How to set BiPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
K5MOW

How to set BiPAP

Post by K5MOW » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:30 am

Good morning everyone

I have been on CPAP now about five years and my pressure is 11 cm. my wife was also diagnosed with sleep apnea about five years ago and was prescribed a PR System one REMStar biPAP auto with humidifier.

Here is my question my wife has never used her machine it just sits in the closet. I am having some trouble with mine. I would like to program hers to work regular CPAP 11 cm. The problem is when I get into the programming menu the machine has the option of BiPAP or auto. I assume I would put it on auto but how would I set the two upper and lower menu numbers to work 11 cm. I saw my doctor yesterday and she has no problem with me using that machine and she said it would work but I would probably have a hard time finding someone to program it for me. Can anyone tell me how to set up this machine to work 11 cm.

Thanks so much Roger
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

OkyDoky

Re: How to set BiPAP

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:14 am

What is the machine you are trying to program? Is it a Respironics 760 or a different one? Do you use Sleepyhead to monitor your data?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:26 am

OkyDoky wrote:What is the machine you are trying to program? Is it a Respironics 760 or a different one? Do you use Sleepyhead to monitor your data?
It is the PR system one biPAP REMStar Auto.

Roger

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:27 am

K5MOW wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:What is the machine you are trying to program? Is it a Respironics 760 or a different one? Do you use Sleepyhead to monitor your data?
It is the PR system one biPAP REMStar Auto.
Philips Respironics.

Roger

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:34 am

look on the bottom for .... REF 760p ... do you see a number like that ?
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

stienman

Post by stienman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:40 am

You should be able to follow these instructions:

http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one ... structions

Or do a search for the make, model and words "clinical manual" to find the manual doctors, techs, and DME providers use to set the machine up.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:41 am

Since a bipap provides less pressure on exhale you might need a little more IPAP than your now 11 CPAP pressure. I would set the pressure at 12CM IPAP and 8 EPAP see how that feels and monitor with Sleepyhead. Do you already have it downloaded? With the Biflex settings that is for comfort and you can play with them to see what feels best. Find out the number on the bottom of the blower. Take the water out first . It should say REF###. If you don't already have the clinical menu you can get it here. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual Scroll down to section three and follow instructions to have them email it to you. IF you don't have Sleepyhead here is a link to tell you how.https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:56 am

grayghost4 wrote:look on the bottom for .... REF 760p ... do you see a number like that ?
I will look at it when I get home.

Roger

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 am

I agree with OkyDoky. If you are having problems with your current CPAP, you are going to love BiPAP, but you will need to set it in Auto BiPAP mode to take advantage of the separate exhale and inhale pressures. Given your current CPAP setting of 11.0, the following settings should be a good start for you:
EPAP min 8.0
PS min 2.0
PSmax 4.0
IPAP max 16

With these settings, the machine will start with IPAP/EPAP pressure of 10 /8.0 and will automatically increase pressures as needed. Optimization of this pressure, depends on what you observe. If you have obstructive events, you will raise EPAP. If you want more pressure difference between exhale and inhale for comfort, then you increase PSmin. Give it some time, but I think you're really going to like this. To access the clinical menu, just follow these instructions: http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one ... structions

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:12 am

Sleeprider wrote:I agree with OkyDoky. If you are having problems with your current CPAP, you are going to love BiPAP, but you will need to set it in Auto BiPAP mode to take advantage of the separate exhale and inhale pressures. Given your current CPAP setting of 11.0, the following settings should be a good start for you:
EPAP min 8.0
PS min 2.0
PSmax 4.0
IPAP max 16

With these settings, the machine will start with IPAP/EPAP pressure of 10 /8.0 and will automatically increase pressures as needed. Optimization of this pressure, depends on what you observe. If you have obstructive events, you will raise EPAP. If you want more pressure difference between exhale and inhale for comfort, then you increase PSmin. Give it some time, but I think you're really going to like this. To access the clinical menu, just follow these instructions: http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one ... structions
Thanks. Sleeprider. Since I use fixed Bipap, I forget about the auto. Yours suggestions sound like a good plan to me.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:27 am

In case you don't know what PS means, it is Pressure Support and that is the difference between your IPAP and EPAP.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:29 am

OkyDoky wrote:
Sleeprider wrote:I agree with OkyDoky. If you are having problems with your current CPAP, you are going to love BiPAP, but you will need to set it in Auto BiPAP mode to take advantage of the separate exhale and inhale pressures. Given your current CPAP setting of 11.0, the following settings should be a good start for you:
EPAP min 8.0
PS min 2.0
PSmax 4.0
IPAP max 16

Thanks. Sleeprider. Since I use fixed Bipap, I forget about the auto. Yours suggestions sound like a good plan to me.
Those pressures err on the low side, but the auto algorithm is meant to increase pressure for obstructive breathing patterns...it should be okydoky

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:39 am

I think everyone misunderstood my issue with my current CPAP machine. The machine is malfunctioning and doesn't work correctly. But the 11 cm always has giving me good results my doctor just yesterday looked at the SD
Card and said my 11 cm was working perfectly. I would like to set up that BiPAP machine to work exactly like my CPAP machine at 11 cm. meaning I would like to set the BiPAP machine to work exactly like my CPAP machine set for 11 cm. can anyone tell me how to set the menu settings for this.

Roger

Roger

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 am

Are these suggested settings are for a straight cpap setting with a pressure setting of 11?

Sheriff

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:49 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Are these suggested settings are for a straight cpap setting with a pressure setting of 11?

Sheriff
Yes that is straight CPAP settings for me 11 cm. I would like to set that BiPAP machine to work as a CPAP with straight 11 cm or as close as I can.

Roger