mild OSA but snoring?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ShannonCC

mild OSA but snoring?

Post by ShannonCC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:06 pm

I'm new to all this so bear with me because I don't know all the lingo yet

I just got diagnosed with OSA. I talked to the doctor today. She said my apnea episodes were only 7 per hour, but I am waking 20 times per hour because I'm waking myself up with my snoring. I am only aware of waking up ever hour and a half or 2 hours (unless I have a good night!) but I understand that it's typical to wake so briefly you don't even notice so I guess that's me.

So, does anyone else here have mild OSA, but a more severe problem with snoring? The doctor said it was "interesting" lol! But most importantly, she thinks the machine will help with both that and the apnea episodes, so we're trying that (she said APAP, not CPAP though).

LSAT

Re: mild OSA but snoring?

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Fill in your equipment profile and let us know the pressure settings. Download sleepyhead software. CPAP definitely helps to eliminate snoring.

Last edited by LSAT on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Do whatever you have can to not sleep on your back - it provokes more events (and snoring).

ShannonCC

Post by ShannonCC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:27 pm

I don't have the machine yet, I just got the official diagnosis yesterday. I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who has snoring that has been helped by a CPAP or APAP. I wasn't aware that snoring on it's own, without apnea, could be an issue!

And Julie, I do try and sleep on my side and thought I was doing well but the sleep study said I was turning on to my back. I occasionally wake up on my back but I guess I'm doing it more than I thought. Huh.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi, there are ways to help stay off your back, e.g. foam wedges behind you, wearing a backpk to bed til you naturally stay on your side, sewing tennis balls into your jammies...

And snoring is very often the first sign of apnea, though you can have apnea without snoring (but only very occasionally snoring without apnea). The point is that while your snoring will likely be helped by Cpap... you use Cpap to deal with apneas, not to cure snoring, which is only a symptom. Apnea can kill you, snoring won't.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Yes, snoring can be helped by cpap treatment. I don't snore at all any more. My snoring was so bad Mr. Cardsfan had to sleep in another room. Now he says I don't snore at all with my apap.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Snoring is a "wannabe Apnea" for many people. Your throat collapses just a bit but enough to make a not nice noise. It also can reduce the air going through enough to cause O2 problems.

My snoring disappeared. In fact the first week I had my cpap my daughter came tearing into my bedroom at 3am when she got home from a party to shake me awake because she was sure I had died because I wasn't snoring like"a Mama bear" .

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:32 pm

ShannonCC wrote:I wasn't aware that snoring on it's own, without apnea, could be an issue!
ShannonCC wrote:I am waking 20 times per hour because I'm waking myself up with my snoring.
If you sleep seven hours, that is 140 awakenings. What if there was a bell in your bedroom that rang 140 times per night? Do you think you would be healthy?
Snoring can cause disruptions to your own sleep and your bed-partner's sleep. It can lead to fragmented and un-refreshing sleep which translates into poor daytime function (tiredness and sleepiness). The two most common adverse health effects that are believed to be casually linked to snoring are daytime dysfunction and heart disease.

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disor ... rs/snoring

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Apneas have to last 10 seconds to be counted as an apnea. With your snoring it may be a shorter obstruction that wakes you up before "qualifying".
The nice thing about an auto APAP machine is that your pressure may remain lower for most of the night but when you go into REM or roll on your back the machine can increase pressure to meet your needs.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

ShannonCC

Post by ShannonCC » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Blackspinner, that is a funny story

Ok, thank you for the answers. Still waiting on insurance (should be ok, but the gears move slowly). Waking 20 times per hour does explain a LOT, let me tell you My fingers are crossed for all this.

yippeekia

Post by yippeekia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:44 pm

My partner reports that I no longer snore. Now both of us almost always sleep through the night. It took us a short time to get use to the noise of the APAP. But that was so much easier than the snoring.

Good luck and best wishes on improving your health through better sleep.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:31 pm

I spoke to a tech. She said that an apnea is only considered a "real" event when the O2 fall below 3%. She said they actually see it happening when there is only snoring! And it happens often. More specifically without an apnea even the snoring alone can cause the O2 to go below it's previous reading by 3% or more; thus resulting in their counting the snoring event as an apnea! Wonder if this is true. If it is; then it surely shows snoring to be dangerous; at least for some people!

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:03 pm

Uhhh.. I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense actually... I have no idea where she got 3% (of what?) from, but for one thing, 02 desats are not everything, just one of the better indicators of apnea and some people don't desat below 88 at all (88's considered to be the line below which you don't want your 02 to go for any length of time. Apneas are considered to be apneas if they last at least 10 seconds apart from anything else however. And of course snoring is a symptom of apnea, but unless other things are measured, just snoring alone can't be a gauge of definitely having apnea, or to what extent. In itself it's not 'dangerous', but what it signifies certainly can be.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm sure he meant that she said "falls BY 3%'

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:00 am

No problem with the English, but I still didn't understand the meaning... but on re-reading I realize they meant 'below its previous reading', which didn't register well late last night.