More tired using BIPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepyv

More tired using BIPAP

Post by Sleepyv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:41 pm

I have been using Bipap for about 2 months. I am feeling way worse on in than before I started using it. Is this normal. My machine shows I have no large leaks and it is controlling my apnea from about 25 apnea an hour to less than 2. The mask seems comfortable and I can usually sleep 4 to 6 hours with it. I wake up thinking I had a good night but after and hour or so realize I'm exhausted. Has anyone had this problem. I thought I would be used to it by now?

OkyDoky

Re: More tired using BIPAP

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Sleepyv wrote:I have been using Bipap for about 2 months. I am feeling way worse on in than before I started using it. Is this normal. My machine shows I have no large leaks and it is controlling my apnea from about 25 apnea an hour to less than 2. The mask seems comfortable and I can usually sleep 4 to 6 hours with it. I wake up thinking I had a good night but after and hour or so realize I'm exhausted. Has anyone had this problem. I thought I would be used to it by now?
We need to start off with more information. Please register your machine. This link may help you. wiki/index.php/Registering_Equipment_in_User_Profile
If the machine doesn't show up you can type it in the Edit Signature area and it will show up. We also need to know your machine settings.
Are you monitoring your data with software such as Sleepyhead? Why are you only getting 4 to 6 hrs of sleep? I would be exhausted with that. Do you go to sleep with out the machine?
Don't give up. People progress at different rates but you have made a good decision to come here and have support.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:14 pm

I think you build up such a sleep debt over the years that when your body finally gets some good sleep it craves as much as it can get for a few months. Just my opinion, but that is my experience as well. Overall, I feel MUCH better physically and mentally.

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:53 pm

I can't get it to show my Bipap under my profile.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Sleepyv wrote:I can't get it to show my Bipap under my profile.
Some don't show just type it into the Edit Signature area. If it is Respironics take the water out and also list the REF# on the bottom of the blower.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:14 pm

I see that there is a gap of over a year from the time you were having trouble on cpap and this post about bipap. Having you been using cpap and just switched to bipap or are you starting over? Hopefully once you give us more information we can give you more targeted responses. Did you get another sleep study before going on the bipap? If so, I'd be interested in those results. About your 4-6 hours of sleep - are you unable to fall back asleep?

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:02 pm

I am starting over. I was diagnosed with mild apnea years ago. Did not use any machine because I couldn't tolerate it but only tried it for a few days and gave up.
I did a home sleep study and the DR. said he was surprised how bad my apnea had gotten. I had about 20 events per hour and about 40 when I was on my back.

That scared me enough to want to give it another try. I will be 2months I have been using my BiPap this week, but I don't feel any improvement at all. Am more tired than before I was on machine. My settings are 12 and 8. Im not real knowledgeable about all the sleep terms yet, so bare with me.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:10 pm

But why aren't you sleeping longer, Cpap or not - anyone would feel lousy on 4 hrs sleep. Are you having a hard time falling asleep, or do you just wake up much earlier than would be a good idea?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Sleepyv wrote:I am starting over. I was diagnosed with mild apnea years ago. Did not use any machine because I couldn't tolerate it but only tried it for a few days and gave up.
I did a home sleep study and the DR. said he was surprised how bad my apnea had gotten. I had about 20 events per hour and about 40 when I was on my back.

That scared me enough to want to give it another try. I will be 2months I have been using my BiPap this week, but I don't feel any improvement at all. Am more tired than before I was on machine. My settings are 12 and 8. Im not real knowledgeable about all the sleep terms yet, so bare with me.
It sounds like you have either a 660 or 760 machine, the 660 is a fixed bipap and the 760 is an auto bipap. Is going to sleep a problem or waking up before you want to wake up? Are you comfortable sleeping with the machine?
Do you have Sleepyhead and are you monitoring your data? This site will help you download Sleepyhead https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead and then we can help you with posting screenshots to see if there is anything we can see that might help to optimize your therapy. It sounds like the numbers you are seeing are ok but someone might see something on the graphs that could help.

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:43 pm

Julie wrote:But why aren't you sleeping longer, Cpap or not - anyone would feel lousy on 4 hrs sleep. Are you having a hard time falling asleep, or do you just wake up much earlier than would be a good idea?

I usually don't have a problem falling asleep but I do wake up a few times during night, and at about 4am I take it off and go back to sleep without it for 3 to 4 more hours.

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:51 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
Sleepyv wrote:I am starting over. I was diagnosed with mild apnea years ago. Did not use any machine because I couldn't tolerate it but only tried it for a few days and gave up.

It sounds like you have either a 660 or 760 machine, the 660 is a fixed bipap and the 760 is an auto bipap. Is going to sleep a problem or waking up before you want to wake up? Are you comfortable sleeping with the machine?
Do you have Sleepyhead and are you monitoring your data? This site will help you download Sleepyhead https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead and then we can help you with posting screenshots to see if there is anything we can see that might help to optimize your therapy. It sounds like the numbers you are seeing are ok but someone might see something on the graphs that could help.
I use the Dream Mapper. I don't know if Sleepyhead will work, I don't use a SD card, I have a modem on my machine. I feel like I'm, sleeping pretty well on it but
so tired and do have headaches some days.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Sleepyv wrote:I use the Dream Mapper. I don't know if Sleepyhead will work, I don't use a SD card, I have a modem on my machine. I feel like I'm, sleeping pretty well on it but
You can use Sleepyhead. The modem just pops off and there may already be a SD card in the slot but if not you can use any 2-4 GB cheap SD card. Then after you read the card just put it back and pop the modem back on.
You know that you are only treating half of your apneas by not putting that mask back on when you go back to sleep. So I'm not surprised you still have fatigue. What's keeping you from putting it back on? Taking it off is a bad habit to get into that your brain learns to accept.

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:42 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
Sleepyv wrote:I use the Dream Mapper. I don't know if Sleepyhead will work, I don't use a SD card, I have a modem on my machine. I feel like I'm, sleeping pretty well on it but
You can use Sleepyhead. The modem just pops off and there may already be a SD card in the slot but if not you can use any 2-4 GB cheap SD card. Then after you read the card just put it back and pop the modem back on.
You know that you are only treating half of your apneas by not putting that mask back on when you go back to sleep. So I'm not surprised you still have fatigue. What's keeping you from putting it back on? Taking it off is a bad habit to get into that your brain learns to accept.
Thank you for the help about Sleepyhead and tonight I'll keep it on no matter how many times I wake up.

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Sleepyv wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:
Thank you for the help about Sleepyhead and tonight I'll keep it on no matter how many times I wake up.
Will the software tell if I'm mouth breathing? Thought that might be a reason for the tiredness.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:54 pm

How many times a night are you waking up? Do you know why you wake up, pain, leaks, bathroom break, noise, dry mouth, etc.? Is this a long term problem with sleep maintainance or only with CPAP?
The software will show leaks and the leaks have a shape that points to mouth breathing. Leaks are an important reason to look at your data.