statistics

Thanks!
I see nothing serious here that requires a change. There nothing that shows time in apnea. If you would show some details from Sleepyhead it would be helpful.....Just a side note...I have been a side sleeper with a Quattro FF mask for over 6 years. I have no problems with leaks

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:12 pm

Julie wrote:Look up Pappillow.com
Thanks. Will do.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:17 pm

LSAT wrote:
DeeCPAP wrote:
Here they are:

Leak Statistics

Thanks!
I see nothing serious here that requires a change. There nothing that shows time in apnea. If you would show some details from Sleepyhead it would be helpful.....Just a side note...I have been a side sleeper with a Quattro FF mask for over 6 years. I have no problems with leaks
I'm comparing the first half of the month (nasal) with the second half FFM.
With the nasal the total *average* time was around .01
For the FFM about 10 for the month and half of those were around 20.

Thanks!

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:38 pm

DeeCPAP wrote:
LSAT wrote:
DeeCPAP wrote:

Thanks!
yes, but the question is... HOW ARE YOU GETTING THOSE NUMBERS?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:47 pm

palerider wrote:
DeeCPAP wrote:
LSAT wrote:
DeeCPAP wrote:

Thanks!
yes, but the question is... HOW ARE YOU GETTING THOSE NUMBERS?
From the SleepyHead software.

BTW, is Time in Apnea the actual time spent without breathing? Or something else?

Thanks

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:34 pm

First of all ..."time in apnea" is not a very important number. The number of times you stopped breathing and the amount of time your 02 levels drop below 90% are important. IF you feel you want to calculate "time in apnea" ...you need to look at every Apnea and Hypopnia to see how long each was and add them together for the night. If you have low AHI numbers, your time in apnea is most likely under 5 minutes for the entire 7-8 hour night.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:00 pm

LSAT wrote:First of all ..."time in apnea" is not a very important number. The number of times you stopped breathing and the amount of time your 02 levels drop below 90% are important. IF you feel you want to calculate "time in apnea" ...you need to look at every Apnea and Hypopnia to see how long each was and add them together for the night. If you have low AHI numbers, your time in apnea is most likely under 5 minutes for the entire 7-8 hour night.
sleepyhead does report that number.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:47 am

palerider wrote:
LSAT wrote:First of all ..."time in apnea" is not a very important number. The number of times you stopped breathing and the amount of time your 02 levels drop below 90% are important. IF you feel you want to calculate "time in apnea" ...you need to look at every Apnea and Hypopnia to see how long each was and add them together for the night. If you have low AHI numbers, your time in apnea is most likely under 5 minutes for the entire 7-8 hour night.
sleepyhead does report that number.
I don't like belaboring a point, but just found this older thread of messages that started in March. Only recently did I go back to the SH software and saw long periods where the total time in apnea was extremely high and the leak rate was low. In looking back, I see many dates with graphs that look similar -- low AHI's and (up to 33 obstructive apneas some lasting 40 seconds or longer mixed with shorter obstructive apneas), but they were random days, not sequential. I see very high rate of "time in apneas" over 15 min, with low leak numbers. (This info I'm siting is on the SH software in the statistics box on the left side of the screen). At that time, I wasn't checking the SH software -- just the AHI numbers on my machine.

Sorry for the repetition, but I'm a bit upset. The reason I keep asking about these things is because 1) my docs didn't notice and fix the problem and 2) I don't seem to have as much "brain power" as I did in the past and it really worries me. In fact I started this message thread back in March and couldn't follow through on it, which is why I didn't know the pressure needed to be adjusted until last week. I hope this makes sense. (I'm very worried about the "total time of the obstructive apneas have effected me adversely).

This is one example of MANY random nights of sleep. Other graphs around that same time are significantly better. I posted it before, but thought it was just one bad night, but now I'm seeing many of them from the past that look like these.

https://ibb.co/fjBXkv

https://ibb.co/fzxisa

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Which mask is simply more comfortable for you and lets you sleep better (assuming leaks don't wake you up which a totally different discussion)?
And then what is the leak rate averaging for that mask.

What is your number one goal? It's gotta be sleep first. Without good solid sleep (which you are having trouble getting for any number of reasons) it really doesn't matter how good or bad your "numbers" are.

If your sleep quality is crap and you feel like crap then it really doesn't matter how good the leak rate is or how low the AHI is or how minimal the time in apnea is.

Pick a mask that you like and is comfortable and you feel you can get the best sleep with and let's see if leaks are bad enough to seriously impact the therapy accuracy.

I had trouble understanding the above statement.

My suggestion...quit basing what you "should do" on old reports because most of those were reports where the pressure setting was far from optimal.
Start concentrating on the quality of sleep you are getting now and the data you are getting now ...now that you are using the higher minimum pressure.
Those old nights...those are long past gone and done and you can't do a darn thing about them anyway.
Concentrate on the new settings results and whichever mask you personally just like better...then go from there.
It's really not a fair comparison to try to compare old results with new results from the newer more optimal pressure anyway. Apples and oranges.

So again...which mask do you simply like better NOW with the new settings? If the leak rate isn't horribly horrible and you are sleeping better and feeling decent then I think you probably have your answer there. Remember...if you do have a period of time in really, really big leak the accuracy of the data only comes into question for that time in really big leak. The rest of the time the data is accurate anyway.
If the leak rate is horrible with the mask you prefer...let's see what we can do to make the leak less horribly horrible.
You gotta get the sleep first...nothing else matters if you aren't sleeping.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.