Have you ever replaced your 1st CPAP with a newer model?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lindaleo

Re: Have you ever replaced your 1st CPAP with a newer model?

Post by lindaleo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:13 am

HI. Definitely go see your doctor and get a new machine!

I've been on cpap for 10 years. Last summer (2014) I'd been very fatigued, and my regular MD said "the first place I'd look is at your sleep apnea." Then we talked about how long I'd been on therapy, when I got my machine, etc., and he said that they'd made many innovations since I got mine.

Great call! I went to see my sleep doctor (bad girl, hadn't been in many years). I had another sleep study. They put me on a auto-pap macine for the test. At first I didn't like it while I tried to fall asleep ... but once I did, I had the best sleep I'd had in years.

And it's continued to be great. I haven't slept this well, ever, I think. (Evidently I've had sleep apnea since I was a kid. Who knew?)

My internist was absolutely correct. The machines they have now are a far cry from what they used to be. They're much more comfortable, and are all digitized and have all sorts of bells and whistles.

Definitely go see your sleep doctor and start the process! You'll feel so much better.

lindaleo

Post by lindaleo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:15 am

PS - I did keep my old machine just in case I ever needed a backup ... but it's gathering dust. )

lindaleo

Post by lindaleo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:25 am

If I may reply yet again ... if affordability is a factor, check with your sleep doctor. I was very surprised (and pleased) to know that he keeps machines on hand to lend/give to people when they can't afford a machine. I was kind of bowled over by that. He's not exactly Mr. Warm and Fuzzy but clearly he cares about his patients.

Also, I read about a program that provides used cpap machines to people who need them. Here's a link:

http://www.chestphysician.org/?id=33765 ... a9cec29960

This was from 2014 so not sure if they're still available, but would definitely pay to find out.

dvejr

Post by dvejr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Thanks for suggesting I donate my soon-to-be-retired REMstar Pro 2 to a charitable organization. I'll research that possibility....

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:14 am

On my third. And my DME is hassling me to get a new machine!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:49 pm

LinkC wrote:On my third. And my DME is hassling me to get a new machine!
He needs new tires for his Cadillac SUV! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:37 pm

dvejr wrote:Thanks for suggesting I donate my soon-to-be-retired REMstar Pro 2 to a charitable organization. I'll research that possibility....
again, having a spare machine around is a GOOD idea, whether it's in the closet in case your new one dies suddenly, or by your easy chair in the den in case you want to take a nap... a second machine can be quite handy.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dvejr

Post by dvejr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:09 pm

palerider wrote: again, having a spare machine around is a GOOD idea, whether it's in the closet in case your new one dies suddenly, or by your easy chair in the den in case you want to take a nap... a second machine can be quite handy.
Thanks. I have a second machine, my battery-operated Everest 2. But I'm known as a belt AND suspenders kind of guy, so maybe I'll keep the REMstar...