What is the Data Trail of CPAP Data?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jarhtmd

What is the Data Trail of CPAP Data?

Post by jarhtmd » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:53 pm

What are the specific steps & procedures for data gathering & processing data . . . (from CPAP) . . . transmissions/transfers (to whomever) . . . later manipulations/calculations . . . storage, etc? I know that data is stored on the SD card & the modem automatically transmits it (to somewhere) "at the proper time". What happens to it then? Surely, everything is done electronically . . . but a situation has occurred where all the evidence points me to human intervention & error.

Julie

Re: What is the Data Trail of CPAP Data?

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:00 pm

If you're a new user and have insurance, your plan may say that for a certain period of time (x mos.) your machine transmits data via the modem back to the DME or doctor who then forwards it to your insce. co. so they'll pay for your machine. They don't care about settings or anything, only that you used it for at least 4 hrs/night for a specific # of nights.

Data otherwise means - to anyone who's either past the insce. co's data gathering stage of x months - when you use not the supplied modem, but your own SD card and software program (e.g. Sleepyhead - free to DL from the forum) and computer to see how you slept with Cpap overnight from various parameters such as AHI, pressures, mask and/or mouth breathing leaks, flow rates, etc. etc. and that data is all yours to work with... nothing to do with the DME, inssurance or the MD. Most of us use this data to tweak i.e. pressure settings if we feel the need after reading the reports from SH (combined with how we feel).

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:41 pm

Without knowing what machine you are talking about and the details of the incident people can't really answer you.

It is a lot like asking "What millage does a vehicle get?" with out specifying the make or model or even the kind of fuel. Hey my bicycle will do 10 miles on my good days in the summer. It doesn't do any miles after the snow falls.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

jarhtmd

Post by jarhtmd » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:52 pm

Thank you, Julie, for your prompt reply.

I've already fulfilled insurance requirements. I get frustrated with DME wanting to send everything (including the kitchen sink), because "Medicare will pay for it". My answer is always "& that's why taxes are so high".

Having to physically remove the SD card seems like a deterrent for me to use SleepyHead (right now), because I can so easily check certain data when I'm on the computer checking e-mail, etc. It just seems like such a hassle. I may (probably will) do that in the future; just not right now.

You bring up the most critical issue that I have . . . Most of us use this data to tweak i.e. pressure settings if we feel the need after reading the reports from SH (combined with how we feel).

I know, by reviewing, my spreadsheet of AHI, pressures, mask or leaks (& how I feel) that my AHI dropped drastically when my pressure was increased (by DME at doctor's orders) from 8 to 11. That increase was the result of a dr appt that I insisted upon 6 months early, because my AHI's had been very high (& all over the ballpark) and my leaks had been virtually zero.

It has only been 2 weeks, but I'm miserable & really want to drop back to 9 to see how that works. My doctor told me specifically, in answer to my direct question, that I could only change the setting for humidity & ramp time.

How do I change the pressure? Do I have to get the doctor to remove restrictions?

Last night I turned off CPAP after 3 hours because of the discomfort . . . dry mouth, etc.

jarhtmd

Post by jarhtmd » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:03 pm

BlackSpinner,

My question was more like asking which route does the mail carrier use to take my letter to the post office, how/when does it go to Grandma's house, etc. Granted the mail carrier may go over the mountain in the summer, but around the mountain after a snow. I was not asking what will Grandma's reply be.

Describing the specific "situation" that I mentioned would lead replies for solving the "situation". That's not my objective in this thread.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:15 pm

jarhtmd wrote:How do I change the pressure? Do I have to get the doctor to remove restrictions?
Generally speaking you can change the pressure of your machine without the doctor's intervention. We can't tell you how unless you tell us what type of machine you have (Generally by adding the information via "control panel")
See this site for an overview of resources and links regarding machines and software: https://sleep.tnet.com/main

wm_hess

Post by wm_hess » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:16 pm

There is a SD card called flash air I believe that can transmit your data to your computer and then into sleepy head. Search for flash air in the forum for more information. I'm on mobile, so I can't tell what your equipment is, but I'm assuming you have a data capable CPAP device. Sleepyhead is a very good, free program written by one of our members, and provides significantly more information than most of the online sites provided by the hardware makers

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:28 pm

jarhtmd wrote:BlackSpinner,

My question was more like asking which route does the mail carrier use to take my letter to the post office, how/when does it go to Grandma's house, etc. Granted the mail carrier may go over the mountain in the summer, but around the mountain after a snow. I was not asking what will Grandma's reply be.

Describing the specific "situation" that I mentioned would lead replies for solving the "situation". That's not my objective in this thread.
Without knowing the equipment people can't help with details. Do you really think the hardware and software is exactly the same for each machine out there?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:30 pm

You can find the clinician manual at Apneaboard.com - may have to scroll right down on ? 2nd pg or so, but it should be there and will tell you all you want to know if someone here doesn't do it first for you. I also suggest getting another doctor if he takes that attitude - terrible in this day and age, condescending, controlling and unhelpful at best.

And Black Spinner - why be so rude for no reason?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Julie wrote:
And Black Spinner - why be so rude for no reason?
Since when is it rude to explain he will get better help if he gives enough information so that people don't have to waste their time playing guessing games?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:06 pm

jarhtmd wrote:BlackSpinner,

My question was more like asking which route does the mail carrier use to take my letter to the post office, how/when does it go to Grandma's house, etc. Granted the mail carrier may go over the mountain in the summer, but around the mountain after a snow.
the fact is, .... it doesn't matter how the mail carrier gets to her house, not to you, or to Grandma.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Julie wrote:And Black Spinner - why be so rude for no reason?
how was blackspinner rude?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jarhtmd

Post by jarhtmd » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:23 pm

I was rude to Blackspinner and I apologize, specifically to Blackspinner and generally to everyone else.

However, it does matter how the mail gets to Grandma. Because that was my question. It may not be important to anybody else, but it (the data trail . . . not the mail), but it is important to me. The "situation" that prompted me to ask the question is irrelevant to my question.

Again, I apologize for being rude.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Black Spinner's last line - "Do you really think... " seemed too confrontational and bordering on sarcastic.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Julie wrote:Black Spinner's last line - "Do you really think... " seemed too confrontational and bordering on sarcastic.