Should I be dissapointed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
maramane

Should I be dissapointed

Post by maramane » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Started with APAP mid January with very high AHI of 57. Been using APAP quite successfully with AHI under 5 most nights and very few leaks. Over 7 hours per night on average. But I'm not really feeling any different yet. No noticeable increase in energy. How long does it usually take before one notices a significant improvement?

BlackSpinner

Re: Should I be dissapointed

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:09 pm

Anywhere from 1 day to a year.
Start keeping diary. A lot of early changes are very subtle mood changes.

Remember you have been doing a number on your organs, including your brain, for many years and it takes time to rebuild.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 pm

It's possible that OSA is only partially responsible for your lack of energy...Have you had a complete physical with blood work?

maramane

Post by maramane » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:16 pm

LSAT wrote:It's possible that OSA is only partially responsible for your lack of energy...Have you had a complete physical with blood work?
Yes, I've had all kinds of tests. I'm pretty healthy otherwise. I have noticed two improvements--no more snoring which my spouse loves of course, and only get up at most once to pee.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:21 pm

My sleep Dr. Said it takes 6 months for your brain to recover. I'd say it took me a year to where I feel all the effects of the therapy. It's a slow process.
I imagine everyone will be different.

The lower you can get your AHI the better. Technically AHI 5 is considered treated. But you are still waking up 5 times every hour. My AHI is usually under 1. When it is higher than 3, I can tell a difference in the way I feel. You may want to look into adjuting your setting to get a lower AHI.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:48 pm

What are your pressure settings? Often the doctor or DME will leave them at defaults of 4 and 20, and most people don't get adequate treatment until the low setting is moved up a bit, to e.g. 6 or 7.

maramane

Post by maramane » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Julie wrote:What are your pressure settings? Often the doctor or DME will leave them at defaults of 4 and 20, and most people don't get adequate treatment until the low setting is moved up a bit, to e.g. 6 or 7.
I am on CPAP 8

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Ok... you said you were on Apap (above), and your machine's an Auto(set), but now you say you're on Cpap 8, so can we take that to mean your in Cpap mode (on the auto machine) with only a fixed pressure rather than a high and a low setting?

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:38 pm

I know that a couple of months in I was questioning if I felt better. Then our power went out one night. Boy did I feel like true hell the next day. So yeah, I was feeling better but it was so incremental it was hard to notice from day to day.

maramane

Post by maramane » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Julie wrote:Ok... you said you were on Apap (above), and your machine's an Auto(set), but now you say you're on Cpap 8, so can we take that to mean your in Cpap mode (on the auto machine) with only a fixed pressure rather than a high and a low setting?
Yes exactly

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Get Sleepyhead and see if something can be adjusted to decrease you events. While under 5 is considered treated many of us feel better if we can get it to 2 or less. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead Once you have Sleepyhead you can then read how to post here. There are 3 pages so when you get to the bottom of the page please click to continue.https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

GettingBetter

Post by GettingBetter » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:27 pm

maramane wrote:Started with APAP mid January with very high AHI of 57. Been using APAP quite successfully with AHI under 5 most nights and very few leaks. Over 7 hours per night on average. But I'm not really feeling any different yet. No noticeable increase in energy. How long does it usually take before one notices a significant improvement?
Hi Maramane,

Well, it isn't easy to be patient with oneself. I've gone from a Sleep study ahi of 134.8 in November to an ahi of 0.31 this past Saturday (usually it is below 3 for the past couple of weeks). I feel better, but not energetic like I did before - like I remember years ago. It's been about three months. Like you I've struggled with some disappointment. Here's how I shoved my disappointment in a jar for later:

<1> CPAP is part of my self care. It is only part of self care. I have to take good care of myself with good food and treatment while avoiding habits that take away from being good to myself. I employ good sleep hygiene, don't smoke or drink, take my medicines as prescribed.

<2> I recognize I haven't been good to myself in the past. I've ignored signs of apnea and other health problems. It will take time to regain any strength or well being. Being patient is part of my self care. Worry and disappointment do not add anything of value to my well being (or anyone else's.) I am good to my self when I am patient with myself.

<3> I recognize that I can be harder on myself than anyone else can be. I try to treat myself like I would a friend. I wouldn't ask my friend when they planned to get over their health problems. I should set expectations for myself that are in line with reality, not fantasy. It has taken several years to get here and feeling better is going to take some time and effort.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:37 pm

Keeping a journal is a great idea. I wish I had.
Most of my "enhancements" sneaked up on me when I wasn't looking.
One day I suddenly realized I had chased my toddler grandson a full block--without getting winded.
Another time, my boss COMPLIMENTED me on my improved problem-solving and memory.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:04 am

It took quite a while to feel better, but almost immediately I could drive home from work without feeling like I should pull over and take a nap.

maramane

Post by maramane » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:35 am

Many thanks to all of you. I will be patient and look for clues. I ratcheted up my CPAP to 9 last night and got the AHI to 1.5! Best score yet.