new to CPAP: are nasal pillows bad w/year-round allergies?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: new to CPAP: are nasal pillows bad w/year-round allergies?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:38 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I have taken Claritin, and then its generic, Loratadine, for years.
Do you take that daily and year-round? If you skip a couple of days, what happens?

ShannonCC

Post by ShannonCC » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:19 am

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been to an allergist. I have two different prescriptions I take for when I'm around cats, but even those don't work well enough for night time allergies. OTCs didn't work, neither did a Neti pot. Benadryl worked but I'd wake up feeling like a truck hit me (which I now understand might be because of the apnea?). So at this point I just don't bother trying to treat my allergies for the most part (except those cats ).

Now that I'm about to go on an apnea machine I'm wondering if I should try again. But for some of us, it's not that we didn't try, it's that we haven't found anything that works.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:57 pm

ShannonCC wrote:Now that I'm about to go on an apnea machine I'm wondering if I should try again.
If you do try, I suggest this:
ShannonCC wrote:Neti pot
and
chunkyfrog wrote:generic, Loratadine
or generic Xyrtec.

Keep alert for side effects.

CPAP itself may help with your allergies. You will be breathing filtered, humidified air eight or so hours per day.